Ca, Us 08/12/2007 1:19 A.m. Departure Scan

Oakland,
Ca, Us 08/11/2007 9:55 P.m. Arrival Scan

Sparks,
Nv, Us 08/11/2007 5:00 P.m. Departure Scan 08/11/2007 3:57 P.m. Origin Scan

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
How did the package get from Oakland to Louisville in that time? It traveled through several Time Zones. Or you discovered the top secret project about the new UPS Transporter Device that also goes through time warps.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Oakland,
Ca, Us 08/12/2007 5:06 P.m. In Transit To 08/12/2007 5:05 P.m. Arrival Scan

Louisville,
Ky, Us 08/12/2007 3:49 P.m. Departure Scan 08/12/2007 8:06 A.m. Arrival Scan

Oakland,
Ca, Us 08/12/2007 1:19 A.m. Departure Scan

Oakland,
Ca, Us 08/11/2007 9:55 P.m. Arrival Scan

Sparks,
Nv, Us 08/11/2007 5:00 P.m. Departure Scan 08/11/2007 3:57 P.m. Origin Scan

All ndas here from chicago go to louisville even if they have to come back here that same night, maybe thats what this is!

Sky

Wannabe
It's a package I ordered from Amazon with next day delivery. It shipped on Saturday, got to Oakland, went to Louisville, and now is in transit back to Oakland. :confused:1

I guess there must be a reason behind it, but it just does not make much sense. :lol:

705red

Browncafe Steward
It's a package I ordered from Amazon with next day delivery. It shipped on Saturday, got to Oakland, went to Louisville, and now is in transit back to Oakland. :confused:1

I guess there must be a reason behind it, but it just does not make much sense. :lol:
You also must be new, if it dosent make sense i guarantee you its the ups way!

Sky

Wannabe
Ky is our main air hub, and almost all airs go through it!

I understand that, but considering that the package left Oakland to come back to Oakland (I live in the Bay Area), it seems that there was no need for the package to leave Oakland to begin with. :cool:

Overpaid Union Thug

It's nothing more than an example of how or company is all about the "numbers" and not service. Shipping packages out that will be sent right back results in the center/hub getting more origin scans. It's all to look good on paper or in some sup's email. We do it here. We send NDAs that were picked up by our drivers but are being sent across town to Louisville just so our center can get more scans. I've always wondered if UPS explains this to customers when their packages are accidentally rerouted from Louisville to Florida when the packages should have never even left our building. They should remain in the center and loaded by the preloaders.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Whats great is when a customer asks you for a nda that was shipped from a suburb near by and you have to explain that it will be in later today due to the snow storm, when it hasnt snowed here in a week! The look on their face is priceless!

raceanoncr

Had the same situation here when air was pretty new, especially NDA. SEE HOW OLD I AM??

As feeders, we would be at airport waiting for planes, loads to be done, etc. Standing next to belts, we would see package bound for city just 50 miles away, with 50-mile away feeder standing right next to us, waiting too. We'd yell something at supes and they'd yank it off and give it to 50-mile away feeder to load onto his trailer or shuttle. Less handling, less time in transit, less chance for damage, less chance for loss, and so on.

Well, then the policy comes down that whatever the customer paid for, that's what the customer gets. So, from what I understand (haven't been on such run for yrs) all NDA-2DA-3DS get loaded into or onto whatever they are supposed to be on and get shipped off, even if it may take longer. We've seen NDA packages bound for across town get shipped to Louky just cuz it says so.

Course, one of the reasons this may also be done is because of a time guarantee. Some customers realize it cost more, goes further, etc., but may want the time guarantee. Must be important.

JustTired

free at last.......
It used to be that if a NDA was going to one of the hubs our feeders went to, they would pull it and load it in the feeder. The pkg never seen an airplane. Not sure that this happens anymore. It is probably a "numbers" game.

