Huge MIP changes announced soon

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not too many delivery jobs where the drivers make 6 figures. Let the company handle the business model and the union handle the compensation.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Not too many delivery jobs where the drivers make 6 figures. Let the company handle the business model and the union handle the compensation.
How about the way unions are supposed to work:
Company handles business model and compensation, Union protects workers from harassment, unsafe conditions, and scabs

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
"Nothing else to gain"
Man you don't understand people at all do you, you think greed stops at a number?

I understand your logic..but there has to be point were the money or compensation is not a individual’s driving goal. Trump would be a prime example, the guy was a multi millionaire before he took office and is still taking unnecessary grief when he left. Why would anybody sign up for that kind of abuse? There are others factors involved more than greed..

dudebro

Clean house. Give us the boxes and addresses and a number to call when someone gets hurt or wrecks. Stop paying people to micro manage people who micromanage us all day from behind a computer screen.
On road, it’s the real world, the numbers are meaningless, and the sups berating drivers about production only subtract from our effectiveness and willingness to “help the team” out.
You know those extra work volunteer sheets? Those things used to get filled up every time.
Now we can’t even get one signature!!
UPS, WE are your bread and butter; the people who actually do the work. The amount of space, time and money the company spends on its management team is astounding.
We pretty much tried this in the 90s. Failed miserably.

meritocracy

How about the way unions are supposed to work:
Company handles business model and compensation, Union protects workers from harassment, unsafe conditions, and scabs
Compensation should always be a major component of the relationship between an employer and a union.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What's really ironic about your suggestion is that it was tried years ago by the then CEO. It was called Work Teams, the idea was to slowly reduce center management and let teams of drivers meet weekly to make routing and other work assignment decisions.
The IBT went completely apoplectic.
We went apoplectic because the company was trying to implement a profound change in working conditions while refusing to negotiate with the union as required by the same labor agreement that you management people asked us to vote “yes” on.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The sad reality is that management uses the hard-nosed you'll do as I say stance not because they are evil or stupid, but because it works. For far too many employees, it is the only thing that works.

Sadly many in management think that means taking any thing less than a hardline with any employee is a sign of weakness that will wind up biting them in the end. So the miss or ignore the few gems in their operation who they should listen to...
If I wanted to be a dick I would just follow ORION 100%, go on the 9.5 list, shut my brain off and make you clean up the mess every day.
I get the job done is spite of management’s best efforts, not because of them.

brownIEman

We went apoplectic because the company was trying to implement a profound change in working conditions while refusing to negotiate with the union as required by the same labor agreement that you management people asked us to vote “yes” on.
The contract negotiation was a couple years after the work teams. The work teams was not about any change in the agreement, but would have lead to greater hourly input into daily work assignments and how the agreement was enforced.
Basically it was giving hourlies a much bigger voice in how the business was to be run. The IBT claimed it was trying to get hourlies to do supervisors work. It would have reduced the confrontational nature of the management/ hourly working dynamic and the IBT was having none of that.

oldngray

nowhere special
Spoken like a true kool aid drinker
nutty.gif

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
The contract negotiation was a couple years after the work teams. The work teams was not about any change in the agreement, but would have lead to greater hourly input into daily work assignments and how the agreement was enforced.
Basically it was giving hourlies a much bigger voice in how the business was to be run. The IBT claimed it was trying to get hourlies to do supervisors work. It would have reduced the confrontational nature of the management/ hourly working dynamic and the IBT was having none of that.

You seriously believe that...you had a more inside track on how the Company was working back in the mid nineties...

They would never listen to any advice that an hourly might provide..nothing has changed today.

brownIEman

Spoken like a true kool aid drinker
To be fair, I was indicating what the intent was. The consulting firm that put that all together told UPS they were way too top heavy and that the work teams made up of hourlies could come up with solutions for how to decide things like routing decisions, trace, safety concerns etc. And the company could get rid of a ton of supervisors and managers.
We'll never know if it ever would have worked but we know many front line management did not like it, and neither did the IBT leadership.

brownIEman

You seriously believe that...you had a more inside track on how the Company was working back in the mid nineties...

They would never listen to any advice that an hourly might provide..nothing has changed today.

The "they" that would never listen to hourlies were to be downsized under the plan, so there would be no choice but to listen to hourlies.
And in many hubs, they did listen. They relaxed the production push, hired more hourlies for the same work, production slowed. Quality was supposed to rise to compensate for the increase cost. It did not.
Personally I don't think it would have worked anyway, but many front line management and the IBT trying to sabotage it certainly did not help.