I'm new at UPS and just got my CDL

DWall88

Hi everyone. So I was officially hired by UPS in Las Vegas on Feb 21 of this year as a package handler. At the same time I was halfway through trucking school to get my CDL. I graduated on March 10 and I'm awaiting my official license in the mail. Now long story short, I wasn't aware of how UPS worked in terms of moving up the career ladder until about 3-4 weeks in. Now that I know, I'm faced with a big decision that coupled with certain things going on in my personal life requires me to decide quickly and carefully. My question to you all:

- Ride or die with UPS?
Or
- Pursue a career with my CDL somewhere else?

Any advice y'all have is much appreciated. Be kind with your responses please.

GenericUsername

The choice is ultimately yours to make. Make $11 an hour for 18.5 hours a week or use something you went to school for to start making money now. If you're hurting for money, you already know the answer. If you're okay and can get a local trucking gig on top of being able to work preload or reload, go for it. Figure out what works best for you and don't take the advice of people on the internet for financial decisions that you and only you can control.

Hi everyone. So I was officially hired by UPS in Las Vegas on Feb 21 of this year as a package handler. At the same time I was halfway through trucking school to get my CDL. I graduated on March 10 and I'm awaiting my official license in the mail. Now long story short, I wasn't aware of how UPS worked in terms of moving up the career ladder until about 3-4 weeks in. Now that I know, I'm faced with a big decision that coupled with certain things going on in my personal life requires me to decide quickly and carefully. My question to you all:

- Ride or die with UPS?
Or

UPS has the best compensation package in the industry. On the other hand being a PT package handler, that CDL means nothing. Work PT until a package car driver job opens up, drive for a year and wait for a Feeder job to open up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The choice is ultimately yours to make. Make $11 an hour for 18.5 hours a week or use something you went to school for to start making money now. If you're hurting for money, you already know the answer. If you're okay and can get a local trucking gig on top of being able to work preload or reload, go for it. Figure out what works best for you and don't take the advice of people on the internet for financial decisions that you and only you can control.

He could work as an independent contractor and tailor his hours around his preload hours. He would still have to comply with the HOS rules.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
If your young go somewhere else for a few years and come back as an outside hire. check upsjobs.com for tractor trailer driver.
Or talk to hr and your business agent if part time employees can transfer to feeders in your local.

trickpony1

Does the OP have all the endorsements?
Get a passenger endorsement and drive tour buses around Las Vegas while working PT and hope a feeder bid opens.

Just a suggestion...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

- Ride or die with UPS?
Or

Put your name on the list. What is the waiting time there?

Does the OP have all the endorsements?
Get a passenger endorsement and drive tour buses around Las Vegas while working PT and hope a feeder bid opens.

Just a suggestion...
Not sure about Vegas area, but where I am at you have to have a years safe driving in the package car driver classification before you can bid a Feeder job. And most likely 10 to 15 years in package car before you could win a Feeder bid.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have seen new Preloaders get a chance at package driving in less than a year where I am. I know a couple that went to Feeder School after one year in package too. So where you are makes a big difference in wait times now. I would contact the Teamsters Local in Las Vegas to see about wait times instead of taking advice from anybody on the internet.

sppollock

Don't forget that UPS Freight also has a Las Vegas terminal, even though you cannot transfer you can still work part time on the dock opposite shift as small package and take first driving job that pops up. If you could wait small package pays more and has better benefits. Also check if there is a UPS AirFreight terminal in the area, they may be hiring and have all the same benefits as small package with less work.

DWall88

If your young go somewhere else for a few years and come back as an outside hire. check upsjobs.com for tractor trailer driver.
Or talk to hr and your business agent if part time employees can transfer to feeders in your local.

I'm 29. Is it possible to be hired off the streets as a feeder?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm 29. Is it possible to be hired off the streets as a feeder?

Depends on location and their need for feeder drivers. At HARPA we have been hiring a lot of drivers off the street.

Also, to drive feeders at UPS you need your doubles/triples endorsements so make sure you have that as well.

IESucks

- Ride or die with UPS?
Or

UPS guarantees misery. Leave as fast as you can