Inarticulable Customer Complaints

PPH_over_9000

Just kind of fishing here. I'm going to try to be vague, but if anyone wants more clarification I'd be happy to message them.

I've recently found myself the recipient of several complaints in short order. Every complaint the customer calls and says that I made them uncomfortable. I've been in the office once before on account of a PVD where it turned into solely a my-word-versus-her-word situation-- with nothing else to consider-- and management took hers over mine. As a result I had to sign a few policy forms.

Recently I was pulled into the office again. Two complaints the day before. I wasn't surprised, as I had two weird interactions that I phoned in on-route.

"What'd I do?" I asked shortly into the meeting.

'I don't know,' the supervisor said. Yet he had already met and spoken with both customers after I called him about strange customer interactions.

"What did I say?"

Dead eyes, he hit me with "I don't know" again.

I sat for a moment. I thought carefully, and after a few seconds asked "Is there any way we can articulate the problem? Can you tell me what about my actions, my behavior, my words led to this?"

Dead eyes again. "No," he said.

There was a lot of back-and-forth after this and a little bit of preamble, but it's the gist of it. The meat and bones. So, long story short, tl;dr, whatver, I've got a suspension I need to grieve in the morning. Anybody here have any advice for me, or experience with this kind of thing? I don't understand how I can be disciplined for the way a customer feels when that customer can't articulate why they felt that way.

Last edited:

Mutineer

Maybe you have a poor sense of "personal distance" when interacting with others.

When interacting with people during your day to day life, do people back a step or two away from you?

Try to take notice if this happens or not.

PPH_over_9000

Nah man! To both comments. I'm typically the one maintaining distance, and these country folk love to bring their dogs to a delivery. It's moreso a problem when customers get irate for one of three reasons.

Lol, if you're just cheap-shotting then that's cool, I get it. But if you actually want to know then say the word, I'll hit you with a private message.

I'm honestly not stressing much about it, but it's bugged me enough today to make the thread so that speaks for itself, I guess.

Maybe you have a poor sense of "personal distance" when interacting with others.

When interacting with people during your day to day life, do people back a step or two away from you?

Try to take notice if this happens or not.

Re-reading your post, I can't lie, though... I've spent most of my life learning how to not seem like a victim, and a lot of that revolves around an unapproachable persona.

But I don't intentionally bring that into any customer interaction, and I don't say or do anything that they can specify. It's just that that guy that pops out of the house as I'm backing down the driveway and runs up on the truck with his three german shepherds walks away from the interaction upset and can't understand or explain why.

Last edited:

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
I would tell the Sup to apply the same kind of in depth, thoughtful, and comprehensive logic used to for the complaint and apply it to whatever discipline they're congering up and apply it to that. Then tell them you be back tomorrow on route as usual.

Mutineer

and these country folk love to bring their dogs to a delivery

I sooo much hate that.

Dog people are sooo weird about their gawdamm dogs. Could it be that you are displaying physical displeasure at the presence of Barkley, and the owner is offended at that?

Dog people are very often like:
Love me.
Love my dog.
Or yer a creep.

PPH_over_9000

I sooo much hate that.

Dog people are sooo weird about their gawdamm dogs. Could it be that you are displaying physical displeasure at the presence of Barkley, and the owner is offended at that?

Dog people are very often like:
Love me.
Love my dog.
Or yer a creep.

Brother, if it's a dog I don't know, I won't leave the truck. Customer comes to me, and if they can't figure it out a few taps of the horn normally does the trick.

If I DO know the dog, though, and we're like best buds? (And there's a lot of them, dude, I could probably form a super pack across the state) I clock into a break for a minute or two and start throwin' :censored2: around the yard to fetch, lettin' 'em jump on me and :censored2:. Hugs, kisses, all of it, man. Dogs don't bother me unless I'm driving, and a lot of people don't realize we need to get turned around before the delivery and their dogs running around that truck makes that a little difficult.

I used to think I was the dog whisperer, but a belgian malinois that I confused for a german shepherd taught me a lesson I'll never forget a few years back. I just can't trust ones that I don't know, no exceptions.

