Investigative Report

UPSGUY72

How friend-ing stupid are people. In order for breaks to work you need power to them. That driver is another Darwin Award want to be. Why wasn't the car in gear and why did he release the break before he turn the car on. He must of wanted to pop start the car instead of following the proper procedure.

"YOU CAN"T FIX STUPID "

over9five

Staff member
I think the "ear splitting alarm" was for the backup electric brake booster (I'm not a mechanic, I just play one on Brown Cafe). So with the engine off, or stalled, he had zero brakes. We all know the dumb handbrake we use can loosen, and in an emergency situation he aint gonna have time to tighten it during a downhill rollaway.

1. If your handbrake loosens by itself, write it up as SAFETY. It's easily fixed.

2. STOP DRIVING if an ear splitting alarm is going off, and don't accept earplugs as the cure.

We need a real mechanics comments.

UPSGUY72

I read this even after the accident, UPS is trying to cover something up. What happened here is a flaw in the system. If your on a hill and unlock the ebrake then turn the keyless entry on you do NOT have working brakes until the car starts. Some may have experienced a slight roll when starting the van on a hill. Now thinking about it now he could have clearly pulled the ebrake again to slow down but im sure there was some panic going on.

If the car was in gear or in park this wouldn't have happen also you could have slammed it in gear at anytime.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
From what I read, there is a little blame to go around, with the exception of the helper who was permanently injured. No blame can be fixed to him, as he was only a helper without knowledge of UPS policies and procedures.

The driver has a lot of blame, simply because he either was too stupid to stop doing his job and tell his supervisors that he would no longer drive until a replacement vehicle was brought out to him, OR, he was intimidated by management threats to finish his job. Hey people, alarm systems are there for a reason. No amount of intimidation should ever make you forgo an alarm system on your vehicle. I could care less if that means your load will not get delivered. The load is besides the point. Remember? Safety first? I'm only going by what I've read on that web site, but I would pin 25% of the blame on the driver.

Then, 75% of the blame rests with UPS. Bottom line, if the equipment is faulty, it lies with them. They are the ones who spend all of this money on efficiency, then any problems within that system needs to be ironed out by UPS. The supervisor who brought out earplugs will, and should be fired post-haste. We go through this topic frequently on this forum. If safety is first, then safety is first. PERIOD. UPS can kiss the front and back side of my brown pants if they want to complain about it. Loads come secondary to safety. Now we all know when the pressure is on, management will do everything in their power to make you forget about safety to get the job done. Obviously, if a supervisor comes out and brings earplugs when a safety buzzer is blazing, then they don't want to make the proper corrections. This is not to be unexpected with this company. But ultimately, the driver should have handed the sup the keys and told him he wasn't going any further until this package car was repaired or replaced.

Now when I say 75% of the blame goes to UPS, that includes the mechanic that signed off the DVIR that, "the vehicle is OK to operate". I don't know of too many mechanics that would sign off like that without direction from a mechanic supervisor directing them to do so.

Again, I'm only going on what I've read, and some things seem to be left out. They said the truck wouldn't start, then the next sentence says they were rolling down the hill without power. Something is left out between those two statements. So I'm only writing about what I know here. I admit I don't have the whole story. And nothing was said of what possible injuries the driver suffered. Nearly everything mentioned was about the helper.

Having said that, the two most important things I take from this are, ONE, if you are a driver, and something on your truck is wrong, get it fixed before you continue. PERIOD. I don't care what kind of crap management tells you. Particularly if it is safety related. No amount of intimidation is worth getting injured for. And only you can prevent it. If it doesn't sound or feel right, chances are, you're right. Call in and get it corrected however it needs to be done. And TWO, safety is merely a buzzword at UPS. They will spend millions of dollars on safety programs and training, but where the rubber meets the road, getting the job done is their ONLY priority. Anyone who has worked here for any amount of time knows this.

Bottom line: take care of yourself because no one else will.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
A long time ago when I was part time and new we had a breakdown on road at x-mas. No trucks to bring out so what they did was very clever, they pulled the red tag of a package car and brought it out to the driver. Pretty clever thinking. I mean other then risking lives and all, but hey it was peak so that is all that matters.

UPS safety first, unless it gets in the way.

slantnosechevy

Anyone who's been driving for 15 years or less has absolutely no clue how un-safe it was to drive the old equipment. UPS got away with alot back in those days. There was 10 times less vehicles on the road and things didn't get out of the building easily. We had two mechanics who thought the price of repairs were coming out of their pockets. Brakes were always a problem in the old splinter infested 6 cubes, 5-speed 8 cubes, and the selection tray 4's. (loved the trays). When the mechanics retired 15 years ago we gave them both plaques that said "To be repaired".

Zorro

My question is: Before this accident, has any kind of injury, major or minor, occurred because of this keyless ignition system? If so, when and where?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That poor guy, if so inclined, could probably own UPS.

My keyless system died about six weeks ago and I've been old school ever since. I told our mechanic that I don't care if he ever fixes it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Anyone who's been driving for 15 years or less has absolutely no clue how un-safe it was to drive the old equipment. UPS got away with alot back in those days. There was 10 times less vehicles on the road and things didn't get out of the building easily. We had two mechanics who thought the price of repairs were coming out of their pockets. Brakes were always a problem in the old splinter infested 6 cubes, 5-speed 8 cubes, and the selection tray 4's. (loved the trays). When the mechanics retired 15 years ago we gave them both plaques that said "To be repaired".

Yeah I've only been driving a little over 6 years and drove some real junk when I first started. First peak rolled a truck over to 1,000,000 miles. I have refused to leave the building as recently as 6 months ago. Had wire belt showing on my tires and mechanics wrote it up will order tires. It's all on us people we make the last call.

Zorro

That poor guy, if so inclined, could probably own UPS.

My keyless system died about six weeks ago and I've been old school ever since. I told our mechanic that I don't care if he ever fixes it.

Do you know of any injuries sustained from similar failures of the keyless system?

OptimusPrime

Hold the phone. Who the **** took a pic of the injured employee wedged in the truck? "Umm, yeah paramedic guys, can you just wait til I get a pic of this gnarled mess?". And also looking at the pics, I'm thinking these were leaked by someone at UPS. These aren't your typical "News reporter" type shots. These pics are looking for blame. The shot of the master cylinder, the fluid reservoir the rear tire, even the coupler showing power was connected.

OptimusPrime

Nevermind. In my post was thinking that the police weren't involved. After seeing more pics, they were. So the majority of the pics make some sense. Though still don't get the one of the victim. That's pretty effed.

OptimusPrime

Yeah I've only been driving a little over 6 years and drove some real junk when I first started. First peak rolled a truck over to 1,000,000 miles. I have refused to leave the building as recently as 6 months ago. Had wire belt showing on my tires and mechanics wrote it up will order tires. It's all on us people we make the last call.

That truck must have been ancient. If it averaged 100 miles a day, six days a week(serious mileage for Saturday air), that's 31200 miles a year. To get to a million would have needed to be in service 32 years. Minus your six, it came online around 74-75-76. Cripes. I drive a pile that had been around since 89 and I thought that was bad.

my keyless system messed up last week. started it, put in gear, relaesed parking brake, started to go. then the parking break light started flashing, buzzer started beeping, and when i hit about 30 the truck cut off. no brakes and no steering. it did this several times and i now use the key again. old school