I need advice on 401K

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Interesting no one talks about the age of the OP. We know he's 18-20 away from his projected retirement, which means 18-20 years of growth. I'd personally think about doing less than max if you can't afford it and go the Roth401K route. Considering the majority of what's in your 401k will be growth, you'd already have a defined taxation at this point, the future, who knows. You'll also have to remember that any pension you receive will be taxable and adding any pretax 401k withdrawals will add onto that amount, increasing your tax bracket.

If you are worried about the increase in taxes you'd pay vs the amount you put it, just take what you currently do pretax and multiple your tax bracket into it, (10,000.00 * .25 = 2500.00). Now take the remainder 7500.00 and divide that by your yearly wage (example 7,500.00 ~ 50,000.00 = .15 ). So set your 401kRoth at 15% and you'll keep the same paycheck size as if you would have gone 25% pretax. The benifit of doing this will allow you have 100% tax free growth instead of oweing the government any money when you leave. If there's one thing we can all agree on, it's not oweing the government is a good thing.

Last edited:

Damondogg

If I contribute %3 after tax but I want to jump to 5%, so would have more take home pay with contributing before or after taxes?

Damondogg

I've had my 401K for about 10 years, just stayed at 5% after taxes for the majority of time & briefly 8% but now I've dropped down to just 3% after taxes. Bright horizon funds. Should I change my contributions to before taxes instead of after taxes? The reasoning that I've lowered my percentage is for more take home pay. Greedy. LOL
No but seriously I could use some advice please. S&P 500 investment a better situation then the bright horizon funds?

I've had my 401K for about 10 years, just stayed at 5% after taxes for the majority of time & briefly 8% but now I've dropped down to just 3% after taxes. Bright horizon funds. Should I change my contributions to before taxes instead of after taxes? The reasoning that I've lowered my percentage is for more take home pay. Greedy. LOL
No but seriously I could use some advice please. S&P 500 investment a better situation then the bright horizon funds?
Not sure if you are going to get great investment advice on here. Just save as much as you can.

After tax, do you mean Roth?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So as far as either before taxes or after taxes at 5%? Which is better long term?
You're asking Roth or regular 401k no one can be 100% certain.

5% is also a very low amount to be putting away. 10% is what I would suggest as a bare min. Gonna give you some tough love now but you have two choices hire a financial advisor or start doing all the research you possibly can on retirement. Your base knowledge seems to be lacking in this department big time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

5% is also a very low amount to be putting away. 10% is what I would suggest as a bare min. Gonna give you some tough love now but you have two choices hire a financial advisor or start doing all the research you possibly can on retirement. Your base knowledge seems to be lacking in this department big time.

I was going to suggest 10% but the OP is already having a hard time paying his bills and contributing 3%.

He also doesn't have the funds nor does he need to hire a financial adviser. He should be able to learn the basics through the tutorial on our 401k website.

Damondogg

I'm meaning my regular 401K

Damondogg

If you're putting money in a regular 401k there is zero reason to put it in after tax.

Guess I seem like an idiot on here, but I appreciate your help & advice. I'm still young at 40, with 21 years service within the company, I'd go up to 10% man but I don't want much more deducted from my paycheck ya know.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Then you have to find a way to put at least 10% away. Doing this pretax will be much less of a hit to your take home pay than post tax.

Our pensions are not in great shape for the most part nationwide and SS is not either. Make some sacrifices now and you will come back and thank us all in 15-20 years.