I Hate Ups

DS

Fenderbender
Have you ever typed I hate ups in the google search?
Some of the stories are hilarious.example....they always
come when I`m not home,what am I supposed to do, take
a day off to get my package?
If they`d take the time to read the info notice they would see they have a few other options. A lot of customers think we`re
ok ...heres one tidbit I found...
The only thing that I have noticed is that all of the UPS boxes that get delivered here are very dusty and dirty.This doesn`t happen with FedEx and others,just UPS.Its like they drag the boxes behind the truck for awhile before they deliver them.
Our customers suffer dearly in the name of production.

S

speeddemon

Well in my center, we have alot of rural routes. The seals on the back doors dont work and it sucks in dirt from the back door. After a couple of hours, you literally have an 1/8 of a inch of dirt on the boxes.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Speed, you dont have to be on a RR to get the dust on the packages, down town runs have the dust too. As for seals on the doors, and holes in the floor......

d

U

UPS Jeff

I did the Google search and there were 19.8 MILLION hits--wow! I read quite a few and they were right on the money about most complaints!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I get those complaints constantly about dirty pkgs. I just show them my hands and how they are equally as dirty. No in my case it isnt the boxes or the rural roads, its coz there is STILL soot in our trucks from a fire 28 months ago. Thats right 28 months, its still on the doors the bulkheads, and the shelves. Some of them have never been cleaned. Mine being one of them...and I think it is a health hazard, but you gotta keep those car wash hours down. But we care sooooooooo much about safety. Wont matter 30 yrs from now when we all are dead from those carcinogens I could put seeds in the corners of my truck back corners and stuff will grow, guaranteed. Good Idea, I think Ill do that tomorrow. Ill let you know in 3 wks.

wornoutupser

The door seals are a contract issue and you have the RIGHT to demand that they are maintained. I just went through the same issue-highly rural run, P-5 garbage truck that needs to be crushed.
I finally went to my manager and had him call the automotive manager after I read the contract language.
Presto! Home made rear door seals were installed that night by the mechanic.
I am SICK of UPS ignoring their contractual responsibilities- they certainly hold me accountable!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
its comes down to ups management being "drama queens." If there is no drama in their jobs they dont think that they are doing a good job. Can you imagine a ups where management actually listens to employees thoughts and really follow up on things......ah what a wonderful dream.

tieguy

Banned
coldworld said:
its comes down to ups management being "drama queens." If there is no drama in their jobs they dont think that they are doing a good job. Can you imagine a ups where management actually listens to employees thoughts and really follow up on things......ah what a wonderful dream.

If I hear you correctly you would like to be listened to and have input into the operation and conditions that affect you. :)

Hangingon

I actually miss the old yearly TLA's. It didn't accomplish much but it forced your supervisor to actually sit and talk with you one on one. Now if you can get their ear for more then 5 seconds unless it's a disciplinary matter it's a miracle.

trickpony1

Tie,

Nice reflection!
Do you all go to school to learn how to do that?

In actuality, nothing got done but "coldworld" left the conversation with a really warm fuzzy feeling.

over9five

Staff member
"If I hear you correctly you would like to be listened to and have input into the operation and conditions that affect you."

A little more than "warm and fuzzy".
Tie, you make me hot, baby!!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
yes tie, to a certain extent...especially in ideas on how to keep customers happy and GROW THE BUSINESS. I know that the job of managenent is TO MANAGE their workers....I dont think anyone has a problem with that. Why is ups as a whole so damn obsessive on micromanaging their employees. if I wanted to be an insider and run the "operational" day to day tasks of management then I would put my letter in. Another problem with managenent "listening" is that most of the time they have so much on their agenda that it makes for almost impossible one on one time with them, unless its a dicipline issue. I dont think that the powers to be at ups realize if there was a little easing up on certain aspects of this job, like the "numbers" and production that they would see a huge decrease of complaints, grievences, more volume, less call ins from unhappy customers, etc. And please see that I said " little", not an opening of the floodgates. And please dont say that if there was a bit of easing up that then the union and ups workers would take advantage of this. What is your honest opinion of this idea tie?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Cold

Might I add to your list of positive aspects of management listening to hourly is that the hourly would maybe, just maybe, begin to really like their professions a bit. And yes, being a UPS driver is a profession, not just a job. And in many cases, professionals are listened to by those above them, and their input is valued.

In some centers it is that way, in others, you are just a body to fill a truck, nothing more. Shame.

Imagine what 430,000 excited and motivated sales people all hitting the street would do for our volume. Within a year DHL would go back to Germany with its yellow tail between its legs, and FedEx could sell us some of their unused planes.

d

Coldworld

60 months and counting
absolutely right danny. I dont think it would take that much for things to change, especially if comming from senior atlanta officials. There is for sure an underlying cloud that keeps ups from ultimately shutting down dhl and fedex for good. ups has the employees to do it.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
do you think managenent realizes this but since this kind of treatment has been going on for so long they dont want to mess with it. I think that management uses the fence between hourly and themselves as a point of "achievement" to judge to profitibility and success of this company. In other words, if managenent doesnt keep up the extreme pressure then either profits go way down or we go out of business and that is just absolutely not true, since management seems to do things just to spite people or go opposite of what the workers think is right. Even though it COSTS MORE MONEY.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I think that the wall you mentioned does exists in some centers more than others. And like Reagan, I think that wall needs to come down.

Nothing like buying a $250,000 sports car to get groceries once a week. Yeah it will do the job, but is that really the most effective and best way to use the car?

I also think that the union needs to see things are changing and stop the stupid rhetoric that they seem to feel is needed. Tough talk for tough times, but the times ahead need smart brains working together to see us at the top in 20 years.

I say to Mike, turn your employees loose on the competition. Then sit back and watch us "gitter done"

As to management, there is some good management out there. And some that need to be working the garbage truck for the county. Until they get rid of some of the sadists that have been promoted, I dont see things changing too much. But that could change tomorrow.

d

Threshold

I hate those power happy bastards. You just gotta know how to get back at them. You just gotta keep your eyes open, and push the envelope a few times. Like going to bathroom 1 minute before break (for PT). Their not perfect, and when they let their guard down, you make sure to pounce like a jaguar. :devil: