I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

Market power: Trading one oligopoly for another?
Another element missing from the debate is that ride-hailing tends to be dominated by one or two firms in a given market (even though the charge of “oligopoly” is usually reserved for the taxi industry). That’s as expected and intended. As one Uber analyst and critic put it, the company’s “modus operandi is to subsidize fares and flood streets with its cars to achieve a transportation monopoly.”

The business models of big ride-hailing companies are premised on establishing and profiting from a dominant market position. This is why venture capitalists have been willing to pour billions into Uber even while it has continued to operate at a loss.

And it’s not just ride-hailing companies. We’re living in an era of huge winner-take-all digital platforms such as Facebook, Google, Amazon and others. These companies claim that users are only “one click away” from an alternative, but in reality, these dominant firms benefit from a powerful set of advantages, including what economists call “network effects.”

Network effects are features of certain markets wherein, the more users that participate in a given service, the greater the value of that service. This gives incumbent firms a major leg up and creates a tendency towards one or two companies dominating the market.

Uber and Lyft passengers usually find it unattractive switch to alternative upstarts—if they are even aware of them—because almost all the drivers are on the one or two established apps in their market. In turn, drivers have little incentive to switch to smaller apps because almost all the customers are using Uber or Lyft. It’s a self-reinforcing dynamic, like the one that helps keep Facebook dominant among social networks.2

Ride-hailing markets have shaped up in practice much as theory would suggest: highly concentrated. Uber and Lyft hold almost the entire market share for ride-hailing in the US.3

What’s missing from the Uber debate? Market power, congestion, pollution, and even deaths

rickyb

The workers were probably pretending to work.
probably. lots of places are like that, but im not sure it was going on at UPS.

when i worked at a restaraunt we used to drink on the job and my buddy got drunk.

worked at a lake and we pretended to work.

at my current job lots of guys damage company equipment because were paid by the hour.

rickyb

2 tier legal system, 2 tier economy; talking about late 90s stock bubble:

"It sounds obvious now, but what the average investor didn’t know at the time was that the banks had changed the rules of the game, making the deals look better than they actually were. They did this by setting up what was, in reality, a two-tiered investment system — one for the insiders who knew the real numbers, and another for the lay investor who was invited to chase soaring prices the banks themselves knew were irrational. While Goldman’s later pattern would be to capitalize on changes in the regulatory environment, its key innovation in the Internet years was to abandon its own industry’s standards of quality control."

..."he market was no longer a rationally managed place to grow real, profitable businesses: It was a huge ocean of Someone Else’s Money where bankers hauled in vast sums through whatever means necessary and tried to convert that money into bonuses and payouts as quickly as possible. If you laddered and spun 50 Internet IPOs that went bust within a year, so what? By the time the Securities and Exchange Commission got around to fining your firm $110 million, the yacht you bought with your IPO bonuses was already six years old. Besides, you were probably out of Goldman by then, running the U.S. Treasury or maybe the state of New Jersey. (One of the truly comic moments in the history of America’s recent financial collapse came when Gov. Jon Corzine of New Jersey, who ran Goldman from 1994 to 1999 and left with $320 million in IPO-fattened stock, insisted in 2002 that “I’ve never even heard the term ‘laddering’ before.”)

For a bank that paid out $7 billion a year in salaries, $110 million fines issued half a decade late were something far less than a deterrent —they were a joke. Once the Internet bubble burst, Goldman had no incentive to reassess its new, profit-driven strategy; it just searched around for another bubble to inflate. As it turns out, it had one ready, thanks in large part to Rubin."

The Great American Bubble Machine – Rolling Stone

Last edited:

rickyb

i just watched this video and it reminded me of fight club in the sense that they have repressed emotions or are being controlled and ugly things pop up. just telling people to "tough it" all the time is not a great idea.

also got me thinking now that some countries show their emotions more like france with the protests all the time, whereas in america theres less protests but more bursts of violence like mass shootings.

my conclusion ultimately is that people should care for each other, and sometimes emotions can hold you back and sometimes they can help so its about striking balance.

rickyb

chomsky mentions how Chile's economy was completely privatized by the chicago school of economic boys and they destroyed it in 5 years and had to turn it over to the govt after.

vantexan

chomsky mentions how Chile's economy was completely privatized by the chicago school of economic boys and they destroyed it in 5 years and had to turn it over to the govt after.

When was that? Chile has the best economy in Latin America although recent low commodity prices are hurting them.

probably. lots of places are like that, but im not sure it was going on at UPS.

when i worked at a restaraunt we used to drink on the job and my buddy got drunk.

worked at a lake and we pretended to work.

at my current job lots of guys damage company equipment because were paid by the hour.
When are you starting that co-op? When are any of the millionaires you listen to going to start co-ops or 501c3’s? When are any of them going to start HELPING and stop talking? It actually takes boots on the ground and not just lectures and videos to get this stuff rolling. Do any of these people/organizations actually produce what they preach?

rickyb

When are you starting that co-op? When are any of the millionaires you listen to going to start co-ops or 501c3’s? When are any of them going to start HELPING and stop talking? It actually takes boots on the ground and not just lectures and videos to get this stuff rolling. Do any of these people/organizations actually produce what they preach?
yea richard wolff does. i donate to his org.

talk helps because alot of people are clueless.