Internet garbage

Tron

I have orientation Tuesday. I have heard my a ton of negative trash about UPS warehouse jobs everybody saying it's a scam...Are these people that just can't handle hard work/couldn't cut it? I'm older, 48. Decent shape and no stranger to hard work. Everything I've heard makes it sound like it's for single 20 somethings. Usually I can tell in about 20 seconds what kind of work ethic someone has. Will UPS recognize those of us that actually like to bust ass and don't whine like spoiled children? I just want to work. I don't want any bull*** nor do I tolerate it very well. Am I wasting my time?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I have orientation Tuesday. I have heard my a ton of negative trash about UPS warehouse jobs everybody saying it's a scam...Are these people that just can't handle hard work/couldn't cut it? I'm older, 48. Decent shape and no stranger to hard work. Everything I've heard makes it sound like it's for single 20 somethings. Usually I can tell in about 20 seconds what kind of work ethic someone has. Will UPS recognize those of us that actually like to bust ass and don't whine like spoiled children? I just want to work. I don't want any bull*** nor do I tolerate it very well. Am I wasting my time?
You’re not wasting your time. It’s fast paced and a 22 year old kid that lives in his moms basement will be your boss. They will take advantage of you is the problem. You work hard, get your 30 days in, then coast at a respectable work level and you’ll be fine. Inside the building, always best to mind your own business. Just show up on time, work as instructed, go home, collect pay/benefits. That’s it.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
If you're used to physical work, it can be a good part time gig... a great one if you consider the family medical coverage.

Ignore any drama you come across & you'll do fine.

At orientation, be sure to ask if this is a permanent position, pay, benefit info, and union dues.

I'd also get some contact information (should you need to inquire) about your hiring status.

Good luck.

DriverNerd

Will UPS recognize those of us that actually like to bust ass and don't whine like spoiled children? I just want to work. I don't want any bull*** nor do I tolerate it very well. Am I wasting my time?
You sound like supervisor material (not a compliment). If you legit want to work, make money and go home you'll be fine. If you're "recognize me for how awesome I am" you'll be a supervisor in no time.

bumped

You'll do fine. We have many in their 40's and 50's. Like others have said your supervisor will be a 20 something with dreams of being a full time supervisor. Thie numbers on a sheet of paper are the most important to them, so best workers get ridden the hardest. If you're they type of person that needs a pat on the back then this isn't the company for you.

AccidentProne

It's a scam in a sense that the pay doesn't make up for the work. An average person gets destroyed by the work required.

In terms of manual labor, I'd say UPS is on the upper end of the scale in difficulty, especially when starting out.

PT Car Washer

You sound like supervisor material (not a compliment). If you legit want to work, make money and go home you'll be fine. If you're "recognize me for how awesome I am" you'll be a supervisor in no time.
Too old with too much life experiences to be a PT sup. They want 19 year olds they can brain wash.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
You’re seasonal
🧔‍♂️✊

Brownwind

It’s just a job moving boxes. If you don’t get caught up in the stupidity you’ll be fine.

Trust me if your breathing and you show up on time you will last a long time. Protect your reputation and that of the company and you will gain the respect of everyone on your belt or loading area. Welcome aboard….

upser2020

One area they sometimes do legit recognize hard working and reliable people is when they need doubles(or triples now that it's allowed). Technically overtime is supposed to go by seniority but at least where I'm at they tend to offer it to people they know will show up and work. Being versatile can also help(say your an unloader and want extra shifts but they don't have extra work for unload you still sometimes can get doubles loading, small sort, sort/grid operations etc if you network with other departments) also getting some specific training ie forklift can sometimes open more opportunities for extra shifts.

What has been said about hard workers being taken advantage of is also true so its kinda a double edge sword. I pretty much can get a double almost any time I want but I also got used and abused(before I switched departments). I'm still part time just doing doubles until I can get a 22.3 :)

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
All you have to do is work really hard during your probationary period. Then just chill out and pull the “I’m old” card. They will give you easy work. And no I’m not joking unless you want to break your back here.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Get ready for braindead management

herbigharo32

Being at UPS since 2008, I learned it is best to not associate much with coworkers. No social media, making friends, etc.... I just show up on time, do the work, then leave immediately.