If UPS Did Offer a Buyout....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I refuse to let my finances dictate my retirement date.

My projected retirement date is 7/1/2018. I fully intend to be in a financial position such that I will not have to work past that date.

When my kids were going through college I had 5-10 years left to go. I knew that I could help them and still have enough time to rebuild the balance in my 401k. If they were going through college and I had less than 5 years to go I would not have been so eager to help as it would have left me in a lesser financial position to start my retirement. Working beyond that date is simply not an option for me.

My projected retirement date is 7/1/2018. I fully intend to be in a financial position such that I will not have to work past that date.

When my kids were going through college I had 5-10 years left to go. I knew that I could help them and still have enough time to rebuild the balance in my 401k. If they were going through college and I had less than 5 years to go I would not have been so eager to help as it would have left me in a lesser financial position to start my retirement. Working beyond that date is simply not an option for me.
I completely understand how you feel. Everybody who put their time in wants to retire and get out of here. Just don't jump ship too fast. You never know what pension cuts that are coming or how much they are going to increase future healthcare.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I completely understand how you feel. Everybody who put their time in wants to retire and get out of here. Just don't jump ship too fast. You never know what pension cuts that are coming or how much they are going to increase future healthcare.

While my pension will be a major part of my retirement income, my other investments will soften the blow if pension cuts do become a reality.

I love my kids and would do most anything to help them but working an extra 5 years just to make sure they don't have student loan debt is simply not an option (for me).

While my pension will be a major part of my retirement income, my other investments will soften the blow if pension cuts do become a reality.

I love my kids and would do most anything to help them but working an extra 5 years just to make sure they don't have student loan debt is simply not an option (for me).
I truly hope your plan works out for you.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If UPS was to offer a buyout, what $ amount would pesuade you to make this your last week? Would it be a flat amount, or a specific $ amount for each year on the payroll?

I will nominate this thread, As the "fantasy" thread of the year.

Don't get sucked in.... by the fallacy.

Go buy a lottery ticket.

-Bug-

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
There's a guy in my building still working and is paying for his grandkids college.[/QUOTE)

I feel the opposite. I feel if they want to skip classes, drink, or just sleep in. It won't be on my dime. My oldest got 4.0 in Jr college. We gave some. Then when she went to get her bachelors. She needed to party instead. So now she has some loan to take care of. Not me. I was never entitled. Neither will my kids. It's how they learn responsibility. Sending a ck every month. Thinking "I wish I didn't do this "

What'dyabringmetoday???

It would be interesting to get an update in ten or fifteen years on how all of your retirement plans work out. Personally, where I am, I fear that many will be in for a rude awakening. It is not a matter of if the pension runs out of money, it is a question of when. Of course, everyone deserves to retire at forty-eight years old. Especially from the hardest job in the world.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As I have said before, I truly hope your plans work out, differences aside, but I don't think you really are grasping what the future holds. Good luck though.

I would be lying if I said that the pension was not going to my primary source of retirement income. I do have my 401k, SS and my condo will be paid off, but losing any portion of $4.4K/month would put a damper on my retirement plans.

Are the rumors about JQL and the "n" word true?