I love this job

JustWorkin

3rd year rate and will easily make $90k this year. Boy just had a $400 medical bill that we paid $9 for. I get to work outside and get all that vitamin D to keep the corvid at bay, fresh air, no micromanaging, stay in shape. Wife gets to stay home and raise the kids.

Work at a fair, safe pace in the fresh air and make all the money with free healthcare. It's surprising that so many people complain. And now winter is coming which is 100x better than the heat. I love it.
This made me smile. I love seeing people who enjoys their job around here.

Zowert

You’re right, the money and benefits make this job great. Other than that, nah.. No one would do this crap for Amazon wages, which may become reality now since they’re starting a fleet of P-series vehicles. Imagine driving around the same package car, delivering the same volume with 150# irregs included for $16/hr and no benefits. Yeah... No healthcare, no PTO, no pension but the same work load. With that in mind I am very grateful for being where I’m at. My wife makes a good money as well, so we are set. For now..?

Seymour Packages

You’re right, the money and benefits make this job great. Other than that, nah.. No one would do this crap for Amazon wages, which may become reality now since they’re starting a fleet of P-series vehicles. Imagine driving around the same package car, delivering the same volume with 150# irregs included for $16/hr and no benefits. Yeah... No healthcare, no PTO, no pension but the same work load. With that in mind I am very grateful for being where I’m at. My wife makes a good money as well, so we are set. For now..?
100% agree. In this line of work, all is well until it isn't. It takes one injury to lose all of the beautiful things mentioned by the OP. Pay, awesome. Benefits, solid. Pension, stable. HOWEVER, it is unwise for an otherwise unskilled RPCD, 22.4, Air Driver, etc to not have another stream of income or learn another skill. Take CDL classes, weekend classes to get a trade, online school, start a business, whatever you can do to provide for you and yours in the event of layoffs, a strike, or career ending injury.

Laguna Preload

3rd year rate and will easily make $90k this year. Boy just had a $400 medical bill that we paid $9 for. I get to work outside and get all that vitamin D to keep the corvid at bay, fresh air, no micromanaging, stay in shape. Wife gets to stay home and raise the kids.

Work at a fair, safe pace in the fresh air and make all the money with free healthcare. It's surprising that so many people complain. And now winter is coming which is 100x better than the heat. I love it.
1603206441094.gif

MethodsMan

I actually really like my job too. Would way rather be doing this and getting paid what I do than be sitting at an office desk answering emails or having deadlines.

It helps a lot when you have decent seniority and bid a cushy route. I’ve definitely never been a kiss ass to management. I just stay off the radar.

El Correcto

god is dead

How are we ever going to demand more money with this attitude? Can you quit blowing our cover here buddy?

El Correcto

god is dead
When overtime is forced I hate, get me on the 9.5 list. When overtime isn’t being offered, where the :censored2: did all my overtime go? This is unacceptable I’m filing for any rookies working more hours than me.

quad decade guy

I actually really like my job too. Would way rather be doing this and getting paid what I do than be sitting at an office desk answering emails or having deadlines.

It helps a lot when you have decent seniority and bid a cushy route. I’ve definitely never been a kiss ass to management. I just stay off the radar.
Cushy route? Never seen that. What does that mean exactly?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Oh no. I go out with some *ty routes all the time. But y'all may be right also. It's only been a few years. Honestly though the veterans I see seem to have the same attitude I do. Take it all with a grain of salt. Stop trying to run UPS. You know what you are getting into when you sign up so it's all in your attitude.
Dude, you’re 100% right the way I perceive your work ethic. This job really is pretty awesome. It just depends on personal experiences. If you’ve worked here since you were 18 then yeah, of course you’re gonna be a whiny bitch about everything. But if you’ve actually had actual crap jobs where everything you do is analyzed, paired with crap pay, no benefits, 1 week of vacation like myself have had, then this job is great. Not perfect, but pretty good. You seem to have a good mindset about what this job is. Just keep doing your thing and don’t let the old timers change your attitude.

Zowert

100% agree. In this line of work, all is well until it isn't. It takes one injury to lose all of the beautiful things mentioned by the OP. Pay, awesome. Benefits, solid. Pension, stable. HOWEVER, it is unwise for an otherwise unskilled RPCD, 22.4, Air Driver, etc to not have another stream of income or learn another skill. Take CDL classes, weekend classes to get a trade, online school, start a business, whatever you can do to provide for you and yours in the event of layoffs, a strike, or career ending injury.
Oh you read my mind. Before UPS I was a public school teacher (10th/11th grade World & US History). After four years of that I came to the realization that my income just wouldn’t sustain a comfortable lifestyle. So I started looking into a career change.

The summer before my fifth year I was at a staff meeting when I overheard a couple of my colleagues talking about UPS. I was eavesdropping a bit and heard; “The UPS guy didn’t show up with my new laptop until nine o’clock at night, etc. etc.. I kinda felt bad he was out so late.” — then — “Oh don’t feel bad for those guys they’re making over twice what we do with far better benefits.”

At first I didn’t believe that, I figured a UPS driver was making around the same we did but curiosity got the best of me. I was a little PO’d when I found out a top rate driver can make six figures a year with benefits and they didn’t have to accumulate a considerable amount of student loan debt to get it.

I managed to befriend the UPS driver that delivered to the school I worked at. I’m not sure how he did it but he got HR to call me and bring me in off the street. Passed the road test, went through training and qualified my thirty. A few months later I was covering his route, delivering to the school that once employed me, that was a little awkward.

Anyway, I’m a bid driver now on a somewhat decent route and I honestly wouldn’t have it any other way. During my first year at UPS there wasn’t a lot of work for me (outside of peak season) but luckily I was able to tutor and even fill in as a substitute at my local school district to make ends meet. My Bachelor’s degree has already been a good back up so I try to encourage other drivers to learn some kind of skill or get a CDL if they’re not motivated enough to continue their education.

You are absolutely right, we all need something to fall back on.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive

some of these UPS lifers have no idea how much they benefit from collective bargaining. There are lots of people doing similar jobs and even harder jobs for far less money.