Is 5 days of scratch actually mandatory

MG16

New driver here 10 days into my 30 to qualify and I getting more and more pressure to be faster everyday. The first 3 days on my own I was running about 3 hours over in a route with 130 stops 6 pickups.Starting last week I’ve been getting back to building before 5 which they said I was “minutes” from almost running scratch. Now that they’ve seen I’ve picked fast they added another 30 stops making it around 160-165 stops. I got back to the facility today and clocked out by 5:30, I didn’t take a break and instead used my break time on the drive back to make my SPOR even better (probably around 26), now I feel they’ll add even more stops. Can they do that on what’s supposed to be a training route? Every other day someone is talking to me about scratch meanwhile I have my truck organized to the T and I’m running for 85% of my stops wasting zero time. Do you think they’re just using me to run and gun just to dq me on my 30th day

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
New driver here 10 days into my 30 to qualify and I getting more and more pressure to be faster everyday. The first 3 days on my own I was running about 3 hours over in a route with 130 stops 6 pickups.Starting last week I’ve been getting back to building before 5 which they said I was “minutes” from almost running scratch. Now that they’ve seen I’ve picked fast they added another 30 stops making it around 160-165 stops. I got back to the facility today and clocked out by 5:30, I didn’t take a break and instead used my break time on the drive back to make my SPOR even better (probably around 26), now I feel they’ll add even more stops. Can they do that on what’s supposed to be a training route? Every other day someone is talking to me about scratch meanwhile I have my truck organized to the T and I’m running for 85% of my stops wasting zero time. Do you think they’re just using me to run and gun just to dq me on my 30th day
If they are what are you going to do different

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I’m just wondering if running a couple minutes over scratch for 5 days would still qualify me good enough as a cover driver
If they like you you'll qualify, if they don't you won't. They'll use numbers to justify whatever decision they make but ultimately what matters the most is if they like you or not. They like the kind of drivers that they think are gonna help them out at peak, they don't like the kind of drivers that are gonna run 2 hours over and file a lot of grievances. You got 30 days to convince them that you're the first kind.

holdingmybreath

If you came close to running scratch on your 10th day I wouldn't worry too much about it, just keep trying to improve as the days go by. For the training route I'm inclined to think that the most stops you could get would be whatever would come naturally on that route, if they add extra stops that are outside the route they can't really hold that against you. I would also echo what Jones is saying, if they like you and you're close I would bet money that you make it, I'm sure your hub is desperate for drivers now.

Whereistheunion

Sounds like your doing great, I would only advise that you take a real lunch break. A question at some point would be do you plan to work or drive through your lunch breaks for the remainder of your career. Other then that sounds like your on way to qualifying, don't get into any accidents.

Like it was said above. If they like you they will keep you.
In the beginning when I qualified, they only gave me around 60%of the whole route. As I got faster they added more resi. Which just increased my efficiency.
If your coming close on day 10 you're doing just fine. You're just now learning the basics. Build on that and crush the resi's.

And don't complain when they screw you with 200 stops in a P5. IT'S A TEST. They wanna see that you'll dig in and get it done.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
makes me sick to my stomach UPS promotes “faster” than “safer”...no wonder the safety picture is terrible. Oh well , keep the tier 3s coming boys.
🧔✊

specter208

How many stops were you doing at first. Feels like you were only doing partial route and they added more stops now that they feel you can handle more work.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
If they like you you'll qualify, if they don't you won't. They'll use numbers to justify whatever decision they make but ultimately what matters the most is if they like you or not. They like the kind of drivers that they think are gonna help them out at peak, they don't like the kind of drivers that are gonna run 2 hours over and file a lot of grievances. You got 30 days to convince them that you're the first kind.
You do absolutely whatever it takes to qualify. After 30 days and you’re in, drop the anchor on them.
Combine these two posts into a sticky...

Helping.

The first couple days that you are on your own they send you out under dispatched that so you can get used to doing this job. Then I gradually ratchet it up.

MG16

How many stops were you doing at first. Feels like you were only doing partial route and they added more stops now that they feel you can handle more work.
I had 130 at first which I struggled with cause I wasn’t organized but I now I’m running 165 stops with 6 pickups. I scratched last Thursday was over by literally a minute on Friday so idk if they’ll count it but I scratched today for sure. I think just need 2 or 3 more days in row but every time I’m close to 5 in a row I’ll get a random ods pickups or message right around 4 o’clock as if they’re doing it on purpose it’s very frustrating but I’m not giving up