If UPS was a starting small company, could it survive?

P-man on UPS paper you can say service is better today but UPS HAS THOUSANDS OF STOPS MISSED EVERYDAY BECAUSE OF MISLOADS AND BAD PAL LABELS. 10 YEARS AGO MISSED STOPS WERE UNHEARD OF BUT NOW ITS JUST PART OF THE NEW UPS. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH DRIVERS ON THE ROAD TO PROVIDE GOOD SERVICE. NOT LONG AGO A CUSTOMER COULD ACTUALLY RELY ON A GROUND DELIVERY BEING MADE IN A REASONABLE AND CONSISITENT TIME WINDOW TO RUN THEIR BUSINESS. THOSE DAYS ARE GONE. WE ALL KNOW FIRST HAND AS DRIVERS. SO NO NEED TO SPIN THE TOPIC OF BAD SERVICE IN 2009.

10 years ago I was missing a couple buildings a day. About 60 stops 200 pcs.

purplesky

Here is a scary thought...
If UPS looses more market share, That opens the door for the US Postal Service to make a comeback.
Just look at their new package campaign..."if it fits, It ships".
Either that or FedEx takes over.

hshi

I wouldnt worry about the Post Office. Do you really think that the Post Office can turn a profit getting into the package delivery side. THEY HAVE BEEN LOSING BILLIONS FOR YEARS NOW. THE GOVERMENT JUST DOESNT HAVE THE MONEY ANYMORE TO SUBSIDIZE THE POST OFFICE. THE PARTY IS OVER. UPS right now moves alot of packages for the Post Office.

Dustyroads

PMan, service may be at an all time high, by the measurements that we choose to employ. It's difficult to make an accurate comparison, because before the days of barcoding, it was much more difficult for us to measure our time in transit numbers.

However, service is far more than time in transit. We have lost many accounts to the competition for service issues that had nothing to do with packages arriving late. In fact, I would guess that the vast majority of business we have lost to FedEx due to service issues had nothing to do with time in transit. That's just my guess, but I would bet a dollar on it.

pretzel_man

P-man on UPS paper you can say service is better today but UPS HAS THOUSANDS OF STOPS MISSED EVERYDAY BECAUSE OF MISLOADS AND BAD PAL LABELS. 10 YEARS AGO MISSED STOPS WERE UNHEARD OF BUT NOW ITS JUST PART OF THE NEW UPS. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH DRIVERS ON THE ROAD TO PROVIDE GOOD SERVICE. NOT LONG AGO A CUSTOMER COULD ACTUALLY RELY ON A GROUND DELIVERY BEING MADE IN A REASONABLE AND CONSISITENT TIME WINDOW TO RUN THEIR BUSINESS. THOSE DAYS ARE GONE. WE ALL KNOW FIRST HAND AS DRIVERS. SO NO NEED TO SPIN THE TOPIC OF BAD SERVICE IN 2009.

SEAS checks every single package. If its late, SEAS catches it.

Remember, GSR's are way down over the last few years.

P-Man

pretzel_man

PMan, service may be at an all time high, by the measurements that we choose to employ. It's difficult to make an accurate comparison, because before the days of barcoding, it was much more difficult for us to measure our time in transit numbers.

However, service is far more than time in transit. We have lost many accounts to the competition for service issues that had nothing to do with packages arriving late. In fact, I would guess that the vast majority of business we have lost to FedEx due to service issues had nothing to do with time in transit. That's just my guess, but I would bet a dollar on it.

Dusty,

That's fair, and I forgot to add that to my original post.

Our service measures very high (on time performance).

On the other hand, package condition remains an issue with customers. They also do not like how we deal with them when there is a problem (service recovery).

I was originally responding only to on time performance. By all measures, that is greatly improved. External measures also show that.

P-Man

blue efficacy

So, after mess up upon mess up this week at work I was curious about what everyone thinks about this? If we were to start the company from scratch today, with the way things are currently being managed and our customer service capabilities, would UPS survive without it's prolonged reputation to back it up?

I don't think it would. I think it's lost touch with what it was and has turned into a cash cow, money machine. I realize it's a business but after seeing 'no exceptions to this rule' to small accounts and then doing the complete opposite to larger accounts, I can only deem that eventually another company could compete with it by offering GOOD customer service to the small accounts which would make the larger accounts curious about what the other company has to offer to get all the little guys going to them. After all, if you combine multiple small companies, wouldn't they bring in the same intake as a big company?

If it also started out today, it would also be likely everyone would be making less. Would anyone actually take this job for under $20 as a driver knowing what it entails? Knowing the stress it causes both at work and in the home environment from being home late 5 nights a week?

I also look at all the money wasting going on in the company by our management personnel. Is it because they're overworked and darn tired, incompetent or both? How much money does it cost the company to fire a driver over something stupid (lets say not punching in break to pee). then they have to hire a new driver (and train him) after firing the other driver for peeing. They then would go through the grievance process only to have it overturned AND the driver receive all back pay. I can only assume, eventually it would collapse into bankruptcy from sheer incompetence, poor customer care and poor spending habits...Also from some of my bad grammar ;)
If UPS fired every driver and offered the scabs $17 an hour, people would be lined up for blocks hoping to get a job.

purplesky

SEAS checks every single package. If its late, SEAS catches it.

Remember, GSR's are way down over the last few years.

P-Man

What do you mean catches it? We have thousands of service failures each day that are recorded within the UPS system as a bad add or closed that appear to the customer as normal. Anotherwards we are hiding these service failures behind the numbers. It is very frustating because by now the PAL system should work better. Alot of misload commercial stops are being recorded as closed because there are no shuttle cars to help make service.

pretzel_man

What do you mean catches it? We have thousands of service failures each day that are recorded within the UPS system as a bad add or closed that appear to the customer as normal. Anotherwards we are hiding these service failures behind the numbers. It is very frustating because by now the PAL system should work better. Alot of misload commercial stops are being recorded as closed because there are no shuttle cars to help make service.

There are two measurements. One of them called the "no excuses" measurement counts things like bad address, closed, not in, etc. as a service failure. This is the measurement that counts. Its the one in the balanced scorecard.

The second measurement takes out things like weather, bad addresses, etc.

Both measurement show as being an all time high.

BTW, hub missorts are about 1 per 2000. That's a huge improvement.

P-Man

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Bottom line here is the only thing we have to offer is service, it is not hard to see that the philosiphy of the company has gone way away from "What can Brown Do For You" more like what can you do for brown now days!!

Only care is numbers, the problem is we are losing one after another of our customers because some fool infront of aa computer screen figured out a better way to make the numbers look good!! Usually someone that has never driven or been in operationd whatsoever!

My opinion, NOT A CHANCE would this current management style survive if it was starting new from day one!!!

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
When it comes to standard ground, our worries should be price. We have to be able to meet or beat FedEx Ground's prices.

We can keep up the dog and pony show by offering new services and new promises that we will find increasingly hard to keep.

Or we can keep it simple and give the people what they want.

People want their packages sent to them cheap, fast, and unbroken. Give that to them and you will make most of them happy.