I made Walmart mad

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Wow by the lack of comments after my post , I think you guys where hoping I get in trouble

I'm glad you didnt get in trouble. You were faced with a difficult situation and you handled it in what was you felt was the best possible way. From the way you described your dispatch it doesnt sound like your "management" team would have been able to make any sort of rational decision, so you were pretty much on your own. Incompetent WalMart management+ incompetent UPS management= driver out there in the real world with 200 cubic feet of packages that he needs to get rid of and cant. Something had to give.

jaker

trolling
So are you going to do it the same way the next time that manager in in charge of receiving?

No way jose , sometimes you really have to have something like this to happen so you can learn from it and be able to take a step back from some situations

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Walmart's suck. Hopefully in 11 days, I'll never have to deal with one again. I definitely would have called the center first, though. We are required to make at least one attempt daily (but no more than that), so if asked to return, then you could have refused. If directed to return, you'd have no choice.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That's because NR1 is the wrong exception code to be used in this situation. The correct way to sheet those packages would have been as refused.

At no point did the Walmart managers tell the driver that they want to refuse the packages. Having all the packages sent back would not have been pretty.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Nice thing with NR1, dont need to scan a deliver note, and it is pretty accurate with the situation.

Except that it's a disposition for call tags only (at least here). If you sheet delivery pkgs in my building as NR1, they show as service failures.

Really? How do you sheet the second package of a 2 package COD shipment that does not have the COD tag? No money? Doesn't have a COD tag.

soberups

That's because NR1 is the wrong exception code to be used in this situation. The correct way to sheet those packages would have been as refused.

At no point did the Walmart managers tell the driver that they want to refuse the packages. Having all the packages sent back would not have been pretty.

They would not sign for the packages and they would not allow him to unload them. Sounds "refused" to me....

menotyou

bella amicizia
So you'd RTS them? Why? Make you feel good to "teach them a lesson"?

You know they don't want to refuse them.
I shuttled a truck with over 300 packages just for Leray Walmart before peak a few years ago. The driver was just backing up to the door, so I hopped in to help unload. the clerk had a bee in her bonnet. The exact details have faded, but it was something like she just hated the driver. He could be curt, but was generally a nice guy. She refused, not only his load, but my truck , as well. Needless to say, the fan was covered in poop.
Thank God she actually boasted she refused them. It was over 600 packages the next day. Thanks for the OT, sweety!

jaker

trolling

I talked to the receivers yesterday and ask what happen , all they can say was it was heii in the back packages everywhere not put away just a mess , paper work screwed up

Also found out they turned away the milk man to and that was the guy who was still in front of me to unload

undies

The Wal Mart around here has one receiver...and they go on lunch between 10-11. I have been sheeting their NDA as closed and going back to deliver everything at 11. I was hesitant at first, but the other drivers who run the route told me it's how we do. Generally, every Wal Mart I've delivered to has some odd policy when it comes to receiving.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Here is your simple answer. First, things first, finish your air. Don't give UPS a reason to fire you. Second, and this is the most important part. CALL YOUR CENTER!! The quickest way to get in trouble with this company is to use your brain. Don't do it. From tiny to huge, let management make every decision. Problem with a customer--like yours--call center. Misrouted NDA on your truck? Call center. Dog chasing you? Call center. Wondering if you should DR a package here or there? Call center. Call center. Call center.

Stop banging your head against the wall. I see this with so many drivers today. Understand that common sense and logic are not a part of your job. In fact, it can get you fired. No, that's not a joke. Ask anybody here who has at least 15 or 20 years seniority. I'm surprised you haven't been told this by a member of management before. Usually when something goes wrong and you try to do the best you can to amend a situation. Afterwards, this is when they will tell you. "We make the decisions."

I've been told that a few times. The last time I was told that, I took it to heart. I now drive every member of management nuts with my calls and messages. Do I really need to? No, most of the time I don't. But it the 100% sure-fire way to avoid trouble. Let their stupid decisions sink the ship. Because they will. The end result is that you can always shake your head, and say, "Hey, glad that wasn't my call."

Embrace the idea that you are a monkey with a number and a name tag. You will make a lot of money here if you do. UPS will say they want you to make your own decisions. Until they don't. Save yourself the trouble and let them make all executive decisions.

soberups

They would not sign for the packages and they would not allow him to unload them. Sounds "refused" to me....

If they dont want to refuse them, they will sign for them and allow them to be unloaded.

If they refuse to sign for them and refuse to allow them to be unloaded, then I will respect their wishes by sheeting the packages as refused and sending them back.

Its a win/ win. UPS gets the revenue twice, the driver can service his other customers without delay, and the consignee is not burdened with packages that they have no time or room for. They are certainly free to re-order those packages at such time as it might be more convenient for them to receive them.

Last edited:

brown_trousers

It seems to me (from my limited experience here) that UPS values some customers over others. I wouldn't want to be the driver responsible for angering a customer that UPS corporate is willing to bend over backwards for.

The best and easiest solution would be to just call the center and ask how to proceed. Then the liability for that decision falls on management. CYA!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Walmart doesn't like doing business with unionized companies, especially those that employ Teamsters. The IBT tried to organize their drivers and failed. Our local Walmart fired all their butchers when they tried to join a butchers union, thats when they started packaging their meat offsite. I don't think that Walmart accepts Teamster's Insurance either, I know they wouldn't at one time. Thats why they rather have Fedex delivering to them, and I don't spend my money there.

soberups

Part of the cost of running a retail store is the receiving, processing, storing and distribution of inventory within the store.

In order to do this properly, you need (a) adequate dock and storage space and (b) an adequate number of trained employees to handle the freight that is being received.

WalMart is simply trying to shift this cost back onto the various trucking companies by intentionally understaffing a receiving area that is totally inadequate in size and storage capability. Instead of having a receiving area that is open until 4:00 or 5:00 with adequate numbers of available docks and employees to process the deliveries....they have a ridiculously short "window" of time in which they will deign to receive deliveries (like from 8:00 to 1:00), and then require the drivers to wait in line for the "privelege" of using the only available dock.

This allows them to understaff the receiving operation, because the burden is being shifted back onto the delivery drivers to wait until help and dock space become available.