If you're fired for Jury Duty paydo you collect Pension after 13-23 years of service.

Hello Drivers there were a bunch of guys in my old center who got fired for accepting Jury Duty Pay from a supervisor, while not having Jury Duty. In total it was about 14 plus I heard another 7 more were going to get hit again. My question is that those guys have between 13-and 23 years of working with UPS and now their fired after having 72 hr suspension. Do they get to keep there pension? What is UPS going to do? This happened in 43rd street Midtown West Center.

Re: If you're fired for Jury Duty paydo you collect Pension after 13-23 years of serv

Whatever happens please keep us updated. This sounds like some funny stuff.

island1fox

Re: If you're fired for Jury Duty paydo you collect Pension after 13-23 years of serv

Without more information -Sounds like a dishonest scam -whoever is involved -management or hourly --dishonesty --no 72 hour notice.

p228

Why did he give them jury pay? Did the supervisor get fired as well?

Why did he give them jury pay? Did the supervisor get fired as well?
Yes, the Supervisor resigned he asked the drivers, "If you want to go home, I will pay you Jury Duty pay". They fired the drivers who took the pay. Now will that affect their pension?

over9five

Staff member

Yes, the Supervisor resigned he asked the drivers, "If you want to go home, I will pay you Jury Duty pay". They fired the drivers who took the pay. Now will that affect their pension?

What kind of stupid drivers you got there? They all deserve to be fired. Honestly, how stupid can they be????

Both, in my opinion were in the red. Who to involve at fault, personally I don't know. Maybe Management. All I really want to know is what are you're opinions on this matter and are they going to have their pensions?

TUT

My opinion is the Manager should have been fired and that be it. When you lose chain of command a lot of new gray area rules creep in. Since the manager directed people under him to do something wrong, the burden should be on the manager. If he didn't know and the employee's were doing something wrong, you can them instead. Why I say this is day in and day out we work with our managers, if we start questioning everything they ask, then less gets done and the chain of command is failing, the structure is weak. IMO the onus is on the manager here, he bamboozled those underneath him. But when you are at a company that wants to rid employees for any reason, you get this. UPS upper-management most likely won this day.

Ibt804Hammer

center manager claims he didn't know what was going on but the again, every time some **** hits the fan, they never do. There is more info in this story that we don't know about. When we legally go on jury duty, a form from the state/county has to be turned in to the manager for verification. Suit **** is the only person from the mgmt team I hear does not work there anymore. I think the center manager should follow. If the drivers were in on it, them too.

Last edited by a moderator:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

No one in payroll noticed all of these drivers getting jury duty pay? Sounds like a BS story. You can't just collect jury duty pay without court documents to back it up. Also if you recieve pay from the courts you have to reimburse UPS.

bigblu 2 you

foolish move but pension will be there at age.not sure what your vested years are there.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

How would the drivers continue to be fired? It is out of any drivers control to go in payroll and pay themselves jury duty. This can only be done by an authorized employee ( i.e. the sup in question). You can't be charged with dishonesty because a supervisor persuaded them to.

beentheredonethat

How would the drivers continue to be fired? It is out of any drivers control to go in payroll and pay themselves jury duty. This can only be done by an authorized employee ( i.e. the sup in question). You can't be charged with dishonesty because a supervisor persuaded them to.
I don't know how it will turn out. As a parent, I think of it as what would be my opinion if it were my kid or their friends. In my opinion, there;s no doubt in this case the supv that suggested it and approved the bogus jury duty is at fault and s/b fired. However, at same time, the driver who went along and got paid for something they knew was incorrect is also guilty and s/b fired as well. As far as payroll, all they know is jury duty code submitted and jury duty approved by supv. They pay it based on that. End of story. With the number of payments they process they wouldn't notice a dozen or two jury duty payments in a week.

DS

Fenderbender

Seems to me you should be right,but knowingly defrauding the IRS is not a good idea.
I think the sup should be fired and the ones involved should have to pay back the money.
To the OP, I hope you get your pension.

rod

Retired 22 years

Thats the funniest scam on UPS I have ever heard of. I have a feeling if they dig deeper that this is only the tip of the iceberg.