If you could change only one thing at UPS what would it be ?

Speedy Cerviche

I just want my summer evenings. I'll work as much as they need me to during the lead up to peak season and during peak. And I'll suffer with a smile on my face while they monkey with numbers in the new year, but while the weather is nice getting off an hour earlier is worth more than the extra overtime pay. Way more.

My last two pay days have been better than my peak pay. Just lovely.

PigSkin

Pigskin, are you a driver? Do you deal with the general population in giving them their boxes? Yes, they care. It's why driver followups, concerns, commendation calls, and tipping occur. Not to mention our "customers" are not the general population, but the big money companies that ship to them, and they do care how well we handle their logistics.

For better or worse, the general public does bite their nails and does contemplate suicide (or comparable action) if their boxes do not arrive on time. I've taken many phone calls from irate customers to know this.

As an insider, your contact with customers is minimal; trust, though, that they are rabid about their packages. Don't take my word for it, though, ask any driver.

edit: Or anyone who covers the package room/pickups, as it were.

With all due respect gentlemen: Meh

If you go by people complaining that's wrong. People will complain about anything, not talking about package delivery here, I mean ANYTHING and everything under the sun.

A guy I know just recently had his package arrive two days late. So much for working Sundays huh? Why would it be 2 days late??

The cons outweigh the pros by a wide margin. All you have to do is go by attendance.

Most people more or less just accept their packages whenever they arrive with no worries prior to delivery. They are not on pins and needles waiting for them to arrive. Most people are probably pleasantly surprised and/or forget that that they even ordered something.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I want the old "cloth" rain jackets back. Right now we have rain jackets that feel like garbage bags. Then we have the winter coats that are so thick your elbows get tired bending your arms in them. Something between the two like the old jackets we had would be nice.

govols019

You smell that?
Most people more or less just accept their packages whenever they arrive with no worries prior to delivery. They are not on pins and needles waiting for them to arrive. Most people are probably pleasantly surprised and/or forget that that they even ordered something.

I'd like to meet these people you speak of.

CAFAL

Nobody made you choose your job. This is UPS. Not the USPS. Notice the difference between which company is profitable?

rocket man

There is a simple cure for the 'not gatorade' bottles. Have a girl on the sort loading the area threaten to call OSHA and report hazardous waste in a brown truck rolling down the road. Works like a charm. ;)
HAZARDOUS ITS more like natural. last time i checked discarded iice tea water and gatorade are not hazmat.

OptimusPrime

I want the old "cloth" rain jackets back. Right now we have rain jackets that feel like garbage bags. Then we have the winter coats that are so thick your elbows get tired bending your arms in them. Something between the two like the old jackets we had would be nice.

Yeah, unless it's a cold rain, it is too hot to wear. Like wearing a garbage bag to cut weight or something. And the winter coats are laughable for guy with long arms. The cuffs on the sleeves rest about mid forearm, and that's with my arms in the power zone. Any reaching, and they immediately shoot up to my elbows. It's a XXL. Maybe if I turn it in now I will get my replacement right about November. Will tell them to give me the feeder driver size.

BigBeef42

My union reps fold their cards whenever u need their help most. I wouldn't change ups I would change the union. Wish they had guts and strength.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mack Grant

I would make IE subordinate to center-level management.

IE would have all its authority taken away, and act in an advisory capacity only. The final decision on how many cars to dispatch on a daily basis would be made by the center manager.

A center manager would have the authority to invalidate any timestudy that he deemed to be unfair, and would be able to order the IE to restudy the route. The IE would also be required to "run scratch" using safe methods on any route he studied.
This is a great suggestion. I have an older on road whose been around for awhile and if you push on subjects when no one else is around he'll begin to tell you all about how the company was founded and run by drivers/partners. Now it's just those %#&$@& "college geeks."

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Pimp my UPS truck. I want a 60 plasma, when I open my rear door, and throw in some spinners too!
images-28.jpeg

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Would be cool if they did away with the loaders. Have drivers come in early and load their own trucks. Run 2 or 3 shifts for drivers all depending on size of center. The drivers on the first shift would get off by 3 or 4 or earlier, time based on how long preload is ran, and the 2nd shift would run most all the airs and bulk, and do the pickups, obviously based on routes and area. Of course the later shift would get off later but the early shift would go to senior drivers or whoever bids on them. This way a lot of senior drivers who hate getting home so late could get home to actually have a life and spend time with their families, like a normal job. This would tighten up the loads as the drivers would set up their loads and not have as much sort time and hunting for packages, and do away with most of the misloads and crappyazz loads we deal with everyday. Still have a few part timers do the unload and loading of packages on conveyers or belts. Of course this will never happen, we all know, but the idea of it would be great. Theres too many factors that play into it such as labor cost and miscellaneous production costs, and the time frame of the whole operation. It wont remotely ever happen but dreams are dreams lol. A lot of drivers would probably trade coming in earlier for getting home earlier in a heartbeat. This isn't to say that there isn't any loaders who are actually good loaders and take pride in their work ethic(BB58) because there are, but you get what I mean.