I got bit: how do *you* prevent bites from *sneaky* dogs?

Whither

Scofflaw
Yes. Once safe I immediately called my dispatcher. He instructed me to call the police and get a report. They sent animal control. I waited over half an hour in the driveway chatting with the consignee, sizing him up. At the time I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Then I ran into the UPS driver.

I have the case number, the official report is forthcoming. I'll be talking with a lawyer tomorrow. I'd like to get in touch with the UPS drivers who were also bitten at this address and see if they won't join me filing a suit.

Yes. Once safe I immediately called my dispatcher. He instructed me to call the police and get a report. They sent animal control. I waited over half an hour in the driveway chatting with the consignee, sizing him up. At the time I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Then I ran into the UPS driver.

I have the case number, the official report is forthcoming. I'll be talking with a lawyer tomorrow. I'd like to get in touch with the UPS drivers who were also bitten at this address and see if they won't join me filing a suit.
Ate you an employee of Amazon or a contractor?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
He still can... they're following the FedEx contractors model.

If they're not 1099, the drivers' paycheck have taxes deducted

That's the good thing about my route; it's the same area & I gained area knowledge of whose home has bad dogs and to rainbag their stuff and driver release at the gate/ fence.

One of the few that carries dog treats in my shirt pocket. No peanut butter kind; I can't believe that a couple of them have allergies to it. That's why some customers have specialized food from chewy.com
Glad you are ok though.

I didn't have to get those series of rabies shots when I got bit since I immediately request the paperwork from the dog owner... nor was bitten that bad to warrant a lawsuit.

In your case, good thing u filed a police report. So they have paper trail/ history of that bad dog owner. See if the police station has that for your lawyer to help your case if u do go after that irresponsible person

OrioN

Here's one way to deal with it...

Goto a local store like this one:

Dollar Tree logo_0.png

Find this section:

348s.jpg

Pick your choice of various scents...

sketch-1557686223505.png

The dogs will generally be put off by the scent.

P.S. you may have a reverse effect with the lonely house wives on your route, but it's a good trade off (in my opinion)

Graphic-designers-give-superheroes-and-villains-a-day-job-endorsing-products-13__880.jpg

Brownt10

Thursday I ran the downtown/business district Liberty, MO route. Amazon tosses me this route randomly, once or twice a month. Never often enough to hone it. Mostly ungridded and too many consignees who have personal packages sent to their workplaces, often enough stand-alone addresses wo suite numbers, and always wo C/O-ing the name of the business. C'mon.

Anyway. Had shaped up to be a rough day. Spilled coffee on my uniform shirt just before the first stop. Lots of traffic, stops I'd never made before along busy roads. In a tightly-spaced bank parking lot had to get out of the van to prevent a 50-something woman in a new Lincoln SUV from clipping the rear passenger quarter of my Promaster. Barely stopped her in time, and couldn't resist tapping on her passenger side mirror and telling her, "Next time, make sure you use this guy, that's why they installed it for you."

I had 40 stops left. The next 5 were along N Ridge Ave. The nearby elementary was just letting students out. Decided, as usual, was safer to partially block traffic along the 2-lane 35mph street and walk off each stop than 2 point reverse into one 200 ft driveway after another. And besides, even in Promasters, we're not supposed to enter customers' driveways (ha, try that on rural routes!).

I strolled down the driveway. Never delivered to this address before. Good line of sight, no evident danger. As I neared the house with a small envelope, a resident exited through the side door into his car port. I hailed him "Amazon! I have a package for you!" Just as I had completed the delivery outside the car port, a bit of polite chit-chat, and was preparing to leave, something appeared in the corner of my eye. It was a red heeler. Already within striking distance. I learned it had been in the backyard, around the corner, out of my sight. I was a bit startled, because it had snuck up silently -- ofc I would've heard it barking or growling -- and it had that look in its eye ... but I don't claim to be a dog-whisperer. I knew it was going to approach me, but was a toss-up whether it was going to give me a serious sniff or else attack.

I said, "Wait!" The owner casually, putting me further off-guard, addressed his dog by name. And just like that, the dog leapt at me, snarling. I had nothing in hand but a 'rabbit' (our scanners: slow, heavy-duty smartphones), useless for defense. I leapt backward. Not far enough, as one of the canine teeth struck its target just below my left knee. I yelled furiously. The heeler circled, readying for a second attack, but I charged first, kicking at its snout and connecting at least twice without injury. The dog squirreled away, eventually was wrangled by the owner and put inside the house.

