Hypnosis and mind control in our workplace?

Packmule

Sometimes it has to do with the size of the company. UPS has always had to repeat things over and over again because there is always somebody that just doesn't get it.
As for safety five and ten, 90 percent of Thais about trying to meet DOT quotas.
May have the effects you are talking about, but I really don't see a conspiracy.

Irishman Collins

Sometimes it has to do with the size of the company. UPS has always had to repeat things over and over again because there is always somebody that just doesn't get it.
As for safety five and ten, 90 percent of Thais about trying to meet DOT quotas.
May have the effects you are talking about, but I really don't see a conspiracy.
Pack, I understand that some drivers may be a little mentally slower than others but there is a difference in repeating things, lets say for a week, in comparison to everyday. As far as the test go, they have nothing to do with the D.O.T. and everything to do with protecting themselves from liability in the event a driver has an accident. In addition, the test also keep their insurance premiums down.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Judging by the folks needing daily harassment (what they call discipline), I would say they are failing miserably at mind control/hypnosis.

upschuck

Pack, I understand that some drivers may be a little mentally slower than others but there is a difference in repeating things, lets say for a week, in comparison to everyday. As far as the test go, they have nothing to do with the D.O.T. and everything to do with protecting themselves from liability in the event a driver has an accident. In addition, the test also keep their insurance premiums down.
You get the same talk everyday? that is a bit excessive, and no wonder why people skip the pcms.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
UPS and other corporations have always been using mind-control, either to sway consumers or workers. UPS and Jim Casey were a prime example from what I have read.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What does T.D.U. have to do with whether U.P.S. uses mind control on their employees or not?
I understand that some drivers may be a little mentally slower than others

Some members, don't have the mental acuity or intestinal fortitude....

To deal with the company, or the Union.

TDU knows this, and caters to (indoctrinating) them. Providing, a false sense of security.

I mean really.... Ken P was a Teamster for a (1) year ?

He was pumping gas before that. In 1974.

-Bug-

Irishman Collins

TDU knows this, and caters to (indoctrinating) them. Providing, a false sense of security.

I mean really.... Ken P was a Teamster for a (1) year ?

He was pumping gas before that. In 1974.

-Bug-
Unlike Mr. Hoffa who I understand didn't work one day in any Teamster trade before he was appointed to a local position?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

-Bug-

The company and the IBT knows this and hopes to keep it this way, rather than educating and awakening them...

This was painfully obvious in the last contract negotiations at UPS.

If the IBT were earnest in the distribution and dissemination of relevant facts and figures, splinter groups like TDU would cease to exist.
I have never been a member of TDU, APWA or the like, but I certainly see why they exist and persist.

What I'm seeing, when I take a step back and separate my personal feelings and needs from the Teamster landscape, is an elaborate, unsustainable ponzi scheme.
Right now the "house of cards" stands directly on the backs of the last significant cash cow in the Teamster Union and when they get done paying it forward, there will be no one left to take the lead.
Unfortunately, when us UPSer's finally get our heads out of the trought and realize what has happened, it will likely be too late for us and the Teamsters.
It will likely be a barren, sterile landscape and the "Bernie Madoff's" will have made off with the spoils.

As always when discussing this matter, I hope I am wrong.

hardball88

get'r done
Again you miss the point. It's not the subject matter that is the issue. It is that they are attempting to control our subconscious minds and I for one don't think that is a tactic that any employer should be using on it's employees regardless of the issue. Reward and punishment is a way to cause distress and anxiety therefore giving the company control over your sub conscience mind. Example, the safety test they make us take with the threat of discipline and the reward of giving gifts for safe driving. The subconscious stress and anxiety opens the door for suggestive thoughts
You get disciplined for failing the safety questions?

I thought that was removed from the proposed Art 17 language?

Inthegame

Unlike Mr. Hoffa who I understand didn't work one day in any Teamster trade before he was appointed to a local position?
Not sure about that. But like you, I really don't have credible access to the facts. His bio states he worked in Detroit and Alaska driving and unloading, but he also went to college followed by law school, so I'm guessing daddy got him a summer gig. Maybe casual w/o dues obligation? Not sure. Check with L299...

Inthegame

If the IBT were earnest in the distribution and dissemination of relevant facts and figures, splinter groups like TDU would cease to exist.
I have never been a member of TDU, APWA or the like, but I certainly see why they exist and persist.
Earnest in the distribution and dissemination? And where do you draw that line? While I agree the IBT could have provided a better stream of info, I doubt much would have changed.
Our local held dozens of meetings, AM, PM, mid week and weekends for both proposals and explanation of what was in the contract (two guys on National Committee). And after that worthwhile effort, our pct of voters was only slightly ahead of the national average, as is usually the case here.
Anti-incumbent, anti-establishment groups will always exist, because they live in a fantasy land where every problem is easily solved and they have no accountability to anyone. And they exist because enough members don't understand it's tougher to fix the window than it is to throw the stone.
TDU has shown resilience, mostly because they've moved into an educational sphere where there can practice what this thread is concerned with.
APWA didn't persist. They were clear cut whack jobs. Anybody fooled by those fruitcakes needs serious help.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
You've never heard stories about mechanics telling housewives they need this and that when they don't?

Mrs. Stephens I put a new clutch belt in for you. Topped off your signal fluids, and replaced the O-pipe.
No. I never considered that. I have never done any direct work for customers and that sort of selling is just coming out of sheer ignorance on the part of the customer rather than any sort of manipulation of perceptions.
That sort of thing is fraud, not marketing.

Irishman Collins

Really....

How did he get elected General President, without being "a member in good standing" ?

-Bug-
He was appointed as a trustee, therefore was a member in good standing but still never worked a day in any trade unless of course you consider being a corporate attorney, working in the trade, lol!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
He was appointed as a trustee, therefore was a member in good standing but still never worked a day in any trade unless of course you consider being a corporate attorney, working in the trade, lol!

And, you're jealous.

Got it.

Could you definitively define "trade jobs" that you.... and TDU approve of ??

You can include Ken P and Sandy Pope.... in your summation. :biggrin:

Where is Tom ?

You know.... "Lead - the - Dumb" ?

-Bug-

Irishman Collins

Big Union, I'll tell you what instead of bashing the T.D.U. why don't you give all of us ten reasons that we should be proud of our current administration? I can't wait for your reasons. Hell, if there good enough you may even change my position on our leadership.