Is being an overachiever at UPS worth it?

oldngray

nowhere special
hFB8D2F1F

oldngray

nowhere special
Half the woman you used to be? Or split into twins? Losing weight IS tough. After I retired I blimped up like a feeder driver but finally lost the extra 50 pounds. A lot of steamed veggies and celery and carrot sticks.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Half the woman you used to be? Or split into twins? Losing weight IS tough. After I retired I blimped up like a feeder driver but finally lost the extra 50 pounds. A lot of steamed veggies and celery and carrot sticks.
Preload keeps the weight off. If I ever quit...I'd have to join a gym (and force myself to go) or I'd pack on the pounds.

oldngray

nowhere special
Preload keeps the weight off. If I ever quit...I'd have to join a gym (and force myself to go) or I'd pack on the pounds.

I use an elliptical machine most of the time. I just had to buy a new one since I wore out my old one. I also have a rowing machine and weight bench but I usually use the elliptical.

30 to life

I've been a loader for a few months and I was seasonal but they kept me and since then I guess they saw potential in me. I've heard from other coworkers working hard will gain you respect, but nothing else, and to stay an average worker. I defiantly take pride if I do well but let's be honest, is it worth the backbreaking labor to go that extra mile? Would you rather work very hard and have respect or be average and have less expected? You're still getting the same amount of $ obviously.
The harder you work the sooner your back will give out. You got a long way to go.

Rawrzxor

I'll say this much, if I have the energy, I will use it. Luckily, I was traded (sounds odd. Trading people sounds familiar) to a rather decent supervisor whom really doesn't care one way or another how hard we work, but will begin screaming when the upper sups start getting on his back. A new sup, which may be why he's decent; incidentally, I'm sure that will change over time. The general consensus is basically, to my understanding,

"Don't break your body or hurt yourself trying to give your supervisors 600PPH with irregs, 50-60-780IIb packages, and scanning included (for you lucky old-timers whom actually made good money and did less work back in the day); but, don't be that lazy :censored2: who hardly does 100-150PPH just because he can get away with it."

Also, I find it ironic that in the hub, cursing abounds; yet, on the forums, it's censored. Lolz.

By The Book

I th
I'll say this much, if I have the energy, I will use it. Luckily, I was traded (sounds odd. Trading people sounds familiar) to a rather decent supervisor whom really doesn't care one way or another how hard we work, but will begin screaming when the upper sups start getting on his back. A new sup, which may be why he's decent; incidentally, I'm sure that will change over time. The general consensus is basically, to my understanding,

"Don't break your body or hurt yourself trying to give your supervisors 600PPH with irregs, 50-60-780IIb packages, and scanning included (for you lucky old-timers whom actually made good money and did less work back in the day); but, don't be that lazy :censored2: who hardly does 100-150PPH just because he can get away with it."

Also, I find it ironic that in the hub, cursing abounds; yet, on the forums, it's censored. Lolz.
I think ups has a track record on how to get the most out of all classifications. At first you think it's not possible, or right to work that hard, but over time, and with the opportunity to advance, you will go thru just about anything to get into their good graces. Unfortunately a good workpace doesn't seem to be enough. You will break physically and emotionally . It's a marathon not a sprint. Make book and include your steward thru your career.

BigBeef42

Work hard while others sit on their :censored2:? Fug that.... blow ur back out and you'll find out the answer to ur question real quick.

As a part timer I give em 80%.... max

Sent using BrownCafe App

Integrity

Binge Poster
I've been a loader for a few months and I was seasonal but they kept me and since then I guess they saw potential in me. I've heard from other coworkers working hard will gain you respect, but nothing else, and to stay an average worker. I defiantly take pride if I do well but let's be honest, is it worth the backbreaking labor to go that extra mile? Would you rather work very hard and have respect or be average and have less expected? You're still getting the same amount of $ obviously.
Ant12,

No.

Sincerely,
I

BigBeef42

Do yourself a huge favor---lose the insider mentality when you go driving. You can thank me later.

Yes, thank you, I do know that.

Part time and full time are 2 very different animals. I'm a customer clerk and talk with drivers every day about their experiences.

That's why I specified "part time" in my post.... I have wayyy more respect for drivers then I will ever have for PTers.

Sent using BrownCafe App

crazymoon2

As a 36 yr. veteran I can tell you this. When I started as a part-timer in a small center I unloaded package cars as they cam in. One night a loader called in and they put me in a trailer, I was young and it was no big deal I did the job and ended up loading trailers. A couple of days later another loader called in, well my supervisor said we were short handed and if I could help out and load 2 trailers that night. Again I was young and stupid, no big deal. Well from that day I loaded 2 trailers at a time. Well I learned that the more you do the more they want, all they care about is making the numbers look good for them (supervisors).
When I went full time it was the same. If the route had 110 stops and 25 pick ups they added 5 more stops, if you did them next day they added a split (you know "Can you help out today because we are a little heavy"). If you do that guess what you start getting on a regular day? More work and you had to do it in the same amount of time.
So if you want to be an "Over Achiever" go ahead, I always liked to have those around me because they would always get work off of me and give it to them.
One of my best stories is a driver had to come get 20 stops off of me because I was over dispatched. He pulls up and bitching and complaining " I haven't had lunch today and I had to come help you". I said "Really, I took my whole hour, sat and ate a good lunch and read the paper. I guess your going to start taking your hour lunch, right?"

BigBeef42

Crazymoon-

It took me 3 years at ups to realize I was doing wayyy more work then necessary.

I have done farm work and was used to working hard for damn-near no pay. When i went to UPS they kept me so busy loading trailers I never had a chance to look around at all the PTers lolly gagging.

The slower you go the more help you get. Only in murica!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Z

ZQXC

It's impossible to be an overachiever at ups, because they will keep raising the bar until you discover that you are really
least best.