Impossible Commercial Customer

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Staples seems to go thru more store managers than any place I know. Whenever you finally get them trained to have our sense of urgency they either quit or get moved to another store. The other thing I hate about Staples is the way their special orders are misaddressed. Any time we get an order from a main Staples Dist. Ctr. the customers name with the some part of the store address is all that's on the label. Staples is never on the label except from the shipper. The preload just spa's it to Staples and lets the driver sneak it in the stack. Sometimes they question me & I just tell'm if they didn't order put it with the pickup's with a note. I rarely get anything back.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You're req to make one att a day, wait one minute then tag the door, when your ctr ask you to reatt u tell them NO, i've alrdy made one att today. After three days of tagging the door and a postcard from the ctr clerk, the cust-if they rlly need those pkgs-should figure it out.

Or after ringing bell and waiting one min, u just walk in the front shout ups and get the 1st person u see to sign. U gotta ask yourself, whose world is it? On my rte its my world and my cust figure that out fairly quick.

Finally if the cntr gives some sort of "work as directed" crap. No worries, its $42/hr OT and on a rural rte it will add up quik. good luck.
i went the front door routine for awhile then they started refusing front door del. and threatened to call cust service and complain, thats part of the reason why i had to reattempt the back door:mad:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
No offense, but are you guys nuts?? Staples is our largest ground shipper in all the US. They pay us over 100 million a year. Yet you admit to doing things to intentionally piss them off, how many complaints will the corporate Staples office take from their stores before they think about giving all the business to FDX? How much of that 100 million goes to the Teamsters in pay and benefits? How many people would lose jobs if we didn't process their pkgs? Before you put words in my mouth...... My point is don't do things to piss customer off, espescially a customer the size of Staples. Another poster said, I knew I had their payroll checks but put a notice on back door and left it and came the next day with notice still on door. I understand you rang bell and waited and you have other things to do and more stops to get off. Did you see the volume numbers FDX projected that they will delivery 11 million this peak. There's many reasons FDX has this volume, but don't you think a portion of the reason is that people get a bad taste of UPS by not getting their pay checks etc and they switch? It may not feel like it's affecting you, but how many additional jobs would we have with those 11 million extra pkgs? This is one of those times we think we are doing the right thing for the right reason, but how will we feel when we lose that volume for the "right reason"..
I'm not saying to wait their forever for Staples to come to back door, or to never broach the front door. If necessary go to front and get them to open back door and explain sense of urgency, then escalate issue with on road, ctr mgr and also get with the BD dept. BD will work on issue with Staples if you inform them. (At least most of them will).
(looking very stupid) whats bd dept?

Cementups

Box Monkey
No offense, but are you guys nuts?? Staples is our largest ground shipper in all the US. They pay us over 100 million a year. Yet you admit to doing things to intentionally piss them off, how many complaints will the corporate Staples office take from their stores before they think about giving all the business to FDX? How much of that 100 million goes to the Teamsters in pay and benefits? How many people would lose jobs if we didn't process their pkgs? Before you put words in my mouth...... My point is don't do things to piss customer off, espescially a customer the size of Staples. Another poster said, I knew I had their payroll checks but put a notice on back door and left it and came the next day with notice still on door. I understand you rang bell and waited and you have other things to do and more stops to get off. Did you see the volume numbers FDX projected that they will delivery 11 million this peak. There's many reasons FDX has this volume, but don't you think a portion of the reason is that people get a bad taste of UPS by not getting their pay checks etc and they switch? It may not feel like it's affecting you, but how many additional jobs would we have with those 11 million extra pkgs? This is one of those times we think we are doing the right thing for the right reason, but how will we feel when we lose that volume for the "right reason"..
I'm not saying to wait their forever for Staples to come to back door, or to never broach the front door. If necessary go to front and get them to open back door and explain sense of urgency, then escalate issue with on road, ctr mgr and also get with the BD dept. BD will work on issue with Staples if you inform them. (At least most of them will).

Must be management posting.

Staples will not change shipper because of what one driver does. Staples switches shippers because the opposition offers said business big discounts to win over business. That sounds to me like BD not doing their job. I do my job and get the people their package. If sometimes we have to have some sort of unspoken agreeent on where and when packages will be accepted then so be it.

rod

Retired 22 years
sounds like somebody has never been a delivery driver

D

driver in la

bd are out of touch with the drivers, and you want our help, bd drive one month a year and you would be singing a different tune

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I had a commercial route last bid and no one seemed to want to open the back door. (Staples, Home Depot, Target, Sports Authority) Finally, I got a list of phone numbers and called the front desk when I got there. If they didn't open the door by the time I sheeted all their pkgs., I'd call back and ask to speak to their manager! After a while, most recievers worked with me and I didn't have to wait. I did burn a few cell minutes every day, but it was worth it .

beentheredonethat

sounds like somebody has never been a delivery driver
Sorry to disappoint, but i had been there and done that job. And if the next question is was I the proverbial 30 day wonder driver that got promoted. No I wasn't. I was out there for a couple of years driving. Yes I am in mgmt. Somehow I think it's funny that we think drivers get us the business since most people like most of the drivers, but if drivers intenitionally do something to piss customers off it's not their fault they leave. Ironic isn't it?