Last edited:

Commercial Inside Release

That's a cop trick they've been telling management to use. They're trying to trick you into divulging what you said, so you inadvertently corroborate what the customer complained about. Then they will twist the complaint to fit, and try to terminate you.

This puts you in quite a bind, and you need to have a good steward there with you. Make sure the steward is aware that management is acting sketchy, like their trying to trick you into some admission of guilt. Deny any wrong doing, and demand they divulge what the complaint was about. Do not admit anything!

I'm not implying you did anything wrong. For all we know, the manager knows the girl, and it could all be a set up. We're there any witnesses? Any cameras? Some one record you? Did you communicate with her by phone or text, ever?

Mutineer

But I don't intentionally bring that into any customer interaction, and I don't say or do anything that they can specify. It's just that that guy that pops out of the house as I'm backing down the driveway and runs up on the truck with his three german shepherds walks away from the interaction upset and can't understand or explain why.

I understand what you mean. Showing up to greet you with three large dogs is VERY uncool, and very much seems like you are being perceived as a threat, instead of simply wanting only to deliver their stupid box, and be on yer way.

There have been a couple times when I have delivered a box to a home and a person comes out, doesn't say a word to me, and starts filming me with their camera phone!

As you have admitted to adopting a mannerism so as "not to seem like a victim", I think you may have figured out the problem.

Make a dedicated, conscious effort to force a slight smile on yer face when in the presence of customers, and I think your situation may improve.

Mutineer

That's a cop trick they've been telling management to use. They're trying to trick you into divulging what you said, so you inadvertently corroborate what the customer complained about. Then they will twist the complaint to fit, and try to terminate you.

This puts you in quite a bind, and you need to have a good steward there with you. Make sure the steward is aware that management is acting sketchy, like their trying to trick you into some admission of guilt. Deny any wrong doing, and demand they divulge what the complaint was about. Do not admit anything!

I'm not implying you did anything wrong. For all we know, the manager knows the girl, and it could all be a set up. We're there any witnesses? Any cameras? Some one record you? Did you communicate with her by phone or text, ever?
This is very good advice.

PPH_over_9000

What about the customer who verbally assaults the driver. What then
So I asked what happens when a customer points at me, gives me the finger and shouts ":censored2: you!" to me.

They said "Not a thing."

"But what happens if I did the same to them?"

"We'd be having a different meeting."

You know what, guys? I think I'm geared up for a strike just off the strength of today alone, lmao.

GameCockFan

So I asked what happens when a customer points at me, gives me the finger and shouts ":censored2: you!" to me.

They said "Not a thing."

You know what, guys? I think I'm geared up for a strike just off the strength of today alone, lmao.
Here, Their packages go on will call and they have to come pick it up, Don't put up with that bullshat

over9five

Staff member
Just kind of fishing here. I'm going to try to be vague, but if anyone wants more clarification I'd be happy to message them.

I've recently found myself the recipient of several complaints in short order. Every complaint the customer calls and says that I made them uncomfortable. I've been in the office once before on account of a PVD where it turned into solely a my-word-versus-her-word situation-- with nothing else to consider-- and management took hers over mine. As a result I had to sign a few policy forms.

Recently I was pulled into the office again. Two complaints the day before. I wasn't surprised, as I had two weird interactions that I phoned in on-route.

'I don't know,' the supervisor said. Yet he had already met and spoken with both customers after I called him about strange customer interactions.

"What did I say?"

I sat for a moment. I thought carefully, and after a few seconds asked "Is there any way we can articulate the problem? Can you tell me what about my actions, my behavior, my words led to this?"

There was a lot of back-and-forth after this and a little bit of preamble, but it's the gist of it. The meat and bones. So, long story short, tl;dr, whatver, I've got a suspension I need to grieve in the morning. Anybody here have any advice for me, or experience with this kind of thing? I don't understand how I can be disciplined for the way a customer feels when that customer can't articulate why they felt that way.
What did your steward say over all this? I can't see them getting away with suspending you while not telling you what for.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

"What did I say?"

Quit being a creep

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

They said "Not a thing."

What do you think you should do in this situation?