I don't understand what they're doing

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
loserupser, red and rebel that's enough, quit the bashing!!

Tie quit stooping so low!

This thread and the over allowed thread are all jacked up because all of you are acting like little children.

This is suppose to be a civilized place for good ideas, conversation and debate that's not offensive.

Now everyone take a time out!!

All of you have been keeping us too busy today. I deleted a thread, Cheryl deleted one, and a half dozen warnings have gone out. There is no favoritism in this, sometimes as Moderators we miss certain things. All of you should know better with the personal attacks and language.

tieguy

Banned
Relax tie,you are not trucker.Cheryl has talked to a few people about respecting others and you've been around long enough to know that
its normal to disagree.The name calling is not allowed here,but we cant always be quick enough to catch every one before it gets out of hand.
Maybe Cheryl should make you a mod ,well maybe not...quote]

lol. that would shut me up. Can't be as outspoken with that responsibility on my shoulders.

LKLND3380

Today I was helping out because we had someone call in (day after the 4th, to be expected) and my supe wasn't able to cover it by herself because she wasn't feeling well. So I doing my 4 cars and helping her do her pull too (i know supes aren't supposed to be working I don't need a lecture). I wrapped my 4 and her pull and I thought they'd be appreciative, I know she was, but just her because as I'm walking down the line my manager goes "what time did you start?!?!" I yelled back 3:45 and it was 8:48, you'd think I'd killed someone. Nevermind the fact that I busted my ass all morning to load 7 cars just the fact that I'm 3 minutes over allowed....what a crock of sh_t. I've been 5 min or less over allowed all week loading 4 cars (covering for someone on vaca, NOT my trucks) that don't get hit til after break and today an additional 3 and the best you can say is you're over allowed!!! Yes over allowed has now spread to preloaders in a big way....I love it. :lol:

Then he says its not my fault he was just stating....I was like you wrap 2 pulls more or less by yourself in under 5 tomorrow ok? Now he's going to lay into her for me being over 5hrs by 3 min....I just don't know what the hell management's plan is anymore. Just never satisfied...period. Guys (some drivers from my center read this) if you're wondering why you keep getting a messed up load, look to management (or management's management actually).

On the plus side I'm getting something (and its not a t-shirt or a package car replica) for my perfect attendance for June... should be interesting.

Perfect attendance for June? what about the other 11 months?

I never got anything for perfect attendance for a month or six months...

LKLND3380

I have a question though though for you (since you're a supe) or chan (since she was management). Doesn't it go in seniority order? If I'm being sent home before someone else for the sole reason that I will be over 5 hrs, isn't that against the contract? My steward told me to just finish up your work, and when you're done, you're done. We don't have a no OT clause in the contract no matter what management says. I know I have more seniority than most people there (save for like 6 people and they leave early anyway). I'm not trying to start a mess I'm just curious if its legal for them to send me home before other lower seniority people for the sole reason I'm about to go "over 5."

Seniority means nothing... They can not take YOUR work and give to someone else... That is the bottom line...

LKLND3380

I'm applying . Can't wait. I'm gonna buy ya a real nice nose ring I can hook my chain up to.

Lets see how this plays out.

Me- Hi joe comon in and have a seat. This is red your steward he'll be representing you .

Joe- whats wrong.

me- well Joe you were absent no call no show monday.

joe- yea I um tied one on and kinda overslept.

me- understood. Unfortunately your absence forced my supervisor into having to work to cover you. And then Red here filed a grievance which means instead of me paying you 5 hours at 10 bucks an hour its now going to cost me 5 bucks at reds wage rate. This is very expensive absence.

Joe- um yea sorry about that.

me- so joe I really don't see any way around this. I'm going to have to take your job. Now I've already talked this over with red your shop steward and he's fine with it as long as I don't have to work any sups. In fact he through his grievance is demanding I address your attendance problem.

Joe- he is. Hey red just what kind of freaking shop steward are you anyway?

Red- must uphold the honor and integrity of the contract. Good brothers may have to fall but I can not look the other way when that sup loads your split because you were too freaking stupid to call. After all I am a union steward first. Glory be to the union ( as he snaps his heels together)

yep would be good to see you try to goose step around that one.

Were "other hourlies" called in? YES or NO
If they went through the list and could not get anyone in - a supe may work after all other efforts are exhausted.... A supe may work until the hourly that was called in shows up....

HazMatMan

The attendance is so bad in my building they have perfect attendance Mondays for the hub side. All those who come to work on Monday on time will be put into a raffle.

tieguy

Banned
Seniority means nothing... They can not take YOUR work and give to someone else... That is the bottom line...

I agree for the most part but the issue gets a little stickier if you're talking about someone being available who has not reached their guarantee and someone else about to go into overtime.

LKLND3380

I agree for the most part but the issue gets a little stickier if you're talking about someone being available who has not reached their guarantee and someone else about to go into overtime.

Here is the way it is supposed to work...

Lets say two hourlies are left - a new hire at $9.50 and someone who has reached seniority at $13.00...

It is four hours and fifty-five minutes into the shift... A supe CAN NOT send the $13.00 home and have the $9.50 person do the others work....

Now turn it around...

It is four hours and fifty-five minutes into the shift... A supe CAN NOT send the $9.50 home and have the $13.00 person do the others work....

They CAN NOT take YOUR WORK and give to someone else reguardless of seniority....

NOW if there is an option for people to go home early... It is generally asked by seniority....

IF there is an option for extra work and possible over time... It is generally asked by seniority...

But it is my understanding that seniority means NOTHING for part timers unless bidding for a job...

W

westsideworma

Here is the way it is supposed to work...