Big Babooba

I had the same problem with a large retail office supply company (begins with an s). All deliveries were to be made to the dock even if it was the weekly NDA with the store's payroll. I'd ring the bell, scan all the pkgs, service cross all the pkgs including the payroll. I'd stick the notice on the pedestrian door and leave. The next day I would get the manager asking me where was I the previous day and I'd show him the delivery notice still stuck on the door:cool:
By the way, I was following the instructions of my center manager.

beentheredonethat

By the way, I was following the instructions of my center manager.

Babooba, I believe you. It's said that many mgmt feel this way. Previously on board, there's one ctr mgr that does anything customer wants when he is a small time shipper. Another ctr mgr is willing to piss off the largest shipper we have. Unbelievable.

chevyman

Driver, I feel your pain. Some customers can't be satisfied, as they feel like they are your only stop of the day, but as much as you'd like to tell them where to get off, you have to look at it like you are getting paid good money to go back. Maybe ask the customer, what can you do to make it as easy on you and them as possible. And worse case scenario, after you've tried every thing to make it easy on yourself, and nothing seems to work, just wait until you are on the other side of the earth from that stop when you go back to deliver it a second time, and then you'll pad your miles.

keith lestrange

hey everyone
we in ireland dont have staples but we have similiar customers who treat us the very same-ive got baxter healthcare who we (ups) deliver to everyday without fail and everyday i ring the bell (buzzer) 1 time -scan all the pkgs ring 2 fill out info notice ring 3 stick it to the gate (shutter).
baxter is a reg coll (pb) everyday as well so when he gets his nda ad 1630/1700 and he ask why i tell him no one answered after i rang-he said the stores is always manned....and that I wouldnt wait !!!
i well i told him that the pkgs are next day air (important ??? i guess) and that his not my only delivery ...fix it or 5pm deliveries will be a new deliv time -it lasted a week or so then he caved ....
NO probs since...:wink:

Griff

Did you see the volume numbers FDX projected that they will delivery 11 million this peak. There's many reasons FDX has this volume, but don't you think a portion of the reason is that people get a bad taste of UPS by not getting their pay checks etc and they switch? It may not feel like it's affecting you, but how many additional jobs would we have with those 11 million extra pkgs? This is one of those times we think we are doing the right thing for the right reason, but how will we feel when we lose that volume for the "right reason"..

UPS no longer has a monopoly. I wish you and every other pinhead manager would come to grips with this fact. Fedex is doing 11 million, someone sound the alarms please. We handled around 22 million on 3-4 seperate days last peak from what I heard, give it a rest buddy.

BigBrownSanta

Ring the bell and knock, fill out the delivery notice, service cross the package, attach the delivery notice to the door, leave.

If you are asked to return, say NO.

If you are told to return, work as directed.

Ring the bell and knock, fill out the delivery notice, service cross the package.

Wait 5 minutes.

Message the center you have waited 5 minutes.

Wait 5 more minutes.

Message the center you are leaving.

Attach delivery notice to door. Leave.

beentheredonethat

UPS no longer has a monopoly. I wish you and every other pinhead manager would come to grips with this fact. Fedex is doing 11 million, someone sound the alarms please. We handled around 22 million on 3-4 seperate days last peak from what I heard, give it a rest buddy.
Griff your point? Fedex has 50% of the business we have. Most likely without them it would have been UPS's. That's would be 50% more UPS jobs both for mgmt and hourly. That would have helped with the pension mess with CS. I think most of the fault is on mgmt with this, since in most cases drivers are doing as directed. However, like I mentioned, having a driver walk into store and intentionally "accidentally" hit items with his 2 wheeler etc is ridiculous. That's my point. It's amazing you think that intentionally pissing off our largest ground customer is OK, since they didn't come to the door immediately.

P

polite fdxer

How about going to the manager of the store and politely explaining your predicament. Make sure you sympathize with him and let him know your trying to help them. You can also leave your managers card. It takes time up front but pays in the long term. Otherwise he's going to tell everyone he knows what a prick the UPS driver is. About 75% of the new business I gain is from the "other" guy being dificult.