On a somewhat related note....Once I picked up a pkg (ground) in the morning that was going elsewhere on my area in the afternoon. I delivered it the same day. Boy, did I catch it for that one. They said it messes up the tracking. I guess I can see that, but I was going there anyway and it wasn't an everyday stop. So I thought I would save time by delivering it then. Boy....I'll never make that mistake again.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
How did the package get from Oakland to Louisville in that time? It traveled through several Time Zones. Or you discovered the top secret project about the new UPS Transporter Device that also goes through time warps.
I've seen that before, I think it actually reflects a *logical* scan (when flight/cargo info is entered into system) and not an actual physical scan (or pilot stopping at gate before runway to call dispatch:lol:)

I understand that, but considering that the package left Oakland to come back to Oakland (I live in the Bay Area), it seems that there was no need for the package to leave Oakland to begin with. :cool:
Unless it wasn't in the right center in Oakland, and got missorted to LOUKY because they only saw the NDA service level, or missed the truck going to the correct center.

I am new! :cool: Well, I was thinking maybe a package has to be moving, and can't just seat somewhere. That may be why it was sent to KY...
There's some truth to that, as one of the magic numbers mgmnt has to be concerned with is *Left In Building* pkgs. Even if it was in the correct building, it would look bad on a report if it was scanned LIB, should be scanned/loaded into a trailer which would be respotted to be unloaded this AM.

W

westsideworma

It used to be that if a NDA was going to one of the hubs our feeders went to, they would pull it and load it in the feeder. The pkg never seen an airplane. Not sure that this happens anymore. It is probably a "numbers" game.

On a somewhat related note....Once I picked up a pkg (ground) in the morning that was going elsewhere on my area in the afternoon. I delivered it the same day. Boy, did I catch it for that one. They said it messes up the tracking. I guess I can see that, but I was going there anyway and it wasn't an everyday stop. So I thought I would save time by delivering it then. Boy....I'll never make that mistake again.

seeeee you are stuck in the past when service was a part of this company's name...I wasn't around then (@UPS anyway lol) but I've heard an awful lot about it. However even since I've been here its more about the numbers and looking good on the hot sheets than it was when I started...and thats sad. Service and numbers sometimes have nothing to do with each other.

Overpaid Union Thug

Allot of people in the medical field like DHL because they'll do the same thing you did only they don't get in trouble for it. My dentist used to work outside of Atlanta and would order dental equipment from a company that just happened to be pretty close to his office. The same driver that would pick up the products would later deliver them the same day. My dentist asked me why we don't do that and I just rolled my eyes and laughed. I've had the opportunity to do that a few times but I knew better. If we are going to have take such pickups back to the building instead of deliverying them then management should at least keep them there instead of sending out to another hub just so they can get their precious "numbers."

browned_out

:confused:1 I know when I got hired back in 89 they used to send everything to louisville, but in our center they seperate the local stuff that can be delvd by feeder. I think this is the normal procedure in most centers. The pkg was probably mis-loaded by mistake. Also maybe because it is amazon and it was shipped on a saturday there is different rules??

Dutch Dawg

It's also possible since this was a Saturday shipment in order to make the destination center (which while in the same city as the origin center may still be different) by Monday it was required to travel this path through Louisville.There have never been any rules changes where I'm at. If an air comes into the building destined to be delivered from our building, it stays in the building untill going out for delivery.

As far as picking a package up and delivering it all in the same day. Wouldn't that be Sonic Air, a service that is charged a premium?

When a driver takes it upon themselves to upgrade a package for same day delivery. They are then making management decisions. I choose to leave that to the suits and ties for how else are we to justify their existance?

Overpaid Union Thug

It's also possible since this was a Saturday shipment in order to make the destination center (which while in the same city as the origin center may still be different) by Monday it was required to travel this path through Louisville.There have never been any rules changes where I'm at. If an air comes into the building destined to be delivered from our building, it stays in the building untill going out for delivery.

As far as picking a package up and delivering it all in the same day. Wouldn't that be Sonic Air, a service that is charged a premium?

When a driver takes it upon themselves to upgrade a package for same day delivery. They are then making management decisions. I choose to leave that to the suits and ties for how else are we to justify their existance?

By the looks of things I'd say they are trying to justify their existance on their own. Hence all the numbers games.

On Thursday I picked up a package from a mall. Realized it was going next door to a resi I was going to later that night. Sent an ods if I could deliver it. They said yes, so I did.