If you were offered a new job with the same pay would you stay?

If offered a new job with the same pay would you stay at UPS

• Yes I would stay

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • No I would Leave

Votes: 48 62.3%
  • Maybe I'm Not Sure

Votes: 13 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trickpony1

The only thing that keeps me here is the retirement that I've worked for all these years. Even now the pension seems in peril.
It's really not the work.......it's the company people that can mess with you simply because they can and get away with it.

over9five

Staff member
I always tell people there is a reason they ask this question in the ERI:

They want you to know that you are stuck here.

Of course we'd leave if we could get the same money elsewhere.

A

Anonymous C

No, I would leave.
Not just because the grass is green on the other side of the fence, but because it could be better.

wornoutupser

The biggest reason that I went to work here was the 25 and out pension. I was hired in college-and I want to finish it.
That will no longer happen with the current C/S baloney that Hoffa has not protected.
If I could leave and finish my college-why would I stay? UPS in our building has NEVER dispatched a driver so that classes could be made. One driver was fired for threatening a supervisor that sent him back out for a 3rd time in a semester. The driver was dropped from the course and UPS knew that it would happen. PS The driver got his job back- but other than pure harrasment why did this happen? The driver from the other side of the loop was in early that day.

This is the garbage that my building goes through day after day and Big Brown can not understand why the union is such a dominating force in the area.
We are a bunch of Southern Rednecks, but we aint stupid!

I always tell people there is a reason they ask this question in the ERI:

They want you to know that you are stuck here.

Of course we'd leave if we could get the same money elsewhere.
Why are we stuck here?
I know what I think, but I am interested in what you think forces you and every other poor sap to stay.

over9five

Staff member
Speaking just for myself, I'm too old to change jobs. Too much time in. Of course, circumstances do change. I could get hurt, or my "parts" could wear out. I wouldn't work here if I was in pain every day.

For the uneducated, where else you gonna go and make the same money? (that was the original question). Where could you make 75K?

UnderPaidSucka

Speaking just for myself, I'm too old to change jobs. Too much time in. Of course, circumstances do change. I could get hurt, or my "parts" could wear out. I wouldn't work here if I was in pain every day.

For the uneducated, where else you gonna go and make the same money? (that was the original question). Where could you make 75K?

When does one his 75k a year? Is that with overtime?
I do my normal 40 hours plus 4-5 hours in OT a week.
Ill be making 36k my first year as a full time driver

I wouldnt stay If I was offered a new job with the same pay rate.
I would clean Jim Kellys toilets every day for that pay. Wait, thats my job description now. nvmd

Automaton

Well they're assuming we need to make 75K. I refuse to spend myself into such a position precisely because I know I can't make that much money elsewhere. I'm budgeting my expenditures based on what I think I could make elsewhere....just in case! :mellow:

dammor

Why are we stuck here?
I know what I think, but I am interested in what you think forces you and every other poor sap to stay.

None of us are forced to stay, but many of us may feel a bit stuck here. In my case having 25+ years in has something to do with that. I've been doing this job for over half of my life. I have 6 weeks vacation plus an option week. I have health insurance which is not as good as it use to be, but better than most. The insurance at this point in my life is as important as the pay. Especially considering the toll this job takes on a body after that many years. I'm not ready for the rocking chair yet, but I am ready to collect my pension and have the freedom to pursue something new. Many of us have interests that don't have anything to do with UPS. I don't consider myself to be a poor sap as you have stated. I think of myself as someone who has bled brown and worked my butt off for almost 27 years and will finish what I started. I'm too far in to give up now. So tell me, why do you think us poor saps feel stuck here?

DAMMOR,
I used the poor sap line because I was feeling a little guilty for complaining so much. I have seen a lot of things change in my 20 years at UPS, some I understand, some I agree with, some I disagree with. But in the end, I know that I am very well paid. I know my benefits are still very good. (I complain about them because I have to pay for them and the union folk don't. Do you know that if they had to pay too, I'd be more happy with mine. That's kind of a sad realization about myself). I have 5 weeks vacation, I only work 5 days a week. I am trusted with an enormous amount of responsiblity, I like that. I am proud of the job I do. It takes a lot out of me to do it well, but do you know that my wife says she respects me more for doing what it takes to do my job well, even though it drives her crazy that it takes so much of my time.
As you can see, I, like many; like you; have a lot invested in UPS. It would certainly be hard to walk away from all that I have accrued. I just hoped that people like you would reflect on what I asked, and realize, like I have, that we're not stuck, or saps. We are blessed with a lot and we don't want to give it up because it is good.

an extra hour a day is 10,000 a year. Thanks to EDD I just got a 20,000 raise!!!!!!! u going to pay some slacker 80,000 a year to drive around town and give people boxes. Only in America

8up

i have lottsa years here, and i've come to know good folks both on area and here at work, but corporately they don't see the forest for the trees, when it gets down to doin' the right thing by folks all down the line. almost everyone i've known works hard, has pride in what we do and all too often is told that that is not enuff and they need to give more so those big ties can play catch-up on their incomes with their contempories. look at the prospectus to see who is getting the biggest percent increases year to year. i'd be ready to jump that fence to get to that greener grass, but for most of us it would just be a desert once we got out there, becuase for what we know and do has gotten most of us where we are today, and that is on this side of the fence. so get over it, it ain't gonna happen, unless you got the winning lottery ticket this week, put that friendly smile back on your face and get back to work doin' what you do the best.
god bless,