Hubs that are Outdated, Overcapacity and Gravel Yards

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Exactly what I thought it’s all over not just in my area, and what is this obsession with freaking gravel? Gravel in every auxiliary lot for overflow trailers. Fedex just down the street has asphalt, never thought I’d be envious of such a mundane detail but it’s ridiculous
We could bring in gravel weekly if we wanted. They spread gravel here with a feeder truck pulling a railroad tie. It’s comical.

oldngray

nowhere special
That always seemed to be the union term for buildings here.
Freight drivers call it a barn. Nobody at my building called it anything other than a building. Inside the building there was a hub and package centers so people who worked in the hub might call it the hub and package drivers might say they are returning to the building. Package drivers only referred to it as a center when discussing activities involving the center itself. There were several centers in the building (the number changed over the years)..

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Freight drivers call it a barn. Nobody at my building called it anything other than a building. Inside the building there was a hub and package centers so people who worked in the hub might call it the hub and package drivers might say they are returning to the building. Package drivers only referred to it as a center when discussing activities involving the center itself. There were several centers in the building (the number changed over the years)..
My bldg is a legit hub. But when I started 30 years ago all the older guys called it the barn. Being an impressionable rookie I naturally started calling it that. Today most call it the bldg. never hub. Of course center is used to delineate which part of the bldg we work at. It’s all in when you start I guess.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I thought maybe this was a thread started by members wives.
355E3B0C-04B1-435A-9516-B44D3C423A4F.jpeg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If a building just runs a preload and a local sort, it's a delivery center. If it also runs a day sort, twilight sort and a night sort it's a hub. There's a lot more than 30 of those, 200+ sounds about right.

Tanktoptony

So these hubs Amazon builds in 18 months aren’t bought and paid for with money? How is Ups expecting to keep up with a competitor who is expanding at this rate and becoming more efficient with these newer facilities sans gravel?

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
So these hubs Amazon builds in 18 months aren’t bought and paid for with money? How is Ups expecting to keep up with a competitor who is expanding at this rate and becoming more efficient with these newer facilities sans gravel?
The stockholders must be paid. End of discussion.