I think our Preloaders are being unfairly worked, looking for some guidance

Hi there!

I have a few concerns/questions about things going on in the facility where I work, and if they're acceptable or not. But first, some information!

I work in early morning Preload in Canada, and haven't been with UPS too long, started in June 2016. When I started I was told I would get a minimum of 25 hours a week, making start time around 3:15am +/- 15 minutes. Volume would be between 6,500 - 9,000 pieces. Now, we are running closer to 7,300 - 9,000 starting at 4:15am +/- 15 minutes, and getting maybe 18 - 20 hours a week. I understand there is a certain PPH we need to hit, however, our facility is still using the older crayon and charts method with a belt. We are still expected to keep with the rest of Canada's PPH, which puts the flow rate around 2,000 - 2,800 packages an hour because of our later start times. It forces us to stack and not be able to maintain proper egress. Even with that flow rate, we are still there at, and past, driver PCM.

It is a common occurrence at this facility for Preload Sups to load package cars, either because a Preloader has called in sick, or a Sup has deemed that a Preloader "needs help"; they will also split the belt and cart up the blow-bys from the end of the belt throughout the day. Sups have also been known to pull Preloaders from their cars to help with the retain for the first hour so, forcing their neighbour to deal with the additional cars. The unload Sup is not much better, they're often found emptying bags or working in the trailers, so unload can work at finger-blistering speed. We used to have a roamer who covered these things, but they were recently promoted to supervisor unbeknownst to essentially everyone until the PCM after the fact.

Lots of this doesn't seem exactly right to me, but I could be 100% wrong as I'm newer to the UPS family and the communication at this facility isn't the best. I understand being in Canada somethings might be, and are, different, but a lot of this feels like management is completely walking over us so they get their gold star at the end of the day.

So, what I'm wondering is:

Are there any guidelines/rules for determining the flow rate/unload speed, or is it however many packages an hour they deem necessary?

Should Preload still be there at/past driver PCM?

How much/little of the above should the Sups be doing?

Are there any courses of action I should be taking at this time?

Thank you for your input! :happy2:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There is a system at this company and you need to start learning how to play the game....btw how are Canadians dealing with the new US president????

There is a system at this company and you need to start learning how to play the game....btw how are Canadians dealing with the new US president????

I've never been one for "office politics", any pointers in this case?

Lots of facepalming, I believe. But, that could be an alternative fact.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Lots of politics in this game especially with the union involved in the mix...walk softly and carry a big stick... Do your job the best you can with that stick by your side... Get some punk up in your business "just because " take that stick and whack em'in the nuts as a warning shot, then if they still have an issue stick to throat routine works quite nicely...

Lots of politics in this game especially with the union involved in the mix...walk softly and carry a big stick... Do your job the best you can with that stick by your side... Get some punk up in your business "just because " take that stick and whack em'in the nuts as a warning shot, then if they still have an issue stick to throat routine works quite nicely...

And if they continue "just because" then what? Whack harder? I ask because we have this one sup who is excellent at deciding they need to be in everyone's business. The running joke is: I'mma let you load that, but, [name of sup] is the best preloader of all time.

43rdst_upser804

Thats the life of a preloader during "slow season " from February till about may they push the start time to 4am push loads thru . Follow ups guidelines for safety don't kills yourself trying to keep up with work just stop the belt .if you do stack packages along one side of the inside of truck . No supervisor should touch packages unless on lot , bathroom break or late/ call out . Notify shop steward for greviance .... Read contract so you won't get violated

Thats the life of a preloader during "slow season " from February till about may they push the start time to 4am push loads thru . Follow ups guidelines for safety don't kills yourself trying to keep up with work just stop the belt .if you do stack packages along one side of the inside of truck . No supervisor should touch packages unless on lot , bathroom break or late/ call out . Notify shop steward for greviance .... Read contract so you won't get violated

but why push so hard with increased volume, wouldn't that just lead to more errors?

best part about belt stops is next day during PCM when we are told to not stop the belt. Ahh, good times.

43rdst_upser804

Ups only try save money on labor with at move . You have every right to stop belt make sure your doing all guidelines when you do they'll try to bring in the office For anything like not writing on box etc you want to be covered when it's shop steward tiMe don't be late either they all watch over you for a while

Ups only try save money on labor with at move . You have every right to stop belt make sure your doing all guidelines when you do they'll try to bring in the office For anything like not writing on box etc you want to be covered when it's shop steward tiMe don't be late either they all watch over you for a while

This all seems like a giant headache for everyone involved, ugh.

Normal at my center down here in the states. We dont want to touch boxes but often times have to as center mgmt keeps reducing hours and expenses/staffing. Id wager the majority of your sups are sick of the bs so I'd say file. If enough of you guys file, senior leadership will be forced to recalculate their staffing needs.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Normal at my center down here in the states. We dont want to touch boxes but often times have to as center mgmt keeps reducing hours and expenses/staffing. Id wager the majority of your sups are sick of the bs so I'd say file. If enough of you guys file, senior leadership will be forced to recalculate their staffing needs.
Ups has always never seen " the big picture", when it comes to staffing... Never.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Are there any guidelines/rules for determining the flow rate/unload speed, or is it however many packages an hour they deem necessary?

No guidelines except for a fair days work for a fair days pay. Not everybody can load or unload at the same rate.

As long as you're not moving exceptionally slower than everyone else, not much they can do.

Should Preload still be there at/past driver PCM?

There's two different points of view on this.

One side thinks the preloaders have the right to finish their work even though the drivers are already started.

The other side thinks that FT trumps PT every time and that they can send the preloaders home as soon as the drivers start.

Only one way to find out how it is handled in your area. Ask your Steward or BA.

Are there any courses of action I should be taking at this time?

File a grievance for the time the sups are working.

It it is constant, they may have to hire a few more people.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One side thinks the preloaders have the right to finish their work even though the drivers are already started.

The other side thinks that FT trumps PT every time and that they can send the preloaders home as soon as the drivers start.

Assuming the preloaders have worked their guarantee they are kicked off the belt right after driver start time.

Thank you for your reply! That seems exactly what's happening, reduce our hours and force the sups to help. Definitely going to file!

Wouldn't starting preload slightly earlier generally avoid this?

I can understand the FT over PT, but wouldn't the drivers then be functioning as preload?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Wouldn't starting preload slightly earlier generally avoid this?

Not necessarily. It depends on when the trailers get there. Some places, if they start the preload earlier, will run out of volume some time during the morning.

I can understand the FT over PT, but wouldn't the drivers then be functioning as preload?

That is an argument that you will not win. And here's why.

The drivers have already started. UPS will never let them just stand around and do nothing on the clock. And these drivers can get their cars wrapped up and leave far quicker than you can that late into the morning.

But you may win a grievance to be able to stay on the clock loading, side by side with the drivers, until your work is done.