I Just Don't Get It

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I recently went through my first bid at my building. I was cover for the first year and a half once going full time, learned suburb/country routes to cover high seniority vacations and such. Was always around scratch, never really bothered by management except for the occasional "bad day" which I never cared about. I always brought it back safe without injury or accident, work at a steady pace while always taking my full lunch.

Being towards the bottom of the bid list, ended up with a city route. Didn't want to cover, wanted my own route no matter how crappy. First few weeks, figured out all the little nuances of the route and seem to run it fine. Constantly told I'm around an hour over, having a talking to almost every morning.

So, being a city route with a lot of upper/lower homes, I stopped DR packages that have been fine to leave. Sending stuff to Access Points and redelivering the next day the other half of the route that doesn't send stuff to Access Points. Reduced DR stops by about 40/day from the previous bid driver. The last 10 days doing this, I'm suddenly only 20 minutes over.

What I don't get, is we provide a service. And this company, based on their numbers, is saying I'm doing a better job by not delivering packages. Making customers go to Access Points or wait extra days to receive their stuff. Another failure in a long line of issues IMO.
Once you wake up and stop worrying about numbers your life will become a lot easier. What's the worse that could happen? You get an OJS, big deal. If you are doing the job and trying, nothing will happen. The numbers are theirs, not ours.

I find that they really don’t want to talk about production with me. I cherish the opportunity to review every stop with them. I am extremely proud of the many stops I find through investigation and the tricks I use.

jbrockins

I recently went through my first bid at my building. I was cover for the first year and a half once going full time, learned suburb/country routes to cover high seniority vacations and such. Was always around scratch, never really bothered by management except for the occasional "bad day" which I never cared about. I always brought it back safe without injury or accident, work at a steady pace while always taking my full lunch.

Being towards the bottom of the bid list, ended up with a city route. Didn't want to cover, wanted my own route no matter how crappy. First few weeks, figured out all the little nuances of the route and seem to run it fine. Constantly told I'm around an hour over, having a talking to almost every morning.

So, being a city route with a lot of upper/lower homes, I stopped DR packages that have been fine to leave. Sending stuff to Access Points and redelivering the next day the other half of the route that doesn't send stuff to Access Points. Reduced DR stops by about 40/day from the previous bid driver. The last 10 days doing this, I'm suddenly only 20 minutes over.

What I don't get, is we provide a service. And this company, based on their numbers, is saying I'm doing a better job by not delivering packages. Making customers go to Access Points or wait extra days to receive their stuff. Another failure in a long line of issues IMO.

Zowert

I know how you feel. During my first year I’d run n gun every route I covered. Management would pile the stops on me as a result. I’m not sure how it affected the bid drivers when they came back from vacation but something must’ve been said because an old timer pulled me aside and basically told me to slow the friend down. From then on I followed the methods to a T. As a result I’d get a chat with the desk jockeys almost every morning..

“What’s going on? Your numbers are slacking lately!” After about a month of being hassled like this I mentioned it to my shop steward, told him I felt like I was being harassed. He must’ve done something because I haven’t heard a word from management about my ‘numbers’ since.