Is anyone following Wisconsin?

brett636

No way bro. Look at health care. In the private sector health care, bureaucracy, profit taking and overhead is between 10 and 20% a year. Medicare is about 3%. It is the profit motive which is pushing health care costs through the roof. You want to privatize all basic services ?? You want private fire fighters, public schools, sanitation, the post office, social workers, etc?? They have tried that in other countries and it fails the people. No thanks!

You need to do some more research there buddy. Private schools consistently out perform public schools, my city contracts its sanitation work out to private companies who do the job just fine, and considering you really are a UPS employee why in the world you use the post office as an example of government efficiency? Maybe its time you gave this fight up because its obvious you have lost.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
so this really about changing elected leaders ? not a economic budget ?

What do you think of the I-90 and etc Toll Takers in Massachusetts that are making 80-100k / year? Most of them hired through political ties...Dan Rea had a heart attack when talking about them and the Thanksgiving "strike" went down a few years ago.

M

MenInBrown

I haven't been watching much in WIS, but I would say if there is nothing to get, and the state is broke, what can u get? I guess just raise the taxes, and thats going up on the federal level also, so I think we are screwed on both ends...SUCKS!

bbsam

Staff member
I haven't been watching much in WIS, but I would say if there is nothing to get, and the state is broke, what can u get? I guess just raise the taxes, and thats going up on the federal level also, so I think we are screwed on both ends...SUCKS!
And if they no longer have bargaining rights? What happens down the road when the state "recovers" from it's economic "woes"?

804brown

You need to do some more research there buddy. Private schools consistently out perform public schools, my city contracts its sanitation work out to private companies who do the job just fine, and considering you really are a UPS employee why in the world you use the post office as an example of government efficiency? Maybe its time you gave this fight up because its obvious you have lost.

On the Post Office, I still think it is amazing how they can get a letter coast to coast in a couple of days for only 42 cents. Not bad!

804brown

What do you think of the I-90 and etc Toll Takers in Massachusetts that are making 80-100k / year? Most of them hired through political ties...Dan Rea had a heart attack when talking about them and the Thanksgiving "strike" went down a few years ago.

What is wrong with people making a decent living, especially in such a high cost of living area like Boston. Why attack workers when they make good money? They use their good wages to keep the economy going. Why not attack the real drain on our economy: the bloated military budget and its accompanying wars. Right there you got about $1 TRILLION a year ("defense'' budget plus wars plus vets expenses). Why not attack the fat cats making millions if not billions on Wall St?

island1fox

Yeah lets get rid of the military, there is no evil in the world and lets screw our vets.
Wow, no wonder 804 has so many threads and problems.

804brown

Yeah lets get rid of the military, there is no evil in the world and lets screw our vets.
Wow, no wonder 804 has so many threads and problems.

Supposed to be for "defense", not curing the world of "evil". On the vets, if we werent in so many wars lately, we wouldnt have so many sick and injured vets. We spend more than the rest of the world combined on the military. Time to bring it all home!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Supposed to be for "defense", not curing the world of "evil". On the vets, if we werent in so many wars lately, we wouldnt have so many sick and injured vets. We spend more than the rest of the world combined on the military. Time to bring it all home!

Ever heard of Isolationism?? Didn't work out to well for US last time...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolationism

Leave the Defense Department alone, you can't even fix your "little" local, how you going to tell the government how to fix something.

from a VETERAN.

804brown

Ever heard of Isolationism?? Didn't work out to well for US last time...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolationism

Leave the Defense Department alone, you can't even fix your "little" local, how you going to tell the government how to fix something.

from a VETERAN.

Ever hear of Imperialism?? Didn't work out to well for the Romans, British, Soviets, etc!! When you give me a good reason to sustain 800 military bases around the world, I wil take your advice!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ever hear of Imperialism?? Didn't work out to well for the Romans, British, Soviets, etc!! When you give me a good reason to sustain 800 military bases around the world, I wil take your advice!

Actually the Romans and British empires are the two greatest empires in the history of man. A small city state in Italy controlled the Mediterranean area for over 600 years and brought great prosperity to the Romans. Pretty much the same for the British Empire except it circled the globe although it lasted just a couple hundred years. The US hegemony has only been an ongoing effort for 60 years.
The Soviet Union was a bunch of leftist who believed in centralized government and doling out goods and services to the citizens without any private economy ... sound familiar.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Actually the Romans and British empires are the two greatest empires in the history of man. A small city state in Italy controlled the Mediterranean area for over 600 years and brought great prosperity to the Romans. Pretty much the same for the British Empire except it circled the globe although it lasted just a couple hundred years. The US hegemony has only been an ongoing effort for 60 years.
The Soviet Union was a bunch of leftist who believed in centralized government and doling out goods and services to the citizens without any private economy ... sound familiar.

