I am brand new here and had an interview today

I have a few questions. I went for an interview for a "part time" package delivery driver. All seemed great and the pay is very good starting at $21. The only MAJOR concern is the HR girl said after December I would get laid off and "possibly" rehired to be a package handler starting at $9.50 per hour! I was kind of taken back when she told me this... is this info 100% accurate and how can they first, get away with that and second, justify this practice? Can anyone explain this to me?

PT Car Washer

More likely $10.00 an hour if the new contract is ever ratified. Sounds more like seasonal package car driver. And they wonder why nobody will take the job.

Yes she said seasonal I believe. She said I would have to drive a truck that's manual and be sent for training... I can't imagine doing all this then they lay off in Dec?

"They" can get away with it and justify it for the same reason Macy's can get away with and justify hiring someone to play Santa and then lay him off on Dec 26th.

PT Car Washer

It would not be a lay off. More like thanks a lot and have a nice life. And your chances of getting hired back as PT is no better than the 100 other people they hire as seasonal.

I talked to a driver that was on my street a little while ago, he said GO for it! He said he did the same thing and then it took 2 years and now he is a driver.
Thoughts?

PT Car Washer

Well, he didn't say the year he was hired but he said he started at the bottom and he is now a driver and it took two years....
I have seen that happen also. A center manager or on road sup will guide an individuals career for one reason or another. Kind of sucks for the guys who have been waiting for years.

So far I have been sensing a very discouraging and disgruntled tone with most here... It is kind of worrying me a bit. I always had it in my head that a job with UPS was very desired.

I am a bit puzzled (if there are SO many waiting for years to become drivers) why they don't push those employees into the temp driver spot for a few months and give them the training as a driver etc? They are going to spend all this time hiring and training someone new, just to lay them off or fire when the season is over.. why not switch the guys who are waiting and if they need to go back to package handler or whatever they can. Is this some kind of way of 'beating the system?'

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Could take 1 year or 10 years to go full time. Depending on your enter. Its not like it used to be. It goes through cycles on this job. At a certain times its quick to go driving and then they go through years where they don't put hardly put anyone on. Youll see one of the highest rates here in the next 5 to 10 years as far as fulltime driver hires because of driver retirements. I ask all these young guys to look around and what do they see. Usually they answer not sure what im supposed to be looking for. I tell them you see all these oldheads walking around, they will all be gne here in the next 5 to 7 years. Theres going to be such an influx of new hires its going to be unbelievable. Nowadays in my opinion you do 1 of 2 things. You start driving as soon as possible and get 20 years in and go work somewhere else til you can get your pension or start driving at 30 or 35 that way you can make it to your 55. Reality is don't expect to be able to do this job nowadays for more than 20 years cause it aint going to happen as hard as it is. If you do get more than 20 in your going to come out of here like LEE MAJORS THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN

Could take 1 year or 10 years to go full time. Depending on your enter. Its not like it used to be. It goes through cycles on this job. At a certain times its quick to go driving and then they go through years where they don't put hardly put anyone on. Youll see one of the highest rates here in the next 5 to 10 years as far as fulltime driver hires because of driver retirements. I ask all these young guys to look around and what do they see. Usually they answer not sure what im supposed to be looking for. I tell them you see all these oldheads walking around, they will all be gne here in the next 5 to 7 years. Theres going to be such an influx of new hires its going to be unbelievable. Nowadays in my opinion you do 1 of 2 things. You start driving as soon as possible and get 20 years in and go work somewhere else til you can get your pension or start driving at 30 or 35 that way you can make it to your 55. Reality is don't expect to be able to do this job nowadays for more than 20 years cause it aint going to happen as hard as it is. If you do get more than 20 in your going to come out of here like LEE MAJORS THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN

You mean from destroying your body? Is it that bad on the body over the years? How does it compare to construction work? !

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Yup that bad on your whole body and ill break it down head to toe. First your up and down them steps 200 to 400 times a day(100 to 200 stops x 2). That's wear and tear on your ankles knees hips and back like a domino effect. 2nd your lifting heavy stuff all day, that's wear and tear on your back and hips bending over all day. 3rd your using repetitive motion while your driving whether its a manual transmission or automatic. Your using your hands,wrists,ankles,shoulders and knees to turn steering wheel or shift gears. And then to top it off your sitting in that drivers chairs for prolonged periods of time, which is horrible for posture effecting your back, hips and neck. This is how this job systematically breaks your body down. Theres nobody on here that can dispute that. You can follow all the methods to the tee its still all about repetition on this job. Following the methods can yes keep you safe from major injury or accident I will agree with that. But at end of the day the repetition is what breaks you down physically. And if you played sporys while you were younger that will break you down physically even faster with this job. And yeah construction is hard physical labor also. Im not going to dogg a construction worker they work hard too.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Invest in some Aflac also. You may need it to pay your mortgage or your bills. Don't be like some of these idiots on here who swear they got it figured it out if they get hurt, cause they really don't. ITS BETTER TO GO INTO A GUN FIGHT WITH A GUN THAN WITHOUT ONE. You feel what im saying. That's what insurance is for its the what if something happens policy so you cover your ass in case of an accidental injury or a bad illness happens.