I made Walmart mad

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Target is another store that has 2 or 3 docks with their own rigs always parked there....and they always seem to have nda packages also.

Lack of dock and receiving space is a common problem at large malls and chain stores.

The people who design these stores focus almost exclusively on the layout of the shopping area and the customer parking. Shipping/receiving is usually little more than an afterthought. Merchandise on shelves generates revenue; dock space and inventory storage doesnt. They could care less about overcrowded receiving areas and unreasonable delays for delivery drivers as long as the customers can easily park and go inside a nice, pretty, spacious store to spend money.

Swinging routes with business until I got my own route that was all retail taught me this.

First as you mentioned management was running the dock. And like a certain shipping company the vast majority can talk about how to run a operation but fail in the application of said theory. Because of that you need to handle them with kid gloves. I'm not saying kiss ass,in appearance sure but not actual, but use lots of airs, maams, please and thank you's. You need to bait them into doing what you want them to do and make it look like you are doing them. Favor. Be firm yet polite. " I sympathize with your situation. Here's what I can do to help you."
Option 1 You can bring the boxes in the side door, pointing out its what the regulars do, stack them neatly so they can get a count and you a sig and be out of their hair.
Option 2 they get three attempts. This is one. The next 2 days are the others and then they go back.
Option 3 You can refuse them and back they go.
Explain that this is their delivery window. Other businesses have theirs. You can't alter the entire operation for one stop. If they get pissy , maintain composure and ask which option they would like. If they get pissyer tell them you are at the limits of your authority and they will have to call the number you provide to go further.
What you do not do however is try and be cock of the chicken coup. Men will take that as a challenge and women will be threatened and you will lose both times.

Buck Fifty

Should have definitely made a quick phone call to your supervisor. This puts all the responsibility on them, where it should be , since they put you in this situation with the dispatch. As for facing the consequences, if there are any, be apologetic and guarantee them that you will leave the managing to them for now on when these occasions arise. I guarantee, they will tell you what you should have done ( course they will have hindsight on their side). Follow by agreeing with them and tell them you can see why they have their supervision position.( make it as sincere as possible.) As a steward, I always ask my management team, out of the 50 drivers we have, how many would make it as a manager. It kind of puts things in perspective . Always, always, always put the responsibility on them. Good Luck and dont go in without a steward. I smell warning letter !!!

kingOFchester

In the past, I have used the refused and asked for a name. 9 times out of 10, they changed their mind and took the packages. It is that 1 time out of 10 that screwed me and got me in the office.

Now, I would of sheeted as NR1. Put in trailer and sent message to office asking what to do. No calling. Let them decide what I should do. NR1 can not be classified as falsifying records. Closed could be considered falsifying (even though us drivers feel other wise). Perhaps the center would of sent another driver that could retrieve the packages and reattempt before the 1pm close. Or they may have sent you back. But it would of put the ball in their park and kept you out of the fire.....a little out the fire anyway.

Good luck today!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I would haves found a diplomatic way to eventually get rid of the pkgs. If the driver comes in all flustered and aggravated he loses all sympathy from the consignee. Like Dalton says in the movie Road House. "Be nice".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

bs how many of you would have waited 45 min .

There is no way that I would have waited for 45 minutes. There is no way that I would have sheeted them as CLO. There is also no way that I would have not made the delivery sometime during the day.

I have to think the OP knew he was off the following day and decided to friend the cover driver.

packageguy

I go to Walmart to deliver the receivers are out to lunch and the mangers are working the back , I called out ups 3 times before anybody would even turn around to me ( they are 10' away)

One of the mangers turn around and tells me I would have to wait 30 to 45 min before I could back up to the dock ( I got a hour before my air is late) I tell her I can't wait and would you like me to bring it tomorrow

Yoooouuuuu in sssssoooooo muchhhhhh troubleeeeee.

She tells me I need to wait because they don't have room and still have a trailer in front of me to do , so I respond so you want me to bring it back tomorrow , she gets pissed throws her hands up and tells me do what you want , so I leave and sheet them up as close

So am I wrong for doing that , because I had today off and they went off on the cover driver that they want to file a complaint against me

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I would have delivered all my air. Once that time constraint was done, I would have went to wal mart, no matter how your route is set up. If they then told me I had to wait, I would have _"diaded" and said " what should I do" I cant deliver other areas as I cant get to it because of this bulk. Wal mart people work hard too, and for a whole lot less money. I can understand their frustration, and they do not understand yours when they make a third of what we do.
But I do understand yours, Im just saying, let dispatch know, let them make the call. Its out of your hands at that point. Whatever they tell you to do is golden. Take a pic of the diad message with the phone you dont use for business to cya.

OldManAllowance

Malls are the worst for receiving. Back corridors filled with trash, many with 90 degree turns, tough to get an 8 foot cart, stacked up to the lights around. Back doors not marked. No door bells, just bang on the door, hopefully someone in the back will answer. Certainly, the architechs care little how product gets into the stores. A more efficient recieving area might help the store with cost..but who ever gave a damn about the delivery grunt.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Malls are the worst for receiving. Back corridors filled with trash, many with 90 degree turns, tough to get an 8 foot cart, stacked up to the lights around. Back doors not marked. No door bells, just bang on the door, hopefully someone in the back will answer. Certainly, the architechs care little how product gets into the stores. A more efficient recieving area might help the store with cost..but who ever gave a damn about the delivery grunt.

True dat. When I delivered to the mall I would delivery right in thru the store fronts. A few months in I was asked by a few managers why I didn't deliver to the back doors in the corridors like the old driver used to. I told them, "The first week I started to deliver here no one would answer the door. Just like you, I also have a job to do and waiting 10 minutes at each place is not very efficient. So from that point on I've delivered right in the front door and you were quick to stop folding shirts and hanging pants (story changes per store) to assist me in my delivery and get me on my way." Never had a problem after that.

worldwide

Walmart Awards 2011 Transportation Carrier of the Year Honors

“Walmart Transportation appreciates these carrier partners who have gone above and beyond to provide outstanding service over the past year,” said Rob Kusiciel, vice president of inbound transportation and global logistics.

Winner for small parcel service - FedEx

Walmart Awards Transportation Carrier of the Year Honors | 2012-01-12 | World Trade 100

The last time UPS won this award from Walmart was 5 years ago...

jaker

trolling
Dang let me get home and put some food in me

And no I didn't do it to screw the cover driver , I called later in the day and ask for it off and I got it after all the crap I didn't want to see that place the next day

Well I don't know what to say about today nothing happen , nobody call me or came out to see me

I guess I am in limbo for the time being