All of the discussion I've heard so far, the organizations all share a common disability: polarism.

There is middle ground. It just takes effort and discomfort from all sides. If it's inevitable, don't let the other side decide what you will contribute. Organize now and have a good offer to bring to the table.

I've heard that something like $4,500 per person in the US would balance our budget. My husband and I can do that and perhaps help a couple others meet their obligation. We would most certainly be willing to if we knew we hadda lotta company.

If we don't come up with a solution pretty soon we each stand to lose much more than that.

rod

Retired 22 years
All of the discussion I've heard so far, the organizations all share a common disability: polarism.

There is middle ground. It just takes effort and discomfort from all sides. If it's inevitable, don't let the other side decide what you will contribute. Organize now and have a good offer to bring to the table.

I've heard that something like $4,500 per person in the US would balance our budget. My husband and I can do that and perhaps help a couple others meet their obligation. We would most certainly be willing to if we knew we hadda lotta company.

If we don't come up with a solution pretty soon we each stand to lose much more than that.

You are off a little bit. The latest figures I could come up with real quick like is that every man, woman and child would have to come up with $45,594.31 to balance the budget. Hows that for a bill to hand the Grandkids

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The problem with wisconsin, is that NONE of you understand the problem in the first place. Whether it be a cable news channel like FOX demonizing the teachers, professors, policemen, firemen and janitors for making a living wage, or the heartbeat of the unions trying to stay alive in this country, no one is getting the bigger picture.

The reality of this situation has many sides to it. First and foremost, you ALL have to understand how each state got into this stupid mess in the first place.

The ever so wonderful George W. Bush had a concept, along with his supporters in the house and senate to open up capitalism to the unions in each state. Those unions INVESTED heavily in wall street during the first few years of GW's term. TYCO, ENRON and the like collapsed and took with it BILLIONS OF UNION invested dollars.

The Teamsters lost huge dollars in the West, Central States and in the East. The remaining unions lost billions of dollars from teachers to goverment workers.

Then, if that wasnt bad enough, GW created his "home ownership society" program in 2002. This wonderful idea created the housing bubble that expanded and then blew up in ALL OUR faces. The unions were participants in this hoax by investing in banks and investment firms and buying junk mortages as securities based upon inflated appraisal values.

Once the housing bubble blew, those investments tanked all unions across this country. (Both private industry and Goverment investments).

Now, the states have to make good on those pensions and benefits despite the huge investment losses. The problem is simple, the banks and investment firms that BUSH bailed out before he left and those that President Obama bailed out got interest free loans from the Fed and were able to recover, yet, all the hard working people that paid into those pensions for years are left holding the bag.

Now, the republicans want the middle class union workers to pay for corruption that "they" (the republicans) created in the first place and leave the banks and investment firms untouched.

All the union pensions that are in deficits currently are NOT in deficits because people make TOO much money, its because the pension funds were invested poorly.

Everyone needs to understand this. Its not a matter of negotiated salaries, its a matter of mishandling of investments.

The republicans are merely USING the pension issues to make a collective attack against the hard working middle class of this country.

For years, the republicans have waged war on the middle class and now you can actually see it happening right before your eyes, unlike all the other attempts.

For instance, every year, the republicans in the senate continue to try and eliminate the federal mimimum wage but fall short. On strick party line votes, every republican votes for ending the fed min wage and every democrat votes against it.

People need to wake up to this nonsense. The republicans are aggressively attacking "US" the middle class workers of this country.

They sucked in our unions into wall street scams, screwed them out of billions, and now they want the teachers to pay extra for the failure while the banks, investment firms and wall street millionaires keep their money. Is this hard to comprehend?

Those posters on this board who are regular FOX news watchers, come onto this board and merely repeat the B/S as if they are talking intelligently, and "they" know who they are.

The problem is the problem isnt being explained and the problem with that is that people are being sold a bag of dooty by a political party and a right wing cable news channel.

Even if wisconsin can pass this bill and eliminate union collective bargaining rights, it only solves 10% of the debt. This would not even make a dent in the bigger problem of the state.

Peace.

brett636

On the Post Office, I still think it is amazing how they can get a letter coast to coast in a couple of days for only 42 cents. Not bad!

You need to read the news a little more often. The post office is hemoraging money, and is preparing to close 2,000 offices. Again not a good example of a well run government agency. Oh, and the post office is supposed to be run as a private company with a government backing, but the government is too inept to make the post office competitive even with a price advantage over its competitors. Try again.