Improve Our Safety

Dr.Brownz

I'm really trying to stay directly away from giving advice on/around/about company policies :o:o. It'd be best if you considered me as someone who doesn't even work for the company.

I don't want to push any lines. I do believe the safety at UPS needs to be better. However, I can't affect production, and I'm working on a college degree so I won't be around the company for long enough to make that impact later on.

If you're having problems with your lower back I'd be happy to talk about some generic causes that could be hurting you?

I don't see how you will improve safety without commenting on company policies. You can't give advice in a vacuum.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
It's too easy. Dave makes it fun. He's a worthy adversary lol
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

UPSGUY72

Hey everyone,

I'm brand new here and this is my first post, so let me apologize for any toes I instantly step on by being a PT Supervisor.

Now, the reason I'm here:

Our Safety.

It's abysmal. It really is. Not our 'safety picture'. Not our DART frequency. Not our numbers. Not anything to do with production! I'm talking about our safety being poor.

I know there is a lot of inherent resentment towards the word "safety" at UPS. A lot of it gets blown back on the safety supervisor. In fact, so much so, that it can wear on someone very quick (no wonder there is a lot of turnover in that spot!). But some of us do care, which is why I'm electing to take my free time each week to come on here, if there is interest, and talk with any of you that may have questions about body mechanics or chronic 'sores'. You'd be surprised how much of our bodies problems can be fixed by correct lifting posture (and I mean it goes so much deeper than the 8 Keys!). I have a pretty expansive background in athletics and I'm well versed in body building, performance training both fast and slow twitch muscle fibers, and lumbar (lower back) strengthening/posture.

Please note that I am not a doctor and in no way am I offering this in lieu of medical advice. Do NOT seek my opinion in lieu of medical advice. Again, do NOT seek my opinion in lieu of medical advice. Nor does telling me about your injury count as 'telling a supervisor' when reporting an injury (and always report your injuries immediately!!!!).

If any of you are interested I'd love to discuss and/or offer advice for keeping your body healthy. My specialty is body mechanics, but I can also help mildly with nutrition. Anyone who is interested just drop a small post in the thread and I'll get to it as soon as I get a chance! Ask anything about joint movement, high-risk injuries, preventative strengthening exercises, and more!

Thanks and I hope to help any questions you may have!

We elect not to seek your opinion on anything your a PT Sup and no matter what you think you know UPS has people working for them that have more knowledge than you about the Human body.

Also just to let you know most body builders couldn't do this job. Also you don't have to be strong, in great shape or only a male to do it either you just have to be smart enough to know your limits and when to use your hand cart or get help.

If you want to preach about it going much deeper than the 8 keys go preach to your building center manager and see where it gets you...