Lets say two hourlies are left - a new hire at $9.50 and someone who has reached seniority at $13.00...

It is four hours and fifty-five minutes into the shift... A supe CAN NOT send the $13.00 home and have the $9.50 person do the others work....

Now turn it around...

It is four hours and fifty-five minutes into the shift... A supe CAN NOT send the $9.50 home and have the $13.00 person do the others work....

They CAN NOT take YOUR WORK and give to someone else regardless of seniority....

NOW if there is an option for people to go home early... It is generally asked by seniority....

IF there is an option for extra work and possible over time... It is generally asked by seniority...

But it is my understanding that seniority means NOTHING for part timers unless bidding for a job...

We're running into this in our center now as well. They try to send the higher seniority people home (actually they say we have to be under 5) before we hit OT by replacing us with new people who start later. Our steward wasted no time in making sure we understood that under the contract they CAN'T do this. You have more seniority than them, if you want to go you can, if you want to stay you can, you can't be replaced by someone with less seniority no matter what the reason.

They used to send new hires home all the time at the end of the day and have us cover their areas when the Louisville gets there. Lakeland please give me the scoop on the proper procedure if this is wrong (being serious, I'd like to know) and where in the contract this is (so I know).

tieguy

Banned
We're running into this in our center now as well. They try to send the higher seniority people home (actually they say we have to be under 5) before we hit OT by replacing us with new people who start later. Our steward wasted no time in making sure we understood that under the contract they CAN'T do this.

If the junior person started later and is on straight time then they can do it. If the junior person ends up getting overtime then you have a grievance for being denied the earning opp.

W

westsideworma

We're running into this in our center now as well. They try to send the higher seniority people home (actually they say we have to be under 5) before we hit OT by replacing us with new people who start later. Our steward wasted no time in making sure we understood that under the contract they CAN'T do this.

If the junior person started later and is on straight time then they can do it. If the junior person ends up getting overtime then you have a grievance for being denied the earning opp.

How is this possible contractually? (curious not trying to start an argument) I mean I don't really care right now (its hot humid and I'd like to go home) but normally I'll stay til its done. If the new guys have their guaranteed hours and I'm about to hit OT how can they send a higher seniority person home and keep an employee with lesser seniority on the clock? I mean sometimes the whole sort is about to go over 5 (due to the ways the loads arrive for us in the morning) then what do they do? Its always been by seniority up until now, there some new loophole in the contract thats been discovered? Or is there a real reason they can do this?

My pull is completed in just under 5 hrs (would be quicker but the loads are always late and I get a lot of stuff in those one) so like I said I'm not really being a pain about it right now. Thats a problem with them calculating our load rate. I know I load above 210 (their unenforceable goal) however because we have a lull do to late loads, its skewed and they base start times off of that...which screws a lot of people. Anyway, I'm more or less a utility guy now as they trained a newbie on my pull while I was on vaca. Earlier this week, they asked me if I'd do this pull thats opening because its current loader is going driving. This pull is never under 5 unless you run basically. Not only that but it's a middle cage which irks my back for some reason (top or bottom I'm fine). I noticed it during peak as I had this pull then but I stuck it out til the end of it as I would be getting a new pull somewhere else after peak was over. Most 4 car pulls (1100+ pieces) can't be done under 5, especially with late loads and this one is no exception. So I told them I won't do it because I don't want to deal with them whining about being over 5, its not my problem. I understand someone far above them made this brilliant decision.

W

westsideworma

Perfect attendance for June? what about the other 11 months?

I never got anything for perfect attendance for a month or six months...

I've had it for many months as well...it just gets really bad during the summer (attendance) so they're doing something for it.

705red

Browncafe Steward
How is this possible contractually? (curious not trying to start an argument) I mean I don't really care right now (its hot humid and I'd like to go home) but normally I'll stay til its done. If the new guys have their guaranteed hours and I'm about to hit OT how can they send a higher seniority person home and keep an employee with lesser seniority on the clock? I mean sometimes the whole sort is about to go over 5 (due to the ways the loads arrive for us in the morning) then what do they do? Its always been by seniority up until now, there some new loophole in the contract thats been discovered? Or is there a real reason they can do this?

My pull is completed in just under 5 hrs (would be quicker but the loads are always late and I get a lot of stuff in those one) so like I said I'm not really being a pain about it right now. Thats a problem with them calculating our load rate. I know I load above 210 (their unenforceable goal) however because we have a lull do to late loads, its skewed and they base start times off of that...which screws a lot of people. Anyway, I'm more or less a utility guy now as they trained a newbie on my pull while I was on vaca. Earlier this week, they asked me if I'd do this pull thats opening because its current loader is going driving. This pull is never under 5 unless you run basically. Not only that but it's a middle cage which irks my back for some reason (top or bottom I'm fine). I noticed it during peak as I had this pull then but I stuck it out til the end of it as I would be getting a new pull somewhere else after peak was over. Most 4 car pulls (1100+ pieces) can't be done under 5, especially with late loads and this one is no exception. So I told them I won't do it because I don't want to deal with them whining about being over 5, its not my problem. I understand someone far above them made this brilliant decision.
I think what tie is saying is ups has the right to work the junior man if hes under 5 hours and the senior man is over 5. Ups has the right to work the junior employee if it prevents paying overtime, but if the junior guy gets ot than the higher guy can grieve it.

W

westsideworma

I think what tie is saying is ups has the right to work the junior man if hes under 5 hours and the senior man is over 5. Ups has the right to work the junior employee if it prevents paying overtime, but if the junior guy gets ot than the higher guy can grieve it.

thats what I was looking for, thanks red