Integrity issues?

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
We all have selfish motivations, we all make mistakes. The people who don't learn and take that selfishness to extremes cause problems for everyone, eventually even themselves. "Atlanta" is not going to act on this kind of integrity issue b/c it is inherent in their agenda. As long as 2+2= their version of 4 and we are off of the public's radar they won't balk.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The ONLY people who have any integrity at UPS are the hourly employees!! All of management has been taught how to USE the word and throw it around at the hourlys, but they do not have the slightest idea of how to practice it! And I speak from experience.

I am frequently critical of management....but I strongly disagree with your statement.

You say none of them have integrity. After 24 years here, I would say about 95% of them have integrity.

Unfortunately, the 5% who dont are the ones who tend to get promoted because they are the ones who will lie and manipulate their way up the corporate ladder. And they wind up making life miserable for the rest of us honest folks, both management and hourly alike.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The ONLY people who have any integrity at UPS are the hourly employees!! All of management has been taught how to USE the word and throw it around at the hourlys, but they do not have the slightest idea of how to practice it! And I speak from experience.

I also disagree with this statement. I am sorry you have not had the same experience.

The option in the DIAD for weather is for when you have late air--it is not an option for packages that cannot be delivered due to Emergency Conditions. EC is misused by both mgt and hourlies.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I'm not sure what else I can tell you that I have not said already. I have worked both sides of the exception process both in the OE capacity and in operations.

As I previously stated the use of weather emergency codes requires approval and gets you a lot of scrutiny. Its not something some building manager can do to hide his mistakes without getting himself a lot of questions and a lot of hot water.
tieguy,

Please forgive me, I must have missed it.

Can you reference the post where you explained how the "Emergency Condition" code is used and the process that leads up to the approval to use the EC code?

Please take me from the moment that a service provider informs his supervisor that he will not be able to deliver, let's say, 20 stops up to the point where they get the EC code?

Please include the criteria that must be met for conditions to qualify as an "Emergency Condition" and the level of management that provides this approval.

Sincerely,
I

tieguy

Banned
tieguy,

Please forgive me, I must have missed it.

Can you reference the post where you explained how the "Emergency Condition" code is used and the process that leads up to the approval to use the EC code?

Please take me from the moment that a service provider informs his supervisor that he will not be able to deliver, let's say, 20 stops up to the point where they get the EC code?

Please include the criteria that must be met for conditions to qualify as an "Emergency Condition" and the level of management that provides this approval.

Sincerely,
I
how can I better explain it so you are able to understand it?

Integrity

Binge Poster
how can I better explain it so you are able to understand it?
tieguy,

Sincerely,
I

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Procedure and policy changes as management sees fit, with a hope that they will be supported by their higher-ups. 'S why we, the managed, are not permitted access to the play book.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Procedure and policy changes as management sees fit, with a hope that they will be supported by their higher-ups. 'S why we, the managed, are not permitted access to the play book.
hubrat,

While procedure does change frequently, policy changes less frequently.

The UPS Policy book is currently being revised, it has not been revised since 2001.

Sincerely,
I

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
To clarify my last: Some members of management will often misrepresent policy and proceedure (1) to manipulate hourly workers, and/or (2) b/c they are unaware of the actual policies and procedures. I have found that the same people will dismiss the UPS National Agreement as a joke, though it is a legally binding contract entered into by UPS.

The joke is expecting anyone to conform to an imaginary, ever-changing set of rules.

Many "policies" are unwritten, as I'm sure you are well aware. For example, new on-cars with no hourly experience with the company are instructed to tell drivers they were themselves drivers for 1 to 2 years. Some abide while others have self respect and integrity and choose not to misrepresent themselves.

Integrity is no longer a corporate value. The company wouldn't be as financially successful if it were.

Integrity

Binge Poster
To clarify my last: Some members of management will often misrepresent policy and proceedure (1) to manipulate hourly workers, and/or (2) b/c they are unaware of the actual policies and procedures. I have found that the same people will dismiss the UPS National Agreement as a joke, though it is a legally binding contract entered into by UPS.

The joke is expecting anyone to conform to an imaginary, ever-changing set of rules.

Many "policies" are unwritten, as I'm sure you are well aware. For example, new on-cars with no hourly experience with the company are instructed to tell drivers they were themselves drivers for 1 to 2 years. Some abide while others have self respect and integrity and choose not to misrepresent themselves.

Integrity is no longer a corporate value. The company wouldn't be as financially successful if it were.
hubrat,

This is a great post. You clearly see how far individuals have fallen at UPS. It is such a shame.

Every individual of a corporation like UPS, from the lowest seniority hourly to the CEO, is responsible for their actions.

Integrity still is a corporate value.

According to the UPS Charter it is a core value.

The fact that there exists so many individuals who refuse to stand up with Integrity while working for UPS does nothing to change the fact that integrity is a value.

It is a value that every individual, from the lowest seniority hourly to the CEO, is responsible to embrace while working for UPS.

Sincerely,
I

Catatonic

Nine Lives

If it makes you feel any better about these management people to whom you refer, I've seen the same kind of "lack of Integrity" from hourly employees. They try and twist the contract around and make outrageous assertions, they hide behind rules to get away with dishonesty, they call in sick and are seen out working in the yard or at the mall or on the lake, and so on and so on.

One thing is very clear to me and that is that everyone thinks "THEY" are acting with Integrity and think everyone else doesn't. I never expect Integrity from anyone because no one ever does everything exactly the way "I" think it should be done and I know I'm right.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
If it makes you feel any better about these management people to whom you refer, I've seen the same kind of "lack of Integrity" from hourly employees. They try and twist the contract around and make outrageous assertions, they hide behind rules to get away with dishonesty, they call in sick and are seen out working in the yard or at the mall or on the lake, and so on and so on.

