Integrity issues?

DS

Fenderbender
This is a simplified description but there are 3 phases of management:
Planning-We don't care how you do it just do it.
Organizing-We don't care how you do it just do it
Control / Execution-I don't care how you do it just do it.

The Manager's job is primarily in the first two areas and the Supervisor's is the Execution.

A view from the outside looking in does not provide very good insight to the inner workings of a process.
I made it easy to understand.

john346

No more Brown!
Man do I owe "tie guy" for all of his schooling! Firstly, drivers are the eyes, ears, and friendly face that keeps this company alive, and people like you should thank us every day. When you management types lay down some moronic new rule, we are the hapless bastards who have to pass the disservice on. Astonishingly, we actually like our customers, we work to make sure they get their meds, presents, etc.
You feel I'm a disgrace, I should lose my job for the damage I've done? I couldn't have expressed better the ideology that obviously far to many management people have for drivers. Nice job. Regarding my log in name John346, nothing too surreptitious and far from saintly here, my first name is indeed John, the 346 has no biblical connotations, actually far from it. I also work as a part time sheriff's deputy, and this is my badge number.
If you dispatch your crew all with too much work while still cutting cars, and when nobody can clean their day in 12 and grouping all of the missed and re labeling them as emergency conditions equates to; Throwing a blanket over an over-running septic tank, it does not make it stink any less. Honestly, You eluded to my lofty stature, coming down to educate, far from it, as it's apparent that you feel so above us all. And if only I could print your inane diatribe on a soft paper, my septic system would rejoice!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This is a simplified description but there are 3 phases of management:
Planning
Organizing
Control / Execution

The Manager's job is primarily in the first two areas and the Supervisor's is the Execution.

A view from the outside looking in does not provide very good insight to the inner workings of a process.

Here are the six phases of a UPS management project:

1. Enthusiasm
2. Disillusionment
3. Panic
4. A search for the guilty
5. Punishment for the innocent
6. Praise and honors for the non-participants.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
"A man generally has two reasons for doing something: one that sounds good, and a real one." JP Morgan

An awful lotta folks don't even understand their own motivation. Integrity is truth, respect for self, respect for other. "Integrity" is also thrown around UPS pretty loosely as an insult, an assault on character. It stings and gets a reaction for a very logical reason: MOST OF US VALUE IT.

This company is being systematically dismantled from way up top, y'all. No single group of Brown-wearing or tie-wearing people is responsible for this. Most of us are pretty decent folks and we are ALL employed by a piece of corporate machinery that sustains itself with sweat and blood and year after year of people's lives . We work hard for this company, all with selfish motives. People that don't work don't tend to stick around, drivers or management. Yeah a few creeps slip through occasionally. But we, the good people of UPS, are the majority. We need to pull together, stop letting them divide us. Most of us have the same goal: a successful company that we can be proud of, right? Well, we've got the success part down pat and that will always be a developing process anyway. There is always gonna be something new to learn. It's time for some polishing. And we will not remain successful divided. Management and hourly both have equally important roles. The over-paid, doubly and triply employed advisors, on the other hand, are driving a bigger wedge between us for a reason. There is a method to all of the madness. There almost always is. And it does lack integrity.

Things are gonna start changing so fast. A lot of jaws are gonna be jacked over the next couple of years.

I wouldn't mind being part of the fix, y'know?
Takers? Can you read between the lines?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Here are the six phases of a UPS management project:

1. Enthusiasm
2. Disillusionment
3. Panic
4. A search for the guilty
5. Punishment for the innocent
6. Praise and honors for the non-participants.

Yep ... first saw this one 20 years a go (or so) and there is a lot of truth to it. Even more so in the Corporate arena.