I cursed at the owner, then calmed down. I called my dispatcher, who instructed me to file a police report. I reversed the van into the drive. The owner fetched supplies for me to disinfect and dress the wound. All said and done we passed 45 minutes, uncomfortably, in his drive. Never once, of course, did he mention what I learned.

My dispatcher said he would send help, but since it didn't arrive by the time I got to my last 20 stops, I texted him to forget about it and finished the d*mn route. And I'm glad I did. At my next-to-last stop I crossed paths with UPS. I got to chatting with the driver and he exclaimed, "Red heeler! What was the address?" He looked me in the eyes and sternly said, "I know that address. Two of our drivers have bitten by that same dog." Turns out, for a while they had tried just releasing the packages to the entry of the drive, but the customer had complained and now they, too, have to keep taking the risk ... even if at least they have a warning about this address in the delivery notes. Me, I wouldn't touch that place with a 10 ft pole. My old man told me I should carry bear mace, ha. Maybe he wasn't wrong.

Here's the thing. If the d*mned consignee hadn't appeared, 'distracting' me with customer service requirements, I prolly would've been able to protect myself against this dog, stealthy though it was. Likewise if the son of a b*tch consignee had given me any warning sign. But no, he played it cool and I gave myself up for a fool. I didn't press charges, and don't feel bad about that, because 1. I loathe all governments and 2. my problem isn't with the heeler ... under other circumstances we might be friends, ha, and my mixed border collie would do the same thing, if I opened the door when a carrier knocks. My problem is with the negligent consignee, who clearly values getting his effing trinkets over the safety of those of us carry them. My boss is trying to get Amazon to 'blacklist' this customer, but that means only they'll send his Amazon orders to USPS/UPS/FedEx. Whereas, like the Wobblies, I say: no, no soup for you!
I got written up for smearing peanut butter where it doesn’t belong bc I love to play with dogs and when these two German Shepherds tore a hole in my pants the owner called the center and ya.... just put it this way it was embarrassing

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Here's one way to deal with it...

Goto a local store like this one:

View attachment 247746

Find this section:

348s.jpg

Pick your choice of various scents...

View attachment 247747

The dogs will generally be put off by the scent.

P.S. you may have a reverse effect with the lonely house wives on your route, but it's a good trade off (in my opinion)

Graphic-designers-give-superheroes-and-villains-a-day-job-endorsing-products-13__880.jpg
So you're saying a French whore has never been bitten by a dog? Interesting.

Whither

Scofflaw
Welp. Go figure. Just got off the phone with a firm that local UPS employees frequently use for work comp claims. In brief, the lawyer advised: WC will pay chump change at most, and a civil suit against the consignee/dog owner even less. Basically, the courts in our two great states wouldn't give two :censored2:s re: a documented history of bites and the owner's negligence. The heeler will have to maul someone.

So, Fred's Myth, what was that you were telling me about my negligence? The 'system' couldn't care less.

ticoo

3DFD61CD-508B-46CE-8F36-5A01D732D7DF.jpeg Hey
Thursday I ran the downtown/business district Liberty, MO route. Amazon tosses me this route randomly, once or twice a month. Never often enough to hone it. Mostly ungridded and too many consignees who have personal packages sent to their workplaces, often enough stand-alone addresses wo suite numbers, and always wo C/O-ing the name of the business. C'mon.

Anyway. Had shaped up to be a rough day. Spilled coffee on my uniform shirt just before the first stop. Lots of traffic, stops I'd never made before along busy roads. In a tightly-spaced bank parking lot had to get out of the van to prevent a 50-something woman in a new Lincoln SUV from clipping the rear passenger quarter of my Promaster. Barely stopped her in time, and couldn't resist tapping on her passenger side mirror and telling her, "Next time, make sure you use this guy, that's why they installed it for you."

I had 40 stops left. The next 5 were along N Ridge Ave. The nearby elementary was just letting students out. Decided, as usual, was safer to partially block traffic along the 2-lane 35mph street and walk off each stop than 2 point reverse into one 200 ft driveway after another. And besides, even in Promasters, we're not supposed to enter customers' driveways (ha, try that on rural routes!).

