How to sum up Orion

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The purpose of ORION is not to save miles.
The purpose of ORION...is to justify the $1.6 billion that has been spent on ORION, and to enhance the job security of the people who made the decision to spend $1.6 billion on ORION.

I heard the number was $300 million.

But, with all the failures (of Orion) it probably adds up quick.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
That's the most frustrating part especially if you're in the blind.
Here's a frustrating hack. In the Orion computers you can add the 'priority indicator' column and all of the businesses that can't be found with 23:59 commits will be flagged as 'Priority' stops while buried between 'PMNonPriority' stops.

So that means they know about the business (or other important location) to some extent but still do not correctly give them 17:00 commit times.

iowa boy

Here's a frustrating hack. In the Orion computers you can add the 'priority indicator' column and all of the businesses that can't be found with 23:59 commits will be flagged as 'Priority' stops while buried between 'PMNonPriority' stops.

So that means they know about the business (or other important location) to some extent but still do not correctly give them 17:00 commit times.

I our building, this would require taking the time to actually do this, and none of our management team has the "time" to do this so it becomes the drivers fault when a service failure happens due to orion's stupidity.

bumped

They know which stops are businesses. The business stops are suppose to be held from Saturday deliveries.

JL 0513

I'd love to know why they developed a program that always needs to be "fixed". The data is all in there unless it's a new business, new street, etc. But the system knows what are business's and what isn't. It knows the gps location of every established address. With all this knowledge, Orion shouldn't have to be massaged with constant human input to function. It's supposed to be a self working algorithm.

Google links all human knowledge and information in existence.
Facebook archives the lives of way over a billion people.
Amazon lists and sells 700 million products in and easy to use and find format with one click purchasing.

UPS can't write a delivery program? Imagine if you gave Google the assignment to write such an algorithm? They'd laugh at the relative simplicity of it.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
So yesterday, I did not even come close to running Orion trace.
I ran it my way.
Same amount of miles as Orion predicted I should have run.
So tell me this....if Orion was supposed to have arrived at the best solution to run my route, why was I able to do what I did?
Oh...I know....I was able to adapt and think on the fly. Something orion will never be able to do

So yesterday, I did not even come close to running Orion trace.
I ran it my way.
Same amount of miles as Orion predicted I should have run.
So tell me this....if Orion was supposed to have arrived at the best solution to run my route, why was I able to do what I did?
Oh...I know....I was able to adapt and think on the fly. Something orion will never be able to do
It is possible to beat Orion by over 40 miles. Crazy that it would be possible and show up as a success on a report.

upschuck

It is possible to beat Orion by over 40 miles. Crazy that it would be possible and show up as a success on a report.
I know a guy who beat it by around 100 miles. Had him bouncing around two places that weren't close. He was told to not show up ORION.

JL 0513

It's not even a challenge to beat Orion miles. Amazingly, we're no longer allowed to. Imagine a company that tells you that you can no longer save them money. I wonder if UPS shareholders are aware of this.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Orion feels rushed. I think Atlanta and many other businesses underestimate the sheer overhead costs that can accumulate when attempting to develop something new, quickly. If Orion was developed by a small independent 30-man team embedded across 10 or so regional centers, then I don't think we would have nearly as many issues today.

it would take 30 years to hit 300 million $ with such a small team.

edit: holy run-on sentences!

JL 0513

There's just so many holes in the code. Like easy things that shouldn't be the problem they are. How can Orion be written to not know left vs right, a deeply fundamental element to UPS? The data is already right there in RDO! Businesses are also known data and yet they have it set up to ignore many businesses. Those who have only taken Computer Science 101 would be able to patch those lines of code.

clean hairy

Just hope the folks who developed orion have no involvement in the software to navigate driverless cars.
Going from a suburb of Ok City to downtown, they might take you by way of Omaha Neb.
After all, it IS a better route!