One thing is very clear to me and that is that everyone thinks "THEY" are acting with Integrity and think everyone else doesn't. I never expect Integrity from anyone because no one ever does everything exactly the way "I" think it should be done and I know I'm right.

Thanks but it doesn't help. The discussion was about management.
I have signed many papers re packages missing from my load, only to have them turn up next day and clearly were buried by one of my bros in Brown. No better, no worse, than the individuals in management of whom I speak.
Only different. They are not in a position of power over many, and they're behavior is, for the most part, not tolerated as good business practice.

john346

No more Brown!
I so appreciate all of the excellent posts and reputation points I have received regarding this posting. Clearly this is not an isolated situation. As strongly as I feel compelled to point out what I perceive as wrong, I am further unwilling to make a shout out from a position of anonymity. In previous postings, I have mentioned that my center manager and I'm certain others from my center have read, and known my identity. Last week, there was a very detailed PCM regarding the accusations being made about integrity issues. I'm not obtuse, nor dim witted, and knew full well that this posting could and probably would cause me difficulty at my job. I have, with my posting, further emboldened the target on my back. Fortunately for this wonderful format, I have a very large audience to witness any repercussions that may come my way as a result of my actions.
I still contend that if you are at the drive looking in, and it's indeed blown and drifted shut, then E/C is the call, but to send out extra work and those that return to the center are not E/C, I guess somewhat naively, "Out for delivery" actually means just that. Cheers!

tieguy

Banned
tieguy,

Sincerely,
I

sounds like you're looking for a script so you can then highlight when we deviate from the script. Much like you tend to manipulate the policy book to your advantage here.

As I have previously stated the process often requires much discussion and oversight.

the discussion may involve IE managers , OE managers, local operations managers and division managers, IE divison managers, OE divison managers , OPs managers and in some cases district and region and even corporate level managers.

The oversight is provided by the same at all levels including corporate. The same detailed reports that so many here complain about also highlight what exception codes are used when.
The oversight is also provided by the customers. Along with the individuals that now track their packages you have some pretty knowledgable tracking experts at your larger shippers that would question the bogus use of the weather exception.

Back to my point that I have made several times here on this thread this issue has way too much visibility to it to think we could have some random center manager creating bogus weather exceptions without consequences.

Using those codes to hide mistakes at the building level as is alluded to by the OP would set off large red flares that would get the Center team questioned and fired.

pretzel_man

sounds like you're looking for a script so you can then highlight when we deviate from the script. Much like you tend to manipulate the policy book to your advantage here.

As I have previously stated the process often requires much discussion and oversight.

the discussion may involve IE managers , OE managers, local operations managers and division managers, IE divison managers, OE divison managers , OPs managers and in some cases district and region and even corporate level managers.

The oversight is provided by the same at all levels including corporate. The same detailed reports that so many here complain about also highlight what exception codes are used when.
The oversight is also provided by the customers. Along with the individuals that now track their packages you have some pretty knowledgable tracking experts at your larger shippers that would question the bogus use of the weather exception.

Back to my point that I have made several times here on this thread this issue has way too much visibility to it to think we could have some random center manager creating bogus weather exceptions without consequences.

Using those codes to hide mistakes at the building level as is alluded to by the OP would set off large red flares that would get the Center team questioned and fired.

Tie is absolutely right....

SEAS measures the service of every single package. The service measurement is based on a "no excuses" or "end to end" measurement. This means that if the customer didn't get a package due to "Not in", "No such address", etc. the reports still show a service failure.

There are very few codes that will hide the failure. Emergency Condition is one of them. The use of it is very closely monitored.

Rather than all the posts here speculating as to why it was used and accusing most UPS management of being liars, wouldn't it make more sense to ask the supervisor or manager why they used it?

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Tie is absolutely right....

SEAS measures the service of every single package. The service measurement is based on a "no excuses" or "end to end" measurement. This means that if the customer didn't get a package due to "Not in", "No such address", etc. the reports still show a service failure.

And as a Service Provider I am blamed for that failure every a.m. when I am called upon to sign a piece of paper stating that I made an error, even though I am following every procedure the way I was instructed.

=HARASSMENT

pretzel_man

And as a Service Provider I am blamed for that failure every a.m. when I am called upon to sign a piece of paper stating that I made an error, even though I am following every procedure the way I was instructed.

=HARASSMENT

Are you blamed for a bad address? Not in? No such person?

The situation I spoke about shows up on SEAS as a failure. Its done that way to measure service based on getting the package to the customer on time.

I don't recall ever seeing a driver being harassed for those situations. Let me know if I am wrong.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Are you blamed for a bad address? Not in? No such person?

The situation I spoke about shows up on SEAS as a failure. Its done that way to measure service based on getting the package to the customer on time.

I don't recall ever seeing a driver being harassed for those situations. Let me know if I am wrong.

We are forced every morning to review and sign for these so-called service failures. Part of the new deal. Soon to be at a center near you.

Some genius center manager in GA's idea. It's still creeping up the Atlantic coast from my understanding.

Is your mug not on the wall yet with your performance rating?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
hubrat,

While procedure does change frequently, policy changes less frequently.

The UPS Policy book is currently being revised, it has not been revised since 2001.

Sincerely,
I

There have been a policy revisions since 2001. Can't say when the last book was actually printed. I believe the most recent revisions are related to fraternization, rehire policy, and hiring of relatives.