How to Unionize? Is it possible?

InsideScoop

Before I FULLY pose my question/concern... Just how "safe" is this site? And by safe I mean... If I wanted to be completely candid about something (situation wise... Not revealing full specifics), could I trust that I will be getting sincere feedback from my fellow upsers? Because I have a serious concern and need help!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You'll get a sincere answer as one can, asking total strangers about a possible life changing event for you on a Friday night after 5 days of manual labor workweek, easing back into a few adult beverages.

So, what's your trouble???

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
popcornsmiley.gif

InsideScoop

Well... Here's the thing... As we all know, the only people within UPS who have access to the Union are our drivers, sorters, etc. Those of us who work in the Operation Centers (i.e. The UPS HRSC, Managers, etc) are unable to. My issue with this, is that working for the HR service center, there's an ABUNDANT of unfair acts/practices that we have been subjected to which has caused such a hostile work environment.

I mean, so bad it would cause a union stewards head to spin in a 360. Things such as retaliation, intimidation, favoritism, targeting certain individuals because they don't like that the person stands up for themselves and speak their minds; I mean the list goes on.

The unfortunate thing about it, is that we have no choice but to sit down and shut up because we have no voice... No one to fight for us. If someone does stand up and fight on our behalf, they're fired. It's sad.

We got hit with some VERY unfair news today and having worked for a unionized company before in the past, I know the power the Union can have when it comes down to fairness and your voice being heard!

That's why I'm here... I need pointers; I need help!

InsideScoop

It used to be possible to unionize before people were satisfied with crap wages and no pension or benefits.

That's the thing; we feel that we make a decent wage... It's the unfair treatment that we want to be able to speak up on. This place has so many EEOCs filed against them it's craaaazy.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Well... Here's the thing... As we all know, the only people within UPS who have access to the Union are our drivers, sorters, etc. Those of us who work in the Operation Centers (i.e. The UPS HRSC, Managers, etc) are unable to. My issue with this, is that working for the HR service center, there's an ABUNDANT of unfair acts/practices that we have been subjected to which has caused such a hostile work environment.

I mean, so bad it would cause a union stewards head to spin in a 360. Things such as retaliation, intimidation, favoritism, targeting certain individuals because they don't like that the person stands up for themselves and speak their minds; I mean the list goes on.

The unfortunate thing about it, is that we have no choice but to sit down and shut up because we have no voice... No one to fight for us. If someone does stand up and fight on our behalf, they're fired. It's sad.

We got hit with some VERY unfair news today and having worked for a unionized company before in the past, I know the power the Union can have when it comes down to fairness and your voice being heard!

That's why I'm here... I need pointers; I need help!
What you need is to put out some resumes.

When companies get to big they start to forget what got them there, the people. What you're experiencing isn't any different that any other large corporation. I'd suggest finding another job and use UPS as a reference. If you've been here for a long period of time and can see the end, try and tough it out until you can retire.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
That's the thing; we feel that we make a decent wage... It's the unfair treatment that we want to be able to speak up on. This place has so many EEOCs filed against them it's craaaazy.
Think of it as job security if you're the one handling these cases. I relate your position as a humane society worker. Some people have a very hard time doing the killing, others won't lose a wink of sleep. Whichever person you are doesn't matter as the killings are "costs of doing business" and will always be there, no matter how hard you try.

So which person are you?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Think of it as job security if you're the one handling these cases. I relate your position as a humane society worker. Some people have a very hard time doing the killing, others won't lose a wink of sleep. Whichever person you are doesn't matter as the killings are "costs of doing business" and will always be there, no matter how hard you try.

So which person are you?
He is the one with integrity.

InsideScoop

Oh I'm definitely heading out the door soon. I guess I care too much is the problem. I feel that a union is needed because of the practices. Hell, we even have to watch these lame videos every year that try to brainwash us from Unionizing. It states (not verbatim: UPS Supply Chain Solutions has an open door policy and encourages employees to follow the chain of command/hierarchy when addressing a concern. UPS SCS does not feel that it is necessary for a Union Environment as it has policies and procedures in play for employees to resolve their issues.

Blah Blah...

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
He is the one with integrity.
You can have integrity and still work around those that lack it. It's when you're asked to participate in such acts that your true stripes are shown. If your a zebra and refuse to change your stripes in a den of leopards, you'll be eaten.

InsideScoop

So which person are you?
So let me ask you this Jack... Are you a Union Employee?

If so, do you feel that labor protection/support should only be granted to those who are doing manual/physical labor rather than those of us who may do sedentary work, but still bust our behinds mentally?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Oh I'm definitely heading out the door soon. I guess I care too much is the problem. I feel that a union is needed because of the practices. Hell, we even have to watch these lame videos every year that try to brainwash us from Unionizing. It states (not verbatim: UPS Supply Chain Solutions has an open door policy and encourages employees to follow the chain of command/hierarchy when addressing a concern. UPS SCS does not feel that it is necessary for a Union Environment as it has policies and procedures in play for employees to resolve their issues.

Blah Blah...
I think you just need to use UPS as a stepping stone into something more middle sized business oriented that hasn't become so large as to sweep ethics under the rug in favor of profits.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So let me ask you this Jack... Are you a Union Employee?

If so, do you feel that labor protection/support should only be granted to those who are doing manual/physical labor rather than those of us who may do sedentary work, but still bust our behinds mentally?
No, I believe everyone should have a fair shake and a share of the fruits that we (management & hourlies) help bring to the table.

InsideScoop

Knowing this forum, yes, you are right.

To the OP, you should have known that you took a non-union job without any protection when you were hired.

You know, when you make your bed................
Lol oh I see.

True, I knew that I was accepting a non union position. But I had no idea that UPS had any union employees until well after I was hired. I also didn't anticipate the work environment to be so unprofessional, unfair, and hostile. So hostile to the point where some employees have threatened to take physical (postal) action. Which has had everyone in a frenzy.

InsideScoop

So which person are you?
Oh and to answer your question, I am neither killing with regret or killing without it... I am the one being killed; amongst others. (If I followed your analogy correct there). lol

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Lol oh I see.

True, I knew that I was accepting a non union position. But I had no idea that UPS had any union employees until well after I was hired. I also didn't anticipate the work environment to be so unprofessional, unfair, and hostile. So hostile to the point where some employees have threatened to take physical (postal) action. Which has had everyone in a frenzy.
Some people thrive in such environments, wading through all the garbage and punches to the back of the head, only to go somewhere else and to become a better manager from it, never to allow themselves to participate in the treatment of people in such a way if they get to a higher position. Companies starting out want people like that, not people that breed what you see daily.