Hurricane Irma

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Janice Dean (the weather machine) said (unofficially) that she thought the waters were warm enough prior to Irma's hit that it could get to Cat. 5. It would depend where it makes landfall.
Makes no difference if/when it makes landfall, whether it gets to category 5 intensity. A category 5 landfall is highly unlikely/nearly impossible unless it strikes Florida or Bahamas, and even then it's unlikely. Janice Dean was talking about peak intensity over open waters.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Makes no difference if/when it makes landfall, whether it gets to category 5 intensity. A category 5 landfall is highly unlikely/nearly impossible unless it strikes Florida or Bahamas, and even then it's unlikely. Janice Dean was talking about peak intensity over open waters.
that's why I specified "prior to the hit".

UnconTROLLed

perfection
As it stands, there is pretty amazing agreement that a SC/NC hit is likely. Well into the interior southeast, as well. Probably a 920-930mb category 4 hurricane similar to 1989's Hugo.

A little early to sound the alarms, but if I lived there, I'd definitely be taking this seriously and beginning, at least, basic preparations.

Still a few more days to see if the models are crapping the bed on the key features guiding Irma, but I would be surprised.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Still a few more days to see if the models are crapping the bed on the key features guiding Irma, but I would be surprised.
luckypoop.jpg

UnconTROLLed

perfection
well the 12z operational European model shows the storm exiting stage right off of the OBX area (after brutalizing the Bahamas and etc)

It's own ensemble members are all over the place, as expected, but 60% -70% have a landfall.

It's going to come down whether or not a low pressure system develops over the Canadian Maritimes, in roughly 6-8 days. Most landfalling hurricanes have a high pressure over the N Atlantic and also extending into Maritime Canada.

We'll see if this idea holds.

Attachments

• irma3.png
    irma3.png
    290.5 KB · Views: 127

Johney

It is
interesting to note that a ship (BATFR17) passed within 50 n mi to
the west of the center of Irma and has only reported winds of
about 40 kt, indicating that the core of Irma is compact.
Why in the hell would any ship pass that close to a hurricane? Surely they all remember the El Faro?