Hypothetical Stike (On Topic I guess)

ThatOnePreloader

Unprofessional Professional
So obviously most of the BC community wants a strike. However, this forum really doesn’t make up a huge precentage of Union employees. With a ton of new hires pouring in at almost every location, I feel that not many of the PTers are well informed on issues, nor will they even vote. That being said, what do y’all think the odds are of a strike actually happening?

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
I was watching a show about the auto strike in 1936-37 at a Fisher Body plant they instead picketing around the building, sat around their work stations and wouldn't leave. So that even if they brought in scabs they wouldn't be able to work. If in the unlikely event a strike does happen I think it would be a fair way to go about it.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I was watching a show about the auto strike in 1936-37 at a Fisher Body plant they instead picketing around the building, sat around their work stations and wouldn't leave. So that even if they brought in scabs they wouldn't be able to work. If in the unlikely event a strike does happen I think it would be a fair way to go about it.
Different labor laws back then. That wouldn’t work today.

cachmeifucan

0% because if we went on strike it would only benefit the workers. And not the company or the union. So we get screwed all the while union gets the dues and contributions to health insurance that our unions now controls. Now the reason you shouldn't want union controlled health insurance is they need contributions to keep coming. So we will never go on strike only chance we have is to vote no and hope contract gets better. Maybe if we vote no a perceived strike might scare the public and ups.

john chesney

So obviously most of the BC community wants a strike. However, this forum really doesn’t make up a huge precentage of Union employees. With a ton of new hires pouring in at almost every location, I feel that not many of the PTers are well informed on issues, nor will they even vote. That being said, what do y’all think the odds are of a strike actually happening?
You’re getting this contract in some form or fashion. Teamster leadership seems more scared of a strike then ups

Hethatbeking

0% because if we went on strike it would only benefit the workers. And not the company or the union. So we get screwed all the while union gets the dues and contributions to health insurance that our unions now controls. Now the reason you shouldn't want union controlled health insurance is they need contributions to keep coming. So we will never go on strike only chance we have is to vote no and hope contract gets better. Maybe if we vote no a perceived strike might scare the public and ups.
Were you with the company back in '97?

CanOSup

One of them

What, would you sit in a package car that UPS owns and expect not to be removed due to trespassing? Cops may be sympathetic to unions during a strike but in the end they will uphold the law.

Hethatbeking

What, would you sit in a package car that UPS owns and expect not to be removed due to trespassing? Cops may be sympathetic to unions during a strike but in the end they will uphold the law.
True. As they should. But maybe it's time for us to make some uncomfortable choices.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
while it sure does sound like the overall attitude here and on the job is mostly negative, we just don't have the leadership to put up much of a fight. the teamsters think this is a good deal for us. its like your lawyer (the union) and the judge (UPS) both telling you to take a plea deal in your best interest.

M

MenInBrown

while it sure does sound like the overall attitude here and on the job is mostly negative, we just don't have the leadership to put up much of a fight. the teamsters think this is a good deal for us. its like your lawyer (the union) and the judge (UPS) both telling you to take a plea deal in your best interest.

Time for new leadership.

Kayla C

There is an option outside of succumbing to the Teamsters' criminal betrayal of UPS workers. The unions don't serve workers anymore and cannot be pressured to take up a genuine fight since as you pointed out, they depend on the success of profit-driven corporations. The rank and file must take up the struggle completely out of the hands of the union and build new forms of organization that are capable of uniting all part-time and full-time workers at UPS and also Amazon, FedEx and USPS. Please join thousands of other workers who have contributed to the perspectives of the WSWS and take up this fight to build rank and file committees! UPS workers oppose sellout contract, warn of union fraud to pass agreement