I strolled down the driveway. Never delivered to this address before. Good line of sight, no evident danger. As I neared the house with a small envelope, a resident exited through the side door into his car port. I hailed him "Amazon! I have a package for you!" Just as I had completed the delivery outside the car port, a bit of polite chit-chat, and was preparing to leave, something appeared in the corner of my eye. It was a red heeler. Already within striking distance. I learned it had been in the backyard, around the corner, out of my sight. I was a bit startled, because it had snuck up silently -- ofc I would've heard it barking or growling -- and it had that look in its eye ... but I don't claim to be a dog-whisperer. I knew it was going to approach me, but was a toss-up whether it was going to give me a serious sniff or else attack.

I said, "Wait!" The owner casually, putting me further off-guard, addressed his dog by name. And just like that, the dog leapt at me, snarling. I had nothing in hand but a 'rabbit' (our scanners: slow, heavy-duty smartphones), useless for defense. I leapt backward. Not far enough, as one of the canine teeth struck its target just below my left knee. I yelled furiously. The heeler circled, readying for a second attack, but I charged first, kicking at its snout and connecting at least twice without injury. The dog squirreled away, eventually was wrangled by the owner and put inside the house.

I cursed at the owner, then calmed down. I called my dispatcher, who instructed me to file a police report. I reversed the van into the drive. The owner fetched supplies for me to disinfect and dress the wound. All said and done we passed 45 minutes, uncomfortably, in his drive. Never once, of course, did he mention what I learned.

My dispatcher said he would send help, but since it didn't arrive by the time I got to my last 20 stops, I texted him to forget about it and finished the d*mn route. And I'm glad I did. At my next-to-last stop I crossed paths with UPS. I got to chatting with the driver and he exclaimed, "Red heeler! What was the address?" He looked me in the eyes and sternly said, "I know that address. Two of our drivers have bitten by that same dog." Turns out, for a while they had tried just releasing the packages to the entry of the drive, but the customer had complained and now they, too, have to keep taking the risk ... even if at least they have a warning about this address in the delivery notes. Me, I wouldn't touch that place with a 10 ft pole. My old man told me I should carry bear mace, ha. Maybe he wasn't wrong.

Here's the thing. If the d*mned consignee hadn't appeared, 'distracting' me with customer service requirements, I prolly would've been able to protect myself against this dog, stealthy though it was. Likewise if the son of a b*tch consignee had given me any warning sign. But no, he played it cool and I gave myself up for a fool. I didn't press charges, and don't feel bad about that, because 1. I loathe all governments and 2. my problem isn't with the heeler ... under other circumstances we might be friends, ha, and my mixed border collie would do the same thing, if I opened the door when a carrier knocks. My problem is with the negligent consignee, who clearly values getting his effing trinkets over the safety of those of us carry them. My boss is trying to get Amazon to 'blacklist' this customer, but that means only they'll send his Amazon orders to USPS/UPS/FedEx. Whereas, like the Wobblies, I say: no, no soup for you![/QUOTE. Stop crying you got bit. You say you were distracted by cust Serv requirements. Omg can you not walk and chew gum at the same time. Then you said if he was not there it may be different you might have been able to beat the dog at his own game. What the difference between owner being there or not. As soon as that dog made any kind of aggressive move my focus would be on the dog with me telling the person control your dog. If no reaction or help from owner then I scan my surroundings and pick something up to throw at dog or defend myself end of story. If it comes down to him or me it will always be him if possible. In short. If you wanna make over a 100k a year and the best benes in the industry. And probably the best benes from most corporations Where I live I deliver in the Everglades so yes many dogs not so many signs. Plus snakes up the backend. That’s just the beginning. How about big Black bears. So pull your panties up and cust service is always second when your life could be in peril. Even on your own property you must control your animal

OrioN

I used Pavlov Theory on my bid route...

sketch-1561296262374.png

Squeaky chicken to announce the FedEx driver has arrived with a dog treat if they behave...

sketch-1561296292357.png

Credit to @soberups for his diad pouch idea

After a while, I just choke the chicken and pet the dogs... no treats needed, but I'm a sucker for friendly pets.

The trainees this summer won't have to deal with nasty dogs on my bid route! I do have to warn them about one bad German shepherd though...

th

@Wally

I'm going to miss this guy over the summer...

dsc_0010-jpg.198839

He doubled in size in just a year!