I am paid fairly for the work I do...

5yearsleft

After 10 years at Fedex, I still have not cracked $40K. I could if I chose to put in extra hours, but.....nope...just not feeling it.

Code43

As sad as this sounds.. I would literally feel like I won the lottery if I made 40,000 dollars a year at Express. I could have my cable turned back on. Haha.

overflowed

I know a lot of not topped out drivers making 70k a year. Just working as much ot as possible. Every saturday. No thanks. Reloads , any extra work possible.

It will be fine

But they get benefits which makes the pay SO much better. You know, with their low copay and incredible pension. ;)
Ah yes, the health benefits that would cost upwards of $300 a month on the open market, and likely subsidized even more on the exchanges. And if we know anything about this corporation it's that every frontline employee should trust them to fulfill their pension obligations 20-30 years from now. They would never go back on a promise, especially one made to former employees.

Abbadabba

Ah yes, the health benefits that would cost upwards of $300 a month on the open market, and likely subsidized even more on the exchanges. And if we know anything about this corporation it's that every frontline employee should trust them to fulfill their pension obligations 20-30 years from now. They would never go back on a promise, especially one made to former employees.

That purple promise will never be reneged!

DontThrowPackages

I am thinking of starting a gofundme page.
You really should. The Brown guys near me are in the 6 figures and they chose not to Opt into the 9.5 rule. Now they can't file grievance for working more than 9.5 but why would they? One told me, a long time ago, about his house which was almost paid off and a condo he bought to rent out. From time to time I'd wonder what it must feel like to make that kind of dough.

vantexan

Before you get too clever, FedEx doesn't make pension payments, it buys an annuity for each retiree and the insurance company makes the payments. FedEx is legally obligated to maintain enough funds to cover both the former traditional pension and the current portable pension. They don't get to choose to not make payments, and can only get out of their obligation by declaring bankruptcy, something they can't do as long as they're profitable.

It will be fine

Before you get too clever, FedEx doesn't make pension payments, it buys an annuity for each retiree and the insurance company makes the payments. FedEx is legally obligated to maintain enough funds to cover both the former traditional pension and the current portable pension. They don't get to choose to not make payments, and can only get out of their obligation by declaring bankruptcy, something they can't do as long as they're profitable.
Hope for your sake Fred doesn't buy some new laws in the future to change that. Real question: What happens if the insurance company has troubles and goes under, like during the recent recession?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
What happens if the world ends tomorrow? Life is full of uncertainties...What are we going to do - sit around and worry ourselves to death over the "what happens ifs"? Come on now - sounds more like something you're hoping to see happen because you're one of those who gets warm fuzzies when crap happens to others....right?

It will be fine

What happens if the world ends tomorrow? Life is full of uncertainties...What are we going to do - sit around and worry ourselves to death over the "what happens ifs"? Come on now - sounds more like something you're hoping to see happen because you're one of those who gets warm fuzzies when crap happens to others....right?
Nope. Genuinely curious. I've never worked for a company that offers a pension. Does FedEx have to pick up any of the tab or does everyone just get pennies on the dollar they are owed? It sounds like something Van would have researched especially after AIG and Leiman Brothers went down.
Pensions do seem like a bad idea to me though on principle. Id rather get my money now and let me handle it then trust my employer to make good after I leave and handle it responsibly while I'm there.