Howdy! I'm new, glad to be here, and I have 2 Q's please

Robb

Hello all,

I've recently been hired at UPS as a part-time package handler. I just got laid off, as expected, and expect to resume in March or so.

So far so good. I like my coworkers, management seems ok, and obviously I hired on with benefits in mind.

I can't find anywhere, and I've looked quite a bit, the phone number to call Human Resources so I can discuss benefits. As I understand it I was hired onder the 2007 contract (start date 12/11) and so I will still get benefits as soon as I get seniority and meet hourly requirements, which I assume will happen in April.

Also, I am working on an adoption, and I was told that UPS has an adoption benefit but I can't find anything anywhere. Can somebody please point me in the right direction?

Thanx all,

Robb

DS

Fenderbender
Hey Robb we may seem rude here for not giving you a quick answer to your query.In case you hadn't noticed ups is a really big company,and I don't think that one phone number from any of us can help you.Go there and talk to human resourses where you worked,they will help you.

LKLND3380

Hello all,

I've recently been hired at UPS as a part-time package handler. I just got laid off, as expected, and expect to resume in March or so.

So far so good. I like my coworkers, management seems ok, and obviously I hired on with benefits in mind.

I can't find anywhere, and I've looked quite a bit, the phone number to call Human Resources so I can discuss benefits. As I understand it I was hired onder the 2007 contract (start date 12/11) and so I will still get benefits as soon as I get seniority and meet hourly requirements, which I assume will happen in April.

Also, I am working on an adoption, and I was told that UPS has an adoption benefit but I can't find anything anywhere. Can somebody please point me in the right direction?

Thanx all,

Robb

Each area and/or center should have their own HR rep... I say this because when I was hired the HR rep for Lakeland was also hiring people for the Lake Wales bldg...

As far as what contract you are hired under as a "seasonal" has no meaning until you are hired on as permanent and then complete your 30 days/gain senority...

Your benefits under the current contract kick in after 90 "work" days... So if you are called back in March your benefits would start around August...

Go to the building you worked in and talk to your Supe or Center Manager and let them know you would like to meet with the HR rep for your building... Then you will get some answers...

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Adoption Benefit? Haven't heard that one before. It would be unusual for any company to encourage adoption much less offer a benefit for it (I could be wrong!).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just went to UPSers.com and NYTFund.org (Teamsters website) and could find nothing regarding an adoption benefit. The only thing that I could think of is that you may get financial assistance for the attorney that you will need to hire for this process. Good luck!

Robb

Hiya,

Thanx guys, and no I didn't think anyone was rude.

I wasn't hired seasonal. I was hired permanent part-time, and it was explained that I would be laid off for a while then brought back on. It is also my understanding that under the new contract, employees hired after Jan 1 will have to wait one year for bennefits. So I think I just got in before the door shut.

I've dug through UPSers and couldn't really find anything. I tried that before asking here.

Many large companies offer adoption benefits. Some more or less. Starbucks does, for example, I think they give you either 2K or 4K after you complete an adoption. I think UPS is supposed to be 3K as has been stated on some adoption websites, but I can't find it on UPSers.

So now I'm trying to find a number for Human Resources, or I guess I can start back at my center and get the number of the HR guy who hired me.

Anybody got the number for HR in Portland?

You can use FMLA (family leave) for an adoption and use money from your 401k during an adoption. Those are the two off the top of my head,there may be more.

HazMatMan

Just concentrate on getting back to work. You may be laid off longer than you want to be. I don't want to sound negative or sound like a jerk, but let's just concentrate on getting back to working and then worry about getting the benefits..If you are laid off a certain length of time you will have to start over again IF you have not made book already.

Channahon

Robb,

A management friend of mine used the adoption benefit a couple of years ago. Different benefit packages for non union and union employees. Maybe the teamsters can advise you if this benefit is available to you.

As cachsux advised, do take FMLA time to bond with your adopted child. HR can help you with that paperwork.

HazMatMan

Robb,

A management friend of mine used the adoption benefit a couple of years ago. Different benefit packages for non union and union employees. Maybe the teamsters can advise you if this benefit is available to you.

As cachsux advised, do take FMLA time to bond with your adopted child. HR can help you with that paperwork.

Don't you have to be with the company for at least a year and work a certain number of hours to qualify for FMLA???

LKLND3380

I wasn't hired seasonal. I was hired permanent part-time, and it was explained that I would be laid off for a while then brought back on. It is also my understanding that under the new contract, employees hired after Jan 1 will have to wait one year for bennefits. So I think I just got in before the door shut.

Check with your Union for the Supplemental Agreement for YOUR area...

Southern Supplemental Agreement
ARTICLE 46 - ACQUISITION OF SENIORITY

SECTION 2 - SEASONAL EMPLOYEES

Any employee hired after October 1st shall not accure days towards seniority in the months of October, November and December.

It has always been my understanding that anyone hired between October 1st and December 31st is seasonal...

Anyway the NEW Master Agreement says:

Article 34
Health & Welfare and Pension

Section 2—Part-Time Medical Coverage
Part time employees covered by a Teamster Health and Welfare Fund will continue to be covered by those funds.

