Inferior Drive Tires Almost Killed Feeder Driver

QKRSTKR

I'm in feeders, still a rookie. How can I tell if I have the inferior tires? I can tell tread depth and all that but is there a way to judge these inferior ones? I do know they put those tires on some tractors that the tread is just a straight line. I always thought those were kind of shady. I was on the road several weeks ago and went around a curve and it felt like the tractor kept moving straight for a bit then it kept going, I thought I was just scaring myself but maybe I had those tires on there.
The weight can do that to you too. Remember, the trailers always want to go straight.

Friday, during rainstorm, one of our experienced feeder drivers was almost killed when he lost control of tractor and crashed.

the drive tires are of poor design. the tread is closed so there is nowhere for water or snow and ice to escape. this was brought to managements attention last winter.

after careful study they decided to change to a much better tire but the swap out has been very slow.

almost killed a driver. maybe they will wake up and change these tires before the snow flies. now, before you haters chime in about the driver, he is very experienced and has plenty of time with rain and snow. the tires are just a bad design.

drivers are talking about sick outs for the first snow.
I hope they fix the problem.

Ps are you the woman in your avatar pic? If so you're hot.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
The weight can do that to you too. Remember, the trailers always want to go straight.
All I know, come Winter, I am bidding all CPU. I'm on cover board until April, and I'm not about to be on the road deal with that mess. I want one of those patches on my arm.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I'm in feeders, still a rookie. How can I tell if I have the inferior tires? I can tell tread depth and all that but is there a way to judge these inferior ones? I do know they put those tires on some tractors that the tread is just a straight line. I always thought those were kind of shady. I was on the road several weeks ago and went around a curve and it felt like the tractor kept moving straight for a bit then it kept going, I thought I was just scaring myself but maybe I had those tires on there.

if they are new tires , they will float for a couple thousand miles. I wish I could post a pic of the tires I am speaking of. they are a closed tread. compare that to a tread that is open on both ends so that water , snow and ice can run off.

closed tread tires are good for flat landers and for high mileage. they are not good for mountain driving with severe weather.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
What could the driver have done to prevent this?

No tire is immune from hydroplaning.

it is possible that he was going too fast for conditions and was hydroplaning. however. if you are used to having better tires, he may have been driving with that reference in mind and did not adapt to having these drives. as a matter of fact, his tractor was in the shop and he was using a spare.

the general consensus is that these drive tires were a contributing factor.

if they are new tires , they will float for a couple thousand miles. I wish I could post a pic of the tires I am speaking of. they are a closed tread. compare that to a tread that is open on both ends so that water , snow and ice can run off.

closed tread tires are good for flat landers and for high mileage. they are not good for mountain driving with severe weather.
Nice avatar....good job...Ive Is off the hook!

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
The tires on the ends are closed tread. The middle is what you typically see on drive tires. Many companies have used closed treads on the drive tires without issue. That being said, no tire will fit every condition or every driver. I know in my district we don't purchase them due to driver complaints.
images

muthatrucka

They have a really tight tread pattern. When they r new they look ok but after about a month of wear the pattern gets tighter.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Exactly why I would never go into feeders, whole lot of truck to be responsible for in crappy weather.

It's as tough as you make it. If it's too tough, it's time to park everything. See? Real easy. I was just talking to a fellow feeder buddy on the phone last night about this. He was telling me how he literally gets nauseous seeing those full package cars. No more worries about late air, closing businesses, bulked out trucks, new add cuts everyday and of course, no A/C.

I told him my analogy regarding PC and feeders. PC drivers say what you said about being scared with the big equipment. It's kind of like when you are virgin, trying to work up the courage to get yourself laid. Jacking off is nice and comfy, alright, but there are bigger pastures to plow. Yeah, it's scary before you make the big plunge, but after you bust your balloon, the old life seems like a distant memory.

OK, maybe not a perfect analogy. We never stop whacking our mole, because hey, we're so damn good at it. But trust me, you'll never wish you were back in Buster Brown. That job is for the youngins.