Injury outside of work as a new hire, what happens now? - On Topic

Greg Sher

Okay... so I literally just started doing package handling this last Wednesday at the Hodgkins UPS, and I worked the whole week. Last night I just sprained my foot. Outside of work. I know there’s the 30 day probational period. Can I call off say for a couple days to a week? Or is that a terrible idea. What should I expect? Am I probably going to get fired?

Greg Sher

Since it’s Saturday I’m expecting I can’t call right now. Should I call my supervisor and tell him before work starts on Monday? I do sunrise sort.

Box Ox

Should I call my supervisor and tell him before work starts on Monday?

Absolutely. He’ll at least appreciate that you gave him time to figure out how he wants to fill slots with you out.

I’d actually text first if I were you. A record for both of you and less intrusive upon one’s weekend/time off.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Okay... so I literally just started doing package handling this last Wednesday at the Hodgkins UPS, and I worked the whole week. Last night I just sprained my foot. Outside of work. I know there’s the 30 day probational period. Can I call off say for a couple days to a week? Or is that a terrible idea. What should I expect? Am I probably going to get fired?
If you hadn't signed up here under your real name, and given you work location I would have advised sucking it up, and walking into work normally ,and then curled up in a ball screaming in agony five minutes after the sort started Monday.
Call or text your supervisor on Monday BEFORE the sort starts and explain what happened

Greg Sher

If you hadn't signed up here under your real name, and given you work location I would have advised sucking it up, and walking into work normally ,and then curled up in a ball screaming in agony five minutes after the sort started Monday.
Call or text your supervisor on Monday BEFORE the sort starts and explain what happened

I only have the numbers that they gave us for my supe and my manager. Do you think they take text messages? I was going to send a text to my supe now to let him know, and if he doesn’t respond I’m going to just call before the sort. And yeah I know that probably wasn’t a good idea but I just didn’t care at the point. Needed a question answered since I really need this job and I am not in a position to lose it lol.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I only have the numbers that they gave us for my supe and my manager. Do you think they take text messages? I was going to send a text to my supe now to let him know, and if he doesn’t respond I’m going to just call before the sort. And yeah I know that probably wasn’t a good idea but I just didn’t care at the point. Needed a question answered since I really need this job and I am not in a position to lose it lol.

Yes text them if you have their number. .
And relax you have to be a complete screw up to lose this job. It's hard physical labor. As long as you aren't hurt on their dime they shouldn't get too upset about it

LeftRS1

One of those Millennials Drivers
Here's what you do, suck it up show to work with your doctors note about work restrictions, tell them you need to work and they will send you home. 99 times of 100.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Your best bet is to be honest and tell your FT sup what happened....bring a dr note if you have one. They won’t fire you for taking a few days off....I’ve never seen a building so desperate for employees....especially inside the hub and especially this time of year. One good heatwave and the blue vests quit like crazy.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You should have hobbled into work. You hurt that on the job and need workman's comp.

Whitelightning1534

You should've went into work and made it look like it happened on the job so you could've at least gotten workers comp but be prepared to get fired since you are still in your 30 day probationary period and you called in. If they find out you hurt yourself they will probably terminate you even though it wasn't on the job I understand where you're coming from but be prepared to hear from somebody about your termination

Whitelightning1534

I wouldn't risk getting sued for faking an injury

Whitelightning1534

I'd say you might not have your job by the time you get off the injury you're still in you 30 day probation period and have no seniority don't be surprised if you try to go back to work and you've been replaced

dudebro

Most likely is they probably kept him, he worked 3 weeks, and then he quit on his own. Kudos to him if he's still around.

Whitelightning1534

He's probably gone to Amazon as soon as they raised the pay to $15 an hour bi just won't work for a company that works employees to the Bone and doesn't have a union or healthcare and that's why I think UPS only gave us $13 an hour because at the end of the day a majority of us would rather have free health insurance that have our checks raped each week