(a) Notwithstanding Section 1(d) above, effective January 1, 2008 health and welfare coverage for all part-time employees on the payroll at that time and those hired thereafter will be provided pursuant to the terms of an Employer sponsored nationwide health care plan, namely, the UPS National Health Plan for Part-Time Employees. (A copy of the Summary Plan Description will be provided.) Features of the plan will include a prescription card. This paragraph shall supersede any provisions on the same subject in any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum, including those Supplemental provisions which require part-time benefits to be equal to or the same as full-time medical benefits.

(b) Notwithstanding Section 1(d) above or any contrary provision in any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum, (i) individual health coverage will be made available to part-time employees hired after August 1, 2008 after twelve (12) months of active employment and (ii) spousal or dependant coverage will be made available to these part-time employeeseighteen (18) months after their initial date of employment.

LKLND3380

Check with your Union for the Supplemental Agreement for YOUR area...

Southern Supplemental Agreement
ARTICLE 46 - ACQUISITION OF SENIORITY

SECTION 2 - SEASONAL EMPLOYEES

Any employee hired after October 1st shall not accure days towards seniority in the months of October, November and December.

It has always been my understanding that anyone hired between October 1st and December 31st is seasonal...

ATLANTIC SUPPLEMENTAL AGREEMENT
ARTICLE 46 -ACQUISITION OF SENIORITY
Section 1

A new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement but shall be employed only on a thirty (30) working day trial basis, during which period he may be discharged without further recourse, provided, however, that the Employer may not discharge or discipline for the purpose of evading this Agreement or discriminating against Union members. After working thirty (30) days within a ninety (90) consecutive day period, the employee shall be placed on the regular seniority list and his seniority date shall be the first day worked within any ninety (90) day period of his employment. He shall be placed on the seniority list of the classification in which he worked. In case of discipline within the probationary period, the Employer shall notify the Local Union in writing.

Time worked from November 1 through December 31 of each year shall not accrue towards seniority. Any employee who is retained after December 31 or recalled within sixty (60) days after December 31 must work thirty (30) days in a ninety (90) consecutive day period commencing with the first day worked after December 31. However, those employees hired prior to November 1 and retained after December 31 or recalled within sixty (60) days will retain credit for the number of days worked prior to November 1. These days retained will count towards the thirty (30) days worked in a ninety (90) consecutive day period commencing with the first day worked after December 31. November and December shall not be used in computing the ninety (90) consecutive day period. These employees shall acquire seniority as of the date of their original employment. Seasonal employees hired from outside sources prior to November 1 and retained after December 31, will retain credit for the number of days worked prior to November 1. These days retained will count towards the thirty (30) days worked in a ninety (90) consecutive day period commencing with the first day worked after December 31, and their seniority dates shall be the first day worked after December 31. Seasonal employees, when hired, shall be notified they are seasonal. Upon request, the Employer will provide a list of peak season employees to the Local Union.

brownman15

Hiya,

Thanx guys, and no I didn't think anyone was rude.

I've dug through UPSers and couldn't really find anything. I tried that before asking here.

Many large companies offer adoption benefits. Some more or less. Starbucks does, for example, I think they give you either 2K or 4K after you complete an adoption. I think UPS is supposed to be 3K as has been stated on some adoption websites, but I can't find it on UPSers.

So now I'm trying to find a number for Human Resources, or I guess I can start back at my center and get the number of the HR guy who hired me.

Anybody got the number for HR in Portland?
Adoption Assistance

this is the benefit for the chicago area local 705

To help UPS employees realize the dream of having
a family, UPS offers eligible employees financial assis-
tance through its Adoption Assistance Program.
You are eligible for this benefit as part of the compre-
hensive basic coverages under the UPS Health and
Welfare Package.
Benefit Amount
UPS will reimburse 100 percent of reasonable and
customary costs, as determined by the Plan Adminis-
trator, up to $3,500 per child, associated with the
adoption of a child less than age 18. If both parents
are UPS employees, expenses are reimbursed only
one time per child, up to $3,500.
Children with Special Needs
If you adopt a child with a special need, the program
will reimburse an additional $1,500 in eligible expenses.
A child with special needs often has a physical or
emotional disability. As a result, the child is often
difficult to place and may be more costly to raise.
For the Adoption Assistance Program, documentation
is required from the state in which the child is adopted
certifying that the child qualifies for a special needs
adoption in that state. Check with the applicable state
social services division for information on that state’s
definition of special needs. International adoptions
cannot be considered for the special needs benefit.
Eligible Expenses
The Adoption Assistance Program covers
the following adoption-related expenses:

Robb

Wow, that's all good info. Yes I agree just getting back to work asap is #1. I've told them I am available to pick up any odd shifts, and then I will contact them as soon as I'm back in country and I intend to stay in touch. There are 7 driver openings coming up next year they said, and one preloader is trying to transfer, so I expect vacancies in the preload department.

I believe this is a national benefits HR phone number 1-800-UPS-1508.

You will need your Soc Sec # and employee number (on your pay check stub).

Hope this helps.

Robb

Well, I called that number on Friday after somebody pm'ed it to me. My call got dropped, then I called again, and they transferred me to somebody who didn't know what adoption benefits were. It seemed like he was reading from a script and telling me I had to call Blue Cross Blue Shield. So I don't think that went anywhere.

I'll call my local HR guy Friday after I get my next paycheck and ask him.