I'm going to intentionally break by pinky toe this weekend.

clarnzz

Go ahead and break your toe.
Teach your child that cheating is the way to win the game.
It is very sad that you think that this is your son's biggest game of his life.
It is just a frickin ball game.
Be a role model for your son , not a cheerleader.

Biggest tournament so far. I'm not just a dad, I'm the team manager! Cheating would be calling in with some BS excuse! I've missed one day of work this year!

Geez, just reread some of this, I was trashed last night, but I'm still breaking my toe!

bluehdmc

My problem is I want my management team to trust me and do not want to be dishonest. I also have 13, 14 year old boys counting on me. I only see one option.

Oh yeah, your kids are gonna be impressed, "My Dad got drunk last nite, smashed his pinky toe with a sledge hammer just so he could come coach us".

OR:

clarnzz calls management 'team', "hello, this is clarnzz, I won't be in today."

management 'team', "What's wrong".

clarnzz, "I'm informing you I won't be in for health reasons, (hey, mental health counts), any further discussion of my health is a violation of my HIPPA rights."

management 'team', "Will you be in tomorrow?"

clarnzz, "If I don't feel better tomorrow, I try to call at least 1 hour prior to start time, good-bye."
clarnzz then presses end call on cell phone he has brought with him to son's baseball game.

Good Luck on game!!

clarnzz

Agreed. I'm not trying to impress my kids, I just want to be there and he wants me there!

Perhaps some mental health treatment may be in order, I won't deny this. :)

CharleyHustle

We have several drivers who coach baseball teams. I used to coach when my kids were younger. All of us knew that UPS came first--that's why we have assistant coaches.

I coached just a little, and I always tried to get the kids and their families to set priorities.

God
Family
school (work)
Baseball

National competitions can encompass a few of these priorities and can make the list order harder to define. Coaching or just as a parent, I would certainly want to be there for my (#2) family. Frankly I don't see UPS giving you a hard time about this, I've seen fellow workers miss time following their kids around the country many times. If they don't feel they can make it happen I'd take a couple extra hours of OT to help get you there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of our drivers coaches a Legion baseball team. The had a tournament in Pennsylvania. He had the day off but had to work when someone else banged in. He worked all day and then drove 7 hours for an 8 am game Saturday morning.

clarnzz

I coached just a little, and I always tried to get the kids and their families to set priorities.

God
Family
school (work)
Baseball

National competitions can encompass a few of these priorities and can make the list order harder to define. Coaching or just as a parent, I would certainly want to be there for my (#2) family. Frankly I don't see UPS giving you a hard time about this, I've seen fellow workers miss time following their kids around the country many times. If they don't feel they can make it happen I'd take a couple extra hours of OT to help get you there.

Right, I've missed numerous games this year for work. I've sent my kid out of town with other families and no parent as I couldn't get off and my wife had to go to a differant town with my younger son for his tournament. My oldest son has played around 70 games this year, my younger around 60. I can't get vacation post-May, single vacation days are ignored. I've called in sick one time this year, I'm used to not being there. This is my sons last chance to win another National Title before high school, as you can see it's making me crazy thinking I can't be there!

Integrity

Binge Poster
Right, I've missed numerous games this year for work. I've sent my kid out of town with other families and no parent as I couldn't get off and my wife had to go to a differant town with my younger son for his tournament. My oldest son has played around 70 games this year, my younger around 60. I can't get vacation post-May, single vacation days are ignored. I've called in sick one time this year, I'm used to not being there. This is my sons last chance to win another National Title before high school, as you can see it's making me crazy thinking I can't be there!
clarnzz,

Did you formally request (in writing) a leave of absence with the company for this purpose?

Sincerely,
I

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I can't believe that the B.Cers have replied 80 times here !!
Clearly this guy is a maroon,or a 12 year old kid who hacked onto his Dad's B.C page !!
I'm leaning towards TROLL , but my gut says maroon because I have seen plenty in my years here !!!
Why don't you just break a leg there killer !!!

Omega man

Well, they at least give a minimal hoot about me as I know 75+ % routes in our center and can run scratch+ on every one of them. I do not think my self mutalition wil have any effect on company policy. I just see it as my only option besides dishonesty.

If you are able to run scratch on all those routes you are most likely cutting corners or doing things wrong. You should break two of your toes. Seriously though, you have contractually allowed sick days. Use them.

rocket man

you must be a great leader for your team? i dont think so. use a personell day then 2 sicks days, the toe thing is dumb. ten years from now you will remember the champion game ten years from they wont remember you took 3 days . save your toe and call sick. have fun i hope you win.

robot

Has A Large Member
Just break the toe, do it now!!!! Why wait till Sunday? This way you can get some rest and relaxation before the big game!!!