Investigative Report

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
That package car should have been scrapped a long time ago, that number makes me think it was a GMC P-1000 built about 26-27 years ago. The driver was back on that route later that week and is still employed, according to a source of mine. A supervisor bringing ear plugs out to the area and telling the driver and helper to wear them because of the dashboard alarms going off all day? A jury will have a field day with this, UPS needs to cut the helper a big check and settle out of court.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That package car should have been scrapped a long time ago, that number makes me think it was a GMC P-1000 built about 26-27 years ago. The driver was back on that route later that week and is still employed, according to a source of mine. A supervisor bringing ear plugs out to the area and telling the driver and helper to wear them because of the dashboard alarms going off all day? A jury will have a field day with this, UPS needs to cut the helper a big check and settle out of court.
That's what I was thinking too, a P1000. I hated the P8's. I was glad when they quit using the last one we had, although the last time I was at work it was still sitting in the yard.

As far as cutting a check, it can only imagine that it will be a lifetime of checks. They will be paying medical bills for the rest of his life.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
When I accepted employment with UPS 25 years ago, every package car in the fleet was a high-step, manual steering, lap-belt junker. I did not like it, but the unfortunate reality was that the vehicles did in fact meet the bare minimum safety standards that were in place at the time of manufacture.

I can accept the fact that the company made a business decision that the life of its driver was not worth the $50 expense of a 3 pt belt. What I cannot accept....is when that same company wants my active and willing participation in some stupid "safety committee" dog and pony show involving acronyms, commentaries and buzzwords for the sole purpose of passing an audit.

soberups

Regarding the keyless entry/ignition systems...

I've had one for about a year now. While the remote door opener is handy, I do not see any benefit timewise in having keyless ignition. The system is buggy and failure prone. A glitch in the system can shut the engine off without warning. Going back to standard keyed ignition while retaining the fob for opening and closing the BH door would preserve the productivity advantage while eliminating the safety liability posed by the keyless ignition.

undies

I'm waiting for the when someone turns off the car on accident. I can see it happening while on the freeway, reaching to maybe flip the switch to turn off the cargo/cab light, accidentally hitting the red off button and losing control going 70. It may seem far fetched...but anything can happen!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Regarding the keyless entry/ignition systems...

I've had one for about a year now. While the remote door opener is handy, I do not see any benefit timewise in having keyless ignition. The system is buggy and failure prone. A glitch in the system can shut the engine off without warning. Going back to standard keyed ignition while retaining the fob for opening and closing the BH door would preserve the productivity advantage while eliminating the safety liability posed by the keyless ignition.
I know that! I've had mine do that to me quite a few times. I'd be driving down the road and it would just quit. Fortunately, I've never had it happen while driving down the freeway. The last time it happened, I was sitting along side a road for an hour waiting for the mechanic. That time the key didn't even work.

soberups

I know that! I've had mine do that to me quite a few times. I'd be driving down the road and it would just quit. Fortunately, I've never had it happen while driving down the freeway. The last time it happened, I was sitting along side a road for an hour waiting for the mechanic. That time the key didn't even work.

If I am driving on the highway, in bad weather conditions or towing a pup trailer, I use the key. Keyless ignition cannot be trusted under such circumstances.

wornoutupser

The hand brake should remain on until the vehicle is started. The hand brake should hold the vehicle until the power brakes kick in.

Brownmonster,

I do not know how things are where you work, but in my center we still have many of these old GM junkers.

The biggest complaint that I have ever had against these truck is that the handbrake will NOT hold the vehicle- and I work in a mostly flat area of Florida. Looking at the slant of the road here i could almost promise that any of our older trucks would roll even with the handbrake on. We just crushed an old P8 that could have all new handbrake parts put in-tightened all the way down- and would roll off on nearly flat ground. The mechanic at that time told me that the surface area of the brake drum was not large enough to hold the weight of the vehicle. Drivers including myself wrote it up over and over again.........

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm waiting for the when someone turns off the car on accident. I can see it happening while on the freeway, reaching to maybe flip the switch to turn off the cargo/cab light, accidentally hitting the red off button and losing control going 70. It may seem far fetched...but anything can happen!
Technically it's not supposed to shut off unless in park not exactly sure how they work on the manuals. Those will all be gone in 5 years or so anyway though.

AKCoverMan

While I agree of course the safty concerns need to be addressed if we go back to using the ign key it means having to carry the key to and from the stop on your finger again. I love not having to jack with the key while trying to write out an info note. It's nice not to have to carry the key, just clip the fob on in the morning.

But ignoring the alarm (and bringing out earplugs for goshsakes!) was a dumb move.

I once pretriped a corked package car and found the turn signals and four ways inop. center manager told me "just be real careful and write it up at the end of the day". I asked him if I had an accident caused by failure to signal would he back me up and absolve me of consequence?

Needless to say a car swap followed in fairly short order. I had late reds. I hate service failures so much you would think I was management. But in this case: oh well!

Indecisi0n

While I agree of course the safty concerns need to be addressed if we go back to using the ign key it means having to carry the key to and from the stop on your finger again. I love not having to jack with the key while trying to write out an info note. It's nice not to have to carry the key, just clip the fob on in the morning.

But ignoring the alarm (and bringing out earplugs for goshsakes!) was a dumb move.

I once pretriped a corked package car and found the turn signals and four ways inop. center manager told me "just be real careful and write it up at the end of the day". I asked him if I had an accident caused by failure to signal would he back me up and absolve me of consequence?

Needless to say a car swap followed in fairly short order. I had late reds. I hate service failures so much you would think I was management. But in this case: oh well!

Or running to the bathroom having to pee so bad and while your going realizing the key is still on your finger.

Automaton

Has anyone else encountered a situation where the truck stalls out and the button on the dash will not restart it until you hit the key fob again? I'm just wondering if this is normal, or if the truck I was driving isn't functioning properly. Being stalled in the middle of a busy intersection is not a fun place to be fumbling for the key fob.

OptimusPrime

Has anyone else encountered a situation where the truck stalls out and the button on the dash will not restart it until you hit the key fob again? I'm just wondering if this is normal, or if the truck I was driving isn't functioning properly. Being stalled in the middle of a busy intersection is not a fun place to be fumbling for the key fob.

That's how it's supposed to operate.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

That's normal. It's one of the issues being discussed. In UPS world we are all perfect and never stall a vehicle with a manual transmission. This may not be an issue when all the vehicles are automatics. That will take a few more decades.

Nolimitz

Wow. I drive a W900 w/ FedEx that has a key-less system. Ours are quite different. It is an IR wrist band that has to be in close proximity to finger switch to operate. There is no key or key fob involved at all. Also have an auto tranny. I never dis-engage p-brake before engine is running and I am in drive /w foot on the brake... P-brake off is last step before proceeding. Think there was some driver error in this major FUBAR

Hope this helper never has to work again for a pay check. He paid his dues...

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Wow. I drive a W900 w/ FedEx that has a key-less system. Ours are quite different. It is an IR wrist band that has to be in close proximity to finger switch to operate. There is no key or key fob involved at all. Also have an auto tranny. I never dis-engage p-brake before engine is running and I am in drive /w foot on the brake... P-brake off is last step before proceeding. Think there was some driver error in this major FUBAR

Hope this helper never has to work again for a pay check. He paid his dues...

Ever have a helper and 300+ stops? Part of the issue is unrealistic expectations that cause lapses in judgement and human error. UPS plays the percentages.

Nolimitz

no helpers ever. Or 300+ stops. don't think either are safe in one of these death trap trucks. Was commenting mostly on different key-less systems.