I got bit: how do *you* prevent bites from *sneaky* dogs?

Whither

Scofflaw
I was bitten and didn’t press charges. I went to the doctor, they (by law in my state) called animal control. Meanwhile I called a lawyer who did the rest of the leg work for a third of what we sued for. Amount varies based on the severity of the wound.

Also, animal control went to the house and verified the dog was up to date on rabies shot and made them quarantine the dog for 10 days. If no one reports it to animal control that dog is free to bite anyone.

I'm going to call Liberty animal control on Monday and see if I can get them to confirm that this dog has bitten several people. Hey, if the UPS driver says 2 of his coworkers have been, and I have been, then what about FedEx, USPS, the pizza delivery guy, etc. I gave the consignee the benefit of the doubt, but what smarts is to have learned that, no, he was just a smooth-talker. An ex-cop, he told me, and now a different kind of manager. Ofc he's well-versed in covering his ass. Besides hating the law, my hang-up is, I don't think it's a dog problem. Herding dogs can be loyal to the end. No shame in that, no reason for them to be put down. But as the owner of one, I know, you have to protect others from their ferocity. They're small, but godd*mn you can't underestimate em.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'm going to call Liberty animal control on Monday and see if I can get them to confirm that this dog has bitten several people. Hey, if the UPS driver says 2 of his coworkers have been, and I have been, then what about FedEx, USPS, the pizza delivery guy, etc. I gave the consignee the benefit of the doubt, but what smarts is to have learned that, no, he was just a smooth-talker. An ex-cop, he told me, and now a different kind of manager. Ofc he's well-versed in covering his ass. Besides hating the law, my hang-up is, I don't think it's a dog problem. Herding dogs can be loyal to the end. No shame in that, no reason for them to be put down. But as the owner of one, I know, you have to protect others from their ferocity. They're small, but godd*mn you can't underestimate em.
As a dog owner it is his responsibility to make sure his dog is secured. Period. I love dogs. But I don’t play with that kind of homeowner. What if it’s s child next time. I’d rather the dog be put down than a child killed due to his irresponsibility.

Call a lawyer
17bb83dd277b4309aec9790cf2f3dd9e.jpg

Whither

Scofflaw
Thanks for the encouragement y'all. I get it, I should already know: all we can do is do the best we can to protect ourselves, and hope that lawsuits can settle the rest. But * I prefer revenge. This consignee. Negligent * .

Last edited by a moderator:

Whither

Scofflaw
I almost killed a dog with DIAD I

Yeah, the nice old UPS driver I got the down-low from showed me how to use the DIAD to defend myself. I showed him my 'rabbit' and we both laughed. The DIAD isn't much, but our scanners are nothing. I've also had one near-miss, also on this Liberty route, and luckily there was a large tree branch on the side-porch (unsecured, broken gate, loose dog around the corner). Probably was the dog's chew-toy. I wielded that 4 ft long thing like a barbarian and completed the stop with one hand, finding a 2x4 to weigh down the envelope on a windy day. As luck had it, I was carefully backing off the porch and the owner showed. He was understanding and immediately got his 80-100 lb beast under control.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Pants help a lot. I got attacked by a bull dog, bit me twice before I realized what was going on. Because both were through cloth, I escaped with some bruising rather than lacerations or punctures. Smacked that mother in his stupid, stubby face with my diad once I got my bearings. That got him to back down.

DiadTrainer

I cut off gas meters for years and a few tid bits saved my ass alot of times. 1st and foremost if a dog is out and seems aggressive and its owner is also out, make the owner go inside! dogs attack more when their owners are around to 'protect' their area. 100% positive on this Unless the dog is trained to attack on sight. seriously try it and watch the dog go from attack mode to a stand their ground state.
2nd never turn your back on a barking dog. we've all seen this how they charge like a tiger on a elephant when u try to walk away. but face to face, it's only noise. walk backwards slowly!
3rd and last for this stat...and it might sound odd but 100% effective (unless its trained to attack) carry a small pocket sized umbrella!!! not to open it and scare the dog lol, to open it and it cant see you! mind you it will push them off but they wont press forward, only side to side while barking furiously....and walk backwards with it opened back to where you can be safe.
but if for some reason all else fails if it tries to attack try to gauge when they will bite and jab the diad in their mouth. dont let go, keep a firm grip and be ready for the next 2 surges. after the 3 strike they'll be a bit confused and that's when u whack them and prepare for another attempt to bite. biting on hard plastic with force a few times and a blow to the head and theyll bark like crazy, but you can proceed to walk backwards fmto your save zone. peace and good health to you all

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You’re as irresponsible as the dog owner for not pursuing injury damages. No different than a female beaten by her boyfriend/spouse and refusing to press charges.

BTW, ammonia in a spray bottle works wonders.

Whither

Scofflaw
You’re as irresponsible as the dog owner for not pursuing injury damages. No different than a female beaten by her boyfriend/spouse and refusing to press charges.

BTW, ammonia in a spray bottle works wonders.

Thanks for the tip. As for my pursuit of injury damages, see posts #30 and #33 above.

MarvelousMunata

The Scapegoat With Attitude
Please tell me that police report was made. Right?
I wouldnt have delivered another thing til cops areived and charges were pressed. Thats a serious thing man.
Ur tellin me other people were attacked too. Nah. The owner doesn't need a dog then.