Intercepting a package

stefslon

Hello everyone.

I have a package that is getting shipped from MN to MA. The package is needed for New Years (120 booklets inside that are to be distributed to guests at New Years), but, unfortunately, delivery date is January 4th. The content of the package at that point will be useless. The package is currently heading for Worcester Hub (Shrewsbury, MA) and probably will be there today. I called 800 PICK UPS number, but they said there is nothing they can do before the first delivery attempt. My question is, is it worth trying to get a hold of someone at the local facility and see if they will be nice enough to hold it for me for pick up? Has anyone ever had success with anything like this?

Thanks!

stefslon

That's already encouraging! Does anyone know how I go about obtaining a phone number of the sorting facility. The one I am looking for is in Shrewsbury, MA. The number I got from Google Maps doesn't seem to be any good, no one is picking up the phone.

Thanks once again.

p228

You may have better luck calling the shipper and asking them to put a 'package intercept' on it. The call center will only do it for the shippers. That way if the trailer gets unloaded today it will notify the loader when he scans it and tell him not to load it.

Do you know if Shrewsbury is where your packages normally get delivered from? If it is that trailer might not get unloaded until Tuesday.

stefslon

Usually the package goes from Shrewsbury to Chelmsford MA and only then it goes on the brown truck. I am guessing that if I wait till it gets to Chelmsford it's already going to be January 2nd or 3rd (not sure if UPS is open on the 2nd). That's why I was hoping to intercept it at its first sort location.

iowa boy

stefslon,

Have you tracked the package's progress online?

Unless this package was shipped next day air, there is no way its gonna be in MA in a day. According to UPSs' maps, its a four business day trip via ground from MN to MA. If it shipped 12/29 like you said, you would be lucky to see it in Indiana or Ohio right now.

stefslon

It left the facility in MN on mid-night of 29th. UPS website says 4 business days to the doors of my residential address. What I am hoping to do is intercept it as soon as it gets to the first sorting facility here in MA.

stefslon

Hah... or don't buy 10 days before the event with Christmas weekend in between. There are many lessons I can learn from this, but I am still hoping to do something about the situation at hand.

iowa boy

It left the facility in MN on mid-night of 29th. UPS website says 4 business days to the doors of my residential address. What I am hoping to do is intercept it as soon as it gets to the first sorting facility here in MA.

If its a ground shipment, it wont even get to MA until tuesday of next week. Its movement within UPS will stop either tonight or tomorrow morning. It will then not move again til Monday night at the earliest or as late as Tuesday morning. Thats why p228 and I both want to know if its a ground or air shipment.

There is also the possibility that your package is sitting in a trailer moving via train to MA. If its moving via train, you will see no scans on your package until it gets to MA and its offloaded from the train and driven to the hub to be unloaded.

EDIT:

Since its a ground shipment, there is nothing anyone can do to speed up the movement of this package within our system. I'm not trying to be a butt head to you, but since it was sent ground, you are sadly out of luck with regards to getting this package when you want it. I hope this doesn't sour your experience with UPS.

Last edited:
P

pickup

volume has been so slow this week, is it possible they pushed it into the system just to have work for people this week?

I realize it is now 2:24 in the afternoon and a shipper intercept and a pickup at the customer service window is a going to not be a possibility in a few hours. How about a tracking number???

P

pickup

I hate to get the original poster's hopes up but a shipper intercept at this late hour may not be a possibility.