Inferior Drive Tires Almost Killed Feeder Driver

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Friday, during rainstorm, one of our experienced feeder drivers was almost killed when he lost control of tractor and crashed.

the drive tires are of poor design. the tread is closed so there is nowhere for water or snow and ice to escape. this was brought to managements attention last winter.

after careful study they decided to change to a much better tire but the swap out has been very slow.

almost killed a driver. maybe they will wake up and change these tires before the snow flies. now, before you haters chime in about the driver, he is very experienced and has plenty of time with rain and snow. the tires are just a bad design.

drivers are talking about sick outs for the first snow.

Friday, during rainstorm, one of our experienced feeder drivers was almost killed when he lost control of tractor and crashed.

the drive tires are of poor design. the tread is closed so there is nowhere for water or snow and ice to escape. this was brought to managements attention last winter.

after careful study they decided to change to a much better tire but the swap out has been very slow.

almost killed a driver. maybe they will wake up and change these tires before the snow flies. now, before you haters chime in about the driver, he is very experienced and has plenty of time with rain and snow. the tires are just a bad design.

Let's see,how serious the company Is about "safety"!
All steering tires should be replaced immediately,if they are truly that dangerous!

QKRSTKR

Let's see,how serious the company Is about "safety"!
All steering tires should be replaced immediately,if they are truly that dangerous!
It's not the steering tires, it's the drive tires on tractors. No escape channel for water. Terrible design. Glad I have them on the tractor I'm driving. Now I'll slow down even more when it's raining.

QKRSTKR

Can't imagine how bad they will be in winter. Ups is being very cheap when it come to tires. They won't change them out till the tread is low enough. Tractor last year I drove had literally 4 different tires on the drive axle. Crazy

Can't imagine how bad they will be in winter. Ups is being very cheap when it come to tires. They won't change them out till the tread is low enough. Tractor last year I drove had literally 4 different tires on the drive axle. Crazy
Their are no tier 1 accidents in feeders! Who has to get killed,a family of five in a mini van! Before the issue is corrected!

That's a friggin sin!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Its like we work for 2 different companies.

I have a mud/snow route and when winter starts I write my pkg car up for new tires and they give them to me even if my old ones are only half worn out. The mechanic says its easy to do because they need to have partially worn spares on hand to match up with cars that get flats.

feeder05

that's why when we get terrible weather I slow down…I've gone as slow as 50 mph when it's been a down pour. My time on road is my time.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I shut it down for 50 minutes on Thursday because it was raining so hard. Couldn't see in front of you at all and traffic was getting backed up and congested. I called the supe and told him I was shutting it down til it let up. Totally not worth my life, they will just have to get over it. My life is more important, sorry bout your luck Chuck lol.

muthatrucka

We.ve been complaining about this same thing for at least a year. A mechanic told me my steer tires shake on the interstate b/c they r cheap. $$ over safety.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
last winter they were horrible. after a half mile in snow , the tread was completely iced. it was like a slick drag tire. very little control.

we had to put chains on just to get out of the yard.

last winter they were horrible. after a half mile in snow , the tread was completely iced. it was like a slick drag tire. very little control.

we had to put chains on just to get out of the yard.
By popular demand,bring the bouncing boobs back!

I took alot of crap by asking you to change your avatar.

I was just messing with you!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We.ve been complaining about this same thing for at least a year. A mechanic told me my steer tires shake on the interstate b/c they r cheap. $$ over safety.
There seems to be an issue with the 225/70R19.5 steer tires that our tire recapper can't resolve. I always specify NEW on my requisitions for them and, knock on wood, they are filling them as requested. I won't even put the recaps on if I get them instead.
Tractor STEER tires are usually Bridgestones and they are far from cheap. No recaps in that position by law.

MaceFremonti

One of our twin screw Kenworths has those tires just on the right side and the decent Bridgestones on the left. I was just talking about that issue with those tires to the guy that drives it on Friday....

Sent using BrownCafe App

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I'm in feeders, still a rookie. How can I tell if I have the inferior tires? I can tell tread depth and all that but is there a way to judge these inferior ones? I do know they put those tires on some tractors that the tread is just a straight line. I always thought those were kind of shady. I was on the road several weeks ago and went around a curve and it felt like the tractor kept moving straight for a bit then it kept going, I thought I was just scaring myself but maybe I had those tires on there.