I hate Walmart

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I experienced that sort of behavior countless times in my courier days. I soon came to realize it was people with extremely low self-esteem who were just making a pathetic effort to show that they wielded some sort of power.

I played their game, and it was usually they who suffered the consequences in the end. I always told them we deliver to addresses and that it was up to their internal rats to run it to its ultimate destination. (Now this was a long long time ago during the Cro-magnon federalexpress era, so I don't know how that would play out today)

Now obviously I used common sense when it came to delivery locations, based upon what type of freight they were getting, but I once took over a route that had a business in which they had THIRTEEN different locations they wanted us to deliver to based upon whatever dept was on the address. And the guy who had the route before me was actually DOING it. I told them that I wasn't "good ol' Bob" and they could kiss those days fondly goodbye and designate ONE drop point of their choice....which they did - and we got along just fine there after. (truth-be-told, I got the impression that even they thought that "good ol' Bob" had been quite the fool for accommodating them so)

But it truly is amazing the number of people out there who seem to think they're the only ones in the world we have to deal with the entire day - and one of the primary reasons I went over to AGT&T (now AGFS).

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Target is bad too. Had a delivery( thank God one time) you can't just knock on the metal corrugated door, they won't open it until you go to the side door and ring the buzzer and actually walk in so you are on camera constantly.

whenIgetthere

The manager was standing right there and all she had to do was sign your Power Pad yet she told you to go around back? Refused.

I mentioned this stop to my manager when I took over the route and was told I couldn't DEX it as refused unless I was at the specified receiving point. No skin off my a--, it's an extra 15 minutes pay a couple of times a week when I have to go back. WAD!

Last edited:

CHALLY9TX

Walmart is my first stop (other than NDA) every day and, yes, they can be a complete pain in the ass. Ours has 3 doors but 2 of them have trailers on them so we are all fighting over 1 door. We are in no way allowed to bring packages to customer service so if I have any misloads I have to get back before they close or it will be sheeted as Closed.

You just described how I deliver the walmart on my route. 99% off the time there's a dock open for me. When it's not I pull up to the side door and the receiving person brings out a pallet for me. Anything not delivered at that time (misloads/found in load) gets sheeted as closed per the receivers request.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Hmmm....

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1416024700.532622.jpg

Sent using a Potato

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You just described how I deliver the walmart on my route. 99% off the time there's a dock open for me. When it's not I pull up to the side door and the receiving person brings out a pallet for me. Anything not delivered at that time (misloads/found in load) gets sheeted as closed per the receivers request.

If all of the doors are full I either have to wait or come back-----they will not allow me to back to the side door and put the packages on to a pallet.

CHALLY9TX

If all of the doors are full I either have to wait or come back-----they will not allow me to back to the side door and put the packages on to a pallet.

That sucks. I put my foot down. They want their stuff early then they're gonna get it early and receive it when I'm there. This is only if the walmart truck is taking up the open dock as those walmart drivers tend to take their sweet time switching out trailers.

dezguy

I used to have a Walmart on one of my older routes. I would get there just before their receiving closed. If I was even one minute late, they would not answer the door. I would ring anyways, just to cover my butt and wait 5 minutes to see if they would answer (paid by the hour. I'll take a nice 5 minute paid break). After the 5 min, I would dex the packages, which usually included the eyewear store. Usually would get a message about 25 minutes later asking if I could go back and deliver everything to the front.

Nope, they won't receive in the front.
Can you go back and deliver the optical stuff through the front directly?
Nope, they have a receiving for a reason. Not my problem if they don't want to answer the door. *insert manager name* knows that I don't get here till just before they close, if *insert manager name* wants to guarantee this stuff get delivered, he/she should adjust my route.

You just have to play the game. Eventually, they'll get sick of not getting their stuff and answer the damn door. If not, enjoy standing around not doing anything while getting paid for it.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I experienced that sort of behavior countless times in my courier days. I soon came to realize it was people with extremely low self-esteem who were just making a pathetic effort to show that they wielded some sort of power.

Oohhhh, they're fun people. Thankfully I've not had too many like that. I tell them all the same thing. "This can be really easy on both of us or a real hassle for both of us. It's your call." It's worked well.

WM/Target/Walgreen's haven't been problematic unless I've been stuck behind someone at the pharmacy. Some of the techs will go ahead and sign while waiting on someone; others won't until they take care of everyone else in line. The only issue we've had with WM is when it's their payroll. They don't raise a stink if we have to DEX 08 them because their dock was closed, but if it's their payroll we are to take it to the front.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Fifteen minutes? Where the hell do people come off thinking we have that kind of time to wait for them to pull their thumb out of dark places and receive their crap? Can't say I would have been back later for that one.

An irritated customer once told me that it wouldn't have been but a 10 minute wait on a signature. I told her I was only allowed to wait 9 minutes and 22 seconds. She said, "Oh, I didn't realize that." LOL, right over her head!