What should I do?

• contact steward

• contact local union office

• discuss with full time supervisor

• quit

Results are only viewable after voting.

DennyHamlin

hi,

I'm a new hire and was under the impression that gaining seniority means that you were around long enough to be in the union. I was now informed by a co worker that seniority is just your position in line to advance and has nothing to do with union. Also that union initiation fees should have been taken out already and that when done i would be in union. Its my seventh week. No fees have been taken. I get lots of mixed messages from HR, several supervisors and just co workers so just looking to clarify here if possible. Please leave advice. I am looking to become involved in my union.

thanks

Catatonic

Nine Lives
What local are you in?
That must be the first question on your checklist!

checklist.jpg

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/upstateny-07102014_0.pdf

looks like your in the upstate/west New York region and this link is for your local rider or supplement. scroll down to page 195 and it reads that you have a "free period" between Nov 10th and Dec 31 and time accrued during that period does not count towards seniority (making your book). any days you worked before Nov 10th and any days you work starting next Monday will count towards your 30 working days in 90 calendar days. if you say this is your seventh week, then you were hired mid November during the free period and have not acquired any days yet towards "making your book". if you work everyday starting next Monday, around week ending February 12th you should see initiation fees taken from your check and your in the union, have made book and have acquired seniority. now your "seniority date" concerning job bids, vacation picks and whatnot will be your 31st working day. read the paragraph over a few times and it will make sense. then of course read the whole rider a few times. knowledge is power my future brother!

Last edited:

DennyHamlin

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/upstateny-07102014_0.pdf

looks like your in the upstate/west New York region and this link is for your local rider or supplement. scroll down to page 195 and it reads that you have a "free period" between Nov 10th and Dec 31 and time accrued during that period does not count towards seniority (making your book). any days you worked before Nov 10th and any days you work starting next Monday will count towards your 30 working days in 90 calendar days. if you say this is your seventh week, then you were hired mid November during the free period and have not acquired any days yet towards "making your book". if you work everyday starting next Monday, around week ending February 12th you should see initiation fees taken from your check and your in the union, have made book and have acquired seniority. now your "seniority date" concerning job bids, vacation picks and whatnot will be your 31st working day. read the paragraph over a few times and it will make sense. then of course read the whole rider a few times. knowledge is power my future brother!

thanks a bunch paul the clerk!!! Finally a answer that can be backed up!!!

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
just noticed that and dont know why it starts on 179, mine does too and im in a different local. anyway, this is your regional supplement or "addition to" the master contract that covers the whole country. the master is like the big set of rules for everyone, and than each local or region has a smaller set of there own rules called a rider or supplement. this causes a bit of confusion when a question gets asked and answered because depending on where you work there are different answers. for example, in my local the free period is Oct 15th to Jan 15th and its 40 days in 70 to make book. here is a link to the master which ends on page 176 so that sorta makes sense now. printed book versions have the supplement in the back after the master.

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

DennyHamlin

OK excellent. I will definitely save a copy of both PDF's in my files for any future reference! Like you said knowledge is power! Again thanks for sharing.

AllOnTheHorses

So I know this guy... let's call him Denny Hamlin... he posts to BrownCafe and supervisors might be able to see how he talks about them. I think he should change his username so he can ask some really juicy questions about how UPS really works.
: )
All in jest my friend! but I would change your username.. unless that's a fake.. or co-worker's hahahahahaha!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
So I know this guy... let's call him Denny Hamlin... he posts to BrownCafe and supervisors might be able to see how he talks about them. I think he should change his username so he can ask some really juicy questions about how UPS really works.
: )
All in jest my friend! but I would change your username.. unless that's a fake.. or co-worker's hahahahahaha!

I can't quite put my finger on why, but I don't believe that is his real name.

http://www.dennyhamlin.com