Interesting tidbit I learned today

Slick silver

I was talking to a FedEx freight driver today, that says that a few drivers at his station to get some extra hours and money will run some of the FedEx ground trailers. I always thought that fedex wanted to keep opcos separate

MAKAVELI

I was talking to a FedEx freight driver today, that says that a few drivers at his station to get some extra hours and money will run some of the FedEx ground trailers. I always thought that fedex wanted to keep opcos separate
That's what they want you to believe. Express even sorts some of their freight and how do you think ground pkgs get to Hawaii and Puerto Rico?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That's what they want you to believe. Express even sorts some of their freight and how do you think ground pkgs get to Hawaii and Puerto Rico?

Yeah if word gets out it may jeopardize Fred's precious RLA "special deal."

So don't hesitate to shout it from the mountain tops, tell everyone you know and tell the world while you're at it..

By the way Ground got kicked out of Puerto Rico in 2009 but of course Memphis has their own sugar-coated story.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/intl/service_change/

Last edited:

STFXG

If they are running Ground trailers they are running for one of the line haul contractors. Line haul is contracted just like P&D. So, technically, they would be driving for Sokolov Inc... or whatever other russian they hire on with.

overflowed

Yeah if word gets out it may jeopardize Fred's precious RLA "special deal."

So don't hesitate to shout it from the mountain tops, tell everyone you know and tell the world while you're at it..

By the way Ground got kicked out of Puerto Rico in 2009 but of course Memphis has their own sugar-coated story.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/intl/service_change/

In an effort to improve the value we provide to our customers, FedEx Ground will discontinue FedEx International Ground® service to Puerto Rico, effective May 15, 2009. After that date, customers can direct all Puerto Rico shipments to the FedEx Express® network. in an effort to improve HAHAHAA..

MAKAVELI

If they are running Ground trailers they are running for one of the line haul contractors. Line haul is contracted just like P&D. So, technically, they would be driving for Sokolov Inc... or whatever other russian they hire on with.
FedEx employees are not allowed to work for two different opcos.;)

overflowed

Hey, have a little sensitivity, they're Ukrainians.

overflowed

Tell me you seriously believe that. Like Fedex will stick to YOUR contract. They don't stick to their own employees. I think maybe from all the accidents they may have to cover line haul every now and then.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A friend of mine drives RTD. I know he has gone to other locations and moved Ground trailers around.[/QUOTE

You need to have your RTD friend document his movements. Express employees doing Ground work is a big problem for Uncle Fred's RLA. Never mind that Ground already moves extensively through the Express system, that Ground semi drivers move Express freight, and that Express couriers are bringing Ground freight back to stations.

This is the kind of information we need to kill the RLA stranglehold.
You need to have your RTD friend document his movements. Express employees doing Ground work is a big problem for Uncle Fred's RLA. Never mind that Ground already moves extensively through the Express system, that Ground semi drivers move Express freight, and that Express couriers are bringing Ground freight back to stations.

This is the kind of information we need to kill the RLA stranglehold

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/interesting-tidbit-i-learned-today.360196/#ixzz3PnPd4gxe

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

This is the kind of information we need to kill the RLA stranglehold

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/interesting-tidbit-i-learned-today.360196/#ixzz3PnPd4gxe

Ain't gonna happen. He is still proFedEx.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I saw a Ground Truck just the other day back in and leave a Fedex Freight facility. Not sure what was going on.

Ground is also under the NLRA, just like Freight, so there isn't the RLA conflict as would be the case with Ground moving Express and vice versa. I have seen Freight semis pulling doubles where one trailer was Ground and one was Freight.

What we need to document is Ground moving Express or Express moving Ground. This would put Fred's precious RLA in jeopardy, but he's doing it anyway because he's a crook. Like I said, it's well-known that Ground already moves on Express planes to places like Alaska etc. I have also seen Ground move E2 to ramps and transport empty cans back to hubs.

If Ground was considered a "customer" of Express and paid going rates for these services, Fred could get around that. Think that's happening?

Also, every time you handle a Ground package, you are technically violating the RLA. Even transporting it to the station without processing is still moving their freight.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of the local Ground drivers stops at the Express station every night to pick up any Ground volume that may have been picked up by the Express guys during the day.

MAKAVELI

One of the local Ground drivers stops at the Express station every night to pick up any Ground volume that may have been picked up by the Express guys during the day.
Most of that volume is from people dropping off. Our csa's sell both ground and Express services. But we are separate opco.;)

UPS_RH

Despite my screen name I am a FEDEX FREIGHT city driver. This past Dec. me and a few others guys on the extra board did runs for ground. We would pick up our tractors at freight and drive to ground. We would get a dispatch paperwork from road dispatch sending us to ground. At ground we would get the run paperwork. We would hook the ground trailers, complete the run and return to our home terminal. I did this 8 or 10 times. We were paid by freight at the same rate we normally make. The paychecks looked no different. The only difference was we would have to call central dispatch to report our movements as the handhelds would not work properly.

We have done this the last two years now. So what you have heard is correct, a freight driver can run for ground and not be running for a "contractor'.

MAKAVELI

Despite my screen name I am a FEDEX FREIGHT city driver. This past Dec. me and a few others guys on the extra board did runs for ground. We would pick up our tractors at freight and drive to ground. We would get a dispatch paperwork from road dispatch sending us to ground. At ground we would get the run paperwork. We would hook the ground trailers, complete the run and return to our home terminal. I did this 8 or 10 times. We were paid by freight at the same rate we normally make. The paychecks looked no different. The only difference was we would have to call central dispatch to report our movements as the handhelds would not work properly.

We have done this the last two years now. So what you have heard is correct, a freight driver can run for ground and not be running for a "contractor'.
In other words FedEx will violate its own policy for " operational needs ".