I got the call! Questions about going fulltime with no current contract

Ashell

I have been working in the hub for several years and I finally got the call for full time driver. Since the contract hasn't been ratified yet, I have some questions.

They told me full time driver starts at 16.10 (which is less than cover driver 17.00) but if I make more than 16.10 I stay in my current progression. I'm close to 16, and next august I would be over 16$/hr. Would I just make 16.10 till august and then make my progression rate? Am I locked into what ever new full time driver rate is?

Secondly, everyone keeps saying we are going to get retro on the raises once the contract passes. Would I forfeit that retro?

Any other things I should know about accepting fulltime with the state of the contract or even time of the year?

Finally, any tips? passing the driving test and things like that. I'm pretty vanilla looking and no problem with the pee test. I have heard some people get screwed over on little stuff driving.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
They told me full time driver starts at 16.10 (which is less than cover driver 17.00) but if I make more than 16.10 I stay in my current progression. I'm close to 16, and next august I would be over 16$/hr. Would I just make 16.10 till august and then make my progression rate? Am I locked into what ever new full time driver rate is?

If your inside rate is higher than the starting wage for drivers, you would stay at your inside wage until your driving progression exceeds it. Since you said it's under $16 it is irrelevant anyway; you are beginning a new progression as a driver.

$16.10 is the pre-seniority rate under the last contract; since the new contract has not been ratified yet you will start at $16.10. Once you pass your probation you will begin making $17.25. Now here's the fun part;

The pre and post seniority wage for new drivers in the new contract is $18.75. So, keep track of your hours, because UPS will owe you $2.65/hr ($3.98 OT) retro pay for hours worked during your probation, and $1.50 ($2.25 OT) after your make your seniority…you will get this money when the contract passes.

Once you pass seniority your progression will look like this:
Seniority - $18.75
12 months - $19.50
24 months - $21.00
36 months - $25.00
48 months - Top Scale

Secondly, everyone keeps saying we are going to get retro on the raises once the contract passes. Would I forfeit that retro?

If you are owed a raise as an insider you are not forfeiting your retro pay by going driving. That is owed to you. UPS has been paying you less per hour than they should have since August 1st; that is money you earned and money you will be paid.

Any other things I should know about accepting fulltime with the state of the contract or even time of the year?
The state of the contract is irrelevant other than you should be keeping track of your hours (which you should do anyway) because UPS is going to owe you retro pay for every single hour you're on the clock until the contract passes.

Finally, any tips?

Study your DOK. Memorize it the best you can. Ask for a cheat sheet and read it every night until you know it cold.

Whatever the contract, how much do you want to get paid to hump the same box? Pt wages and hours or Ft wages and hours?

Ashell

Thanks for the answer jordanovich. But, my steward said that PT employees that had not obtained seniority before august first will not be paid a retro. And, we had some people quit during and after peak, those people don't get retros either.

Another question. They sent me a link to go in and apply for driver. This is common right? They are not firing me as PT and Hiring me as FT, right? I have pissed off management with a couple grievances, and they are pretty shady to begin with. I almost think they gave me the call so they could research my past and find some dirt on me. (side story)

So basically if they did try to pull paper work BS like this, I could be surrendering my years of service as a PT and my years of pension. How can I make sure all my bases are covered?

Side story, I have been having problems with management. I swear I heard my fulltime sup's sup say, everywhere he (me) goes there are our people. Then one day we had a spill and it wasn't cleaned up correctly. I reported it to OSHA. The OSHA liaison gave me her personal # saying call me first I'll take care of it. We all know they just don't want people outside of UPS involved, because that is not their people. I don't think anything ever really happened other than a bunch of audits. The spill did get cleaned up after days. I did meet with the OSHA person and the steward and we had an open conversation. They said I could also voice concerns at the safety committee meeting, and anyone can attend and get paid for it. I went to the meeting and they didn't pay me for it. Then they changed it to, you only get paid if you have a concern, but you should probably just tell your area safety person instead of going. I will probably just remind them to put in my time, and then file on it if they don't. I did talk about my concerns and how the spill was not cleaned up correctly and then tracked through the building, to containers, and to other hubs. I just hope all goes well with going full time so I can get away from that group of people. But its like he said, everywhere I go, its their people, who value their own paycheck a hell of a lot more than mine or any wrong doing by management of the company.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
PT Employees who didn't attain seniority before Aug. 1st won't be owed a retro check because of the $0.70/hr GWI raise (PT'ers with post-Aug. 1st 2013 seniority dates will be in the new PT progression) but will be owed retro pay from the increase in starting pay ($8.50 to $10.00, minus the $1.00 raise after 90 days).

The only way you could be canned for trying to go driving would be if you had a felony from before you were hired that you never disclosed or tried to conceal. I don't think they conduct pre-employment background checks on PT'ers and a lot of people slip under the net; any type of felony related to dishonesty (larceny, theft, forgery, etc.) will typically disqualify you from employment at UPS. I know for a fact UPS will conduct a background check on anyone trying to qualify in feeders and/or air operations (certain parts of the operation that directly involve loading air containers -- this is federal law) . Not 100% sure if they do the same for package car, but it wouldn't surprise me.

When you go FT, you have a 30 working day probationary period. If you're DQ'd by the company (unless you get into a serious accident) or self-DQ, you simply go back into the building to your former position. Even if you were fired, you're already vested in the PT pension if you have at least 5 years of covered service - they can't ever take that away from you. Each PT year typically transfers over as 1/2 of a FT year -- ie. you work 10 years PT and go FT, you then have 5 years of credit towards your FT pension but you would have to work another 5 years FT to become vested in your "new" pension plan.

Ashell

Thanks for the info piedmont. I work in an air hub and I'm certified to load air cans. I'm pretty sure there is already a CEBA2 (or whatever it is) on me. I'm not sure what they would find on me.

ncupser82

Once you pass seniority your progression will look like this:
Seniority - $18.75
12 months - $19.50
24 months - $21.00
36 months - $25.00
48 months - Top Scale
Assuming we ever get to the new contract, but I thought since we are still under the old contract, his progression would fall under the 2008 contract. Which means his progression would only be 36 months, right?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mr Shifter

Here part time employees who are Temporary Cover drivers make 85% of top rate. Hence the $27 per hour pay. I have meet a few seasonal drivers who have been with the company as little as a year work the Christmas season as a driver for $27 an hour.

shyne504

I been working at ups since 2006. I transfer to another building because of school reasons. But when I finish school I came back to my original building. But when it came down for me to become a full time driver. I was told I can't because I lost my building seniority but no one never told me this and it's not in the union handbook stating that. So I need answers on how can I keep my original seniority. Thanks

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I been working at ups since 2006. I transfer to another building because of school reasons. But when I finish school I came back to my original building. But when it came down for me to become a full time driver. I was told I can't because I lost my building seniority but no one never told me this and it's not in the union handbook stating that. So I need answers on how can I keep my original seniority. Thanks.

It is your responsibility to fully understand everything involved with a transfer prior to accepting one.

Your retain your original seniority date for vacations and pension but lose your building seniority, which is only fair.