CharleyHustle

Integrity is a nice word, something we all aspire to, well untill something called reality gets in the way. The reality is that the company and the workers have some big problems. The workers could step back and look at who really provides the paycheck. Hard work and integrity wont get you a cup of coffee unless someone is willing to pay you for it. In my world I don't much care how the boss wants me to do or record something. Its his show, he pays the bills. The company has deeper problems than disgruntled employees posting negitively on obscure message boards. In my barn there are few if any "happy" employees, management or hourly. Sorry, thats just hard to figure given our compesation package. Its puzzleing that the only way the company can come close to turning a profit is to load up every employee to their absolute max everyday. For saleried and hourly the day gladly ends not that fires were put out and problems solved, but just that its over. It would be nice to work for a company with integrity, I'd settle for a company with a better grasp of reality.

tieguy

Banned
Interestingly our saint has now denegrated the discussion to one of management versus the driver......:)

Looks like bubbles is still hoping I'll take him off ignore. Keep stalking my friend.

Integrity is still looking for a victory to give him credibility here.

kudo's to those who stayed around the general topic.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
In my barn there are few if any "happy" employees, management or hourly. Sorry, thats just hard to figure given our compesation package. Its puzzleing that the only way the company can come close to turning a profit is to load up every employee to their absolute max everyday. For saleried and hourly the day gladly ends not that fires were put out and problems solved, but just that its over. It would be nice to work for a company with integrity, I'd settle for a company with a better grasp of reality.

Our company does have a very firm grasp on reality. Unfortunately for us, part of reality is that there is a direct correlation between abuse and production.

To a point. And then we have the extremes.

Put too much pressure on anything and it will eventually collapse. If you're lucky. Applied in the wrong direction with an extreme amout of force, it will explode in your face.

Some of us are fortunate to have a management team that pads them and their coworkers from a lot of maltreatment. They are the kind of folks that will as long as they can, which won't be much longer. So my hunch is that a lot of people have no clue. The harassment is contrived. Disagree all you want, but think about what happens when, even at a minimum, your flaws are pointed out to you first thing in the morning. You leave the building p'd off. The energy that builds up must be released and most of us will work harder. This process starts at the very top as soon as the ops reports start to come in. Soon it will happen in real-time thanks to technology.

Our employment situation is at least a little unique and will never even approach perfect. This ain't SAS and will never even come close for us hourlies or those that manage us directly. But the hostility has to go.

Now I've heard some say there is no maltreatment in their neck of the woods, and the only hostility comes from "bad" employees who want money for nothing. Managers are not going to admit to the abuse they face. They will flat out deny it. I have heard it first hand, and I have seen and felt it's consequences. If they admit to it to you or me they will be forced to see it for what it is. On a personal level, they feel as though they will have to give something up. On a not-so-personal level they will be fired.

There are more than a couple of reasons people choose to work under these circumstances. That's a different thread. At least a few don't know how to function without an abusive caretaker. Many don't understand their own motivation. Many don't care. It's a very personal issue and a heck of a lot of people don't have a foundation that will withstand that kind of exploration, through no fault or flaw. A whole lotta folks are just scrambling to get some really basic needs met. All of our motivation is fundamentally selfish. The world just wouldn't spin otherwise.

We are all on the Tightest Ship. The folks at the helm are extremely selfish. They are steering us toward disaster because it's paying off for them at the moment. When it sinks they won't have a pot to pee in.

Someone has to excercise power for this company to operate. They don't have to abuse it. We don't have to allow it.

I love my job, for the most part. Among many other reasons, it's the only opportunity I will ever have to get paid for being athletic, and there is some degree of artistry in it. I am well compensated and appreciate it. I am not trying to bite the hand that feeds me. Face-to-face with the customer, I speak well of my company or I don't speak. I can always find something positive to say. In here, I am telling the truth as I see it.

I make mistakes and make an effort to own and understand them when I do. That's the only way I know to improve.

We must hold those who hold power accountable. They have what they need to be successful and their quest for more and more and more will ruin it for all of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

tieguy

Banned
To think corporate greed put most of them outta work.
These problems are much more widespread than UPS.

are you really serious with that comment?
I've yet to see a corporation that runs without any employees.
In fact corporate greed helped grow this company into 400,000 employees.

