Independent contractor routes that net over 1,000,000 a year

bbsam

Staff member
What would they do? Lock the doors? Take keys out of your trucks? I'd let them and see if they change their minds at around noon.;)

bacha29

bbsam you are another one who talks a good line but if it ever came down to a push vs shove difference of opinion between you and Ground management whereby standing your ground would be at the risk of termination you would be on your knees repenting because you talk the talk but that's where your conviction always ends because despite what you say you too know that you are as powerless as any other contractor and serve at the discretion of the people whose number is taped to your vehicles. So bbsam your snide remarks are simply a testament to your own ignorance and adds nothing to the discourse.

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam you are another one who talks a good line but if it ever came down to a push vs shove difference of opinion between you and Ground management whereby standing your ground would be at the risk of termination you would be on your knees repenting because you talk the talk but that's where your conviction always ends because despite what you say you too know that you are as powerless as any other contractor and serve at the discretion of the people whose number is taped to your vehicles. So bbsam your snide remarks are simply a testament to your own ignorance and adds nothing to the discourse.
bacha, you simply have never pushed back. You seem to think that all the bad management at the local levels is supported all the way up to Pittsburgh. It isn't. In fact, a lot of district level management thinks just as little of local management as contractors do but rocking the boat isn't something they care to do if they can help it. Discipline? You call business discussions discipline. If that's what gets your panties bunched up, then maybe it's best you're on the outside not knowing what's really going on.

bbsam

Staff member
And bacha, what do I add to the discourse? Living proof that all your claims of X terminating contractors for every little thing if pure fiction.

bacha29

Twenty three years of it going all the way back to the early years of RPS , I learned a lot about what is going on. Terminal level management answers to regional management. and effects the directives of regional management. As for termination we had a terminal manager terminate a guy because he objected when on his first day sent to an area that was not the one stated on his contract but withheld his escrow money until he trained his successor. Need more? You simply refuse to recognize the company's unbridled power to terminate at their discretion as evidenced by the fact that there are no specific contractual grounds for termination with the contractors only recourse arbitration but X reserves right to decide who sits on the panel. You clearly contradict yourself when you say you have pushed back against management but at the same time say that you "don't want to rock the boat".

bbsam

Staff member
Twenty three years of it going all the way back to the early years of RPS , I learned a lot about what is going on. Terminal level management answers to regional management. and effects the directives of regional management. As for termination we had a terminal manager terminate a guy because he objected when on his first day sent to an area that was not the one stated on his contract but withheld his escrow money until he trained his successor. Need more? You simply refuse to recognize the company's unbridled power to terminate at their discretion as evidenced by the fact that there are no specific contractual grounds for termination with the contractors only recourse arbitration but X reserves right to decide who sits on the panel. You clearly contradict yourself when you say you have pushed back against management but at the same time say that you "don't want to rock the boat".
Read it again. It is the district staff that doesn't want to rock the boat.

bbsam

Staff member
I would really like to know why I haven't been terminated then. Been a lot of "businesses discussions" and even an OTC over the years.

bacha29

Once again terminal management are subordinate to regional management and effect the directives of regional management. So don't feed me this nonsense about the attitudes of regional management toward their subordinates because regional answers to Pittsburgh. If you think you have a friend in regional managers you have been seriously mislead because they will take that one sided, unilaterally drafted and implemented contract and make you eat it if thats what it takes to effect their absolute will and power and that will not change no matter how many favors you do for them or how special you think you are in their eyes. In the end it all comes down to the terms and language of the contract.

bbsam

Staff member
No friends at regional level. But they aren't friends of local either.

I don't doubt that you've seen bad management. But this is all very micromanagement from Pittsburgh and Memphis (most notably legal). Local does nothing without permission from above. It would surprise me one but if regional told more than one local management person, "Yeah he's an A hole. Deal with it; and no, being an A hole is not grounds for termination."

It will be fine

Bacha, you are not acknowledging the difference between larger corporations and single van contractors. FedEx is much more reluctant to terminate the contract of a large corporation. My company is significantly larger than the entire terminal you worked in. They will not causally terminate my contract when we have a disagreement or if one of my drivers does something silly. It would leave too large a hole in the local network. I'm not saying they won't pull the contract, just that it would take multiple serious offenses for them to do so.

bacha29

Show me the specific contract language that says you are exempted from termination if you have a certain number of routes? The more routes you have the more indispensible you are? That's exactly what you are telling me. Four years ago at a much larger cross state terminal a large majority of contractors abruptly quit. You know what they did? Called in Budget , Enterprise and the staffing agency and was back at it in a day or two and put the contracts back out again. Now if you larger operators were to get together and I would love to see you do it and then acquire the services of a nationally recognized law firm that specializes in contract and labor law to negoiate a service agreement with X, they would not recognize it and send you guys packing. Therefore until you can get some power to get the kind of deal that brings some balance to the equation the number of routes you have will remain a nonissue because ALL power still rests with X.

It will be fine

Bacha, from all your posts it sounds like you were afraid of FedEx management. Rightly so, they could cancel your contract anytime and take your livelihood. I'm in a different position. A terminal manager sending up my file for termination would make them look bad. It would show them as being incompetent at managing their building. It would cause massive service failures that would not easily be handled by temps. I'm not claiming I'm termination proof, just that it would take a lot to get to that point. It's never something I worry about.

STFXG

I've been turning in maintenance forms on the 1st for years... The day after the end of the next month. They piss and moan about it and the most they can do is not load the trucks. As long as they are turned in before dispatching that day there is nothing they can do.

Bounty

Nonsense. 11:59:59.

Make them adhere.
Trust me it doesn't work where I am, maybe on fantasy island where your routes are, but not here. Like I said in past posts doors have been locked to wait for a couple of pieces from a late trailer.

Bounty

Or another example is at home delivery where they won't close your route and your held hostage until you do the report, or wait for the one package they misplaced. These are true examples, believe it or not!!