Super64

I'm not sure what happened today, but I heard through the grapevine that a bunch of packages were left in the yard this week due staffing reasons on the sort. It certainly doesn't help that somebody up in management has decided to split and add routes and then only send out half loaded trucks for the past few days. Pisses me off because Friday is going to be busy as hell with all the :censored2: backed up from the previous three days, and Im already pushing 400 stops with a helper. I know if I was on the receiving end of a package that wasn't delivered the past few days I would be pitching a fit, no telling what excuses will be made for them, but its been sunny and 65*friend so I think "Emergency Conditions" is out.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
are you really serious with that comment?
I've yet to see a corporation that runs without any employees.
In fact corporate greed helped grow this company into 400,000 employees.

Are you kidding? You are actually going to cheer for corporate greed? Careful there, you don't wanna give yourself away.

john346

No more Brown!
Honestly, I didn't post this to start a fight. It's apparent that I and others see this as a problem, that management is ducking under the umbrella of "emergency conditions" when we see them as a dispatching problem that creates "missed" service to our customers. Our center is processing almost double of what is considered a normal mid-summer's day, yet only added two additional cars, which is still one below what the center was in the past regulated at. I understand the need to cut costs, and the need to produce productivity, but to what end? If tie feels I've slipped from the topic, it's obvious that we are 180 degrees out, and that's fine I'm perfectly willing to agree to disagree. The fact is this; since Wednesday Nov 24 to today Dec 2nd, I have had to "roll" on average 20 stops, not parcels, but stops. Punching out right at 12 hours every day. My veracity is true, I have no reason to lie, what would I gain? I do not bring these issues to light to undermine, but to possibly understand why this is accepted. I've contended for the last few years that if management held themselves to the standards they expect of their drivers, there would be a lot of new faces making the decisions. I don't hate management people, and I further hate the "Us and Them" mentality that exists in so many centers. BUT ( you had to know it was coming), it is so apparent that every time we extend a hand, it gets bitten. So many times, it's far easier to take your problems to the union than being able to resolve the issue with your center manager. This for me, is an awesome venue to vent. I respect Tie in that he seems passionate about his position, unfortunately, I have only passion for the day to day with my customers, when it's time in the am to listen to another negative PCM's on how we are hitting dogs in Vermont, or picking up too early etc. It's to the point where it's only while I'm at the center that makes me nauseated. I just want to make my magic 80, and then...... in three or four years, I may begin to like Christmas again. Okay, maybe five.

CharleyHustle

Obscure?
Them's bannin' words Chuckhustle:wink2:

I don't know how to find the stats for this board. As a Mod you could tell us? How many members? how many active? avg. # of posts. Whatever the numbers, I bet a weeks pay they pale in comparision to the "400,000 UPS employees". Or, 210,000,000 US citizens, or the several billion potential customers worldwide. In comparision to say, CNN, I think "obscure" is fairly accurate.

In reguards to "bannin'", thats seems to be the management view to dissent. I forget, what kind of regimes want to silence dissent? Whatever. If a current or potential customer is going to form an opinion from a "disgruntled" employee's post, then surely they will also be influnced by by the company defender's reasoned (or not) reply.

Nimnim

The Nim
The sound that was made when CharleyHustle read the post made by DS.

What is "Whooooosh" Trebek.

P.S. It was a joke, winky smilies usually indicate as such.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't know how to find the stats for this board. As a Mod you could tell us? How many members? how many active? avg. # of posts. Whatever the numbers, I bet a weeks pay they pale in comparision to the "400,000 UPS employees". Or, 210,000,000 US citizens, or the several billion potential customers worldwide. In comparision to say, CNN, I think "obscure" is fairly accurate.

In reguards to "bannin'", thats seems to be the management view to dissent. I forget, what kind of regimes want to silence dissent? Whatever. If a current or potential customer is going to form an opinion from a "disgruntled" employee's post, then surely they will also be influnced by by the company defender's reasoned (or not) reply.

Threads 21287

Posts 418051

Members 19981

Moreluck has 6.3% of all of the posts on this forum while Over9five and I have 6% combined.