Is being an overachiever at UPS worth it?

PT Car Washer

are you loading trailers???

when I started, 600 per loader, 1000 per unloader...... 250???
Loaders have to scan every package now. Slows you down a bit, but they can tell when you have misloaded a package. I believe our unload rate has always been 1250 an hour. Was a lot easier when max. package weight was 35lbs and then 50lbs.

RandomDrone

are you loading trailers???

when I started, 600 per loader, 1000 per unloader...... 250???
600 PPH per loader is absolutely insane in most if not every bay. You can not sustain that even in bays with functioning equipment and a flow of mostly small light packages. Add in large or awkwardly shaped packages and extendos that do not work well and it's fantasy land.

Edit: If you are in excellent shape and just lay it all out every day then you might be able to hit it, but I don't care who you are; if something goes wrong like a lot of jams or whatever, you just can not do it. And if you can, have fun with your repetitive stress injury.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Loaders have to scan every package now. Slows you down a bit, but they can tell when you have misloaded a package. I believe our unload rate has always been 1250 an hour. Was a lot easier when max. package weight was 35lbs and then 50lbs.
In hindsight, the weight limit on packages is something we really should have never compromised on in any contract.

50+pound packages down a chute are dangerous. Huge HP printers and computers, canned food (pediasure etc), reams of printer paper, the list goes on.

The worst part is they dump trailers full of this crap all at once. If I could load this stuff to the ground no big deal, but hundreds in a row... you're forced to lift hundreds of 50+lb. packages 9 feet high because some pimple faced supervisor has a stick up his butt about load quality.

Sorry for the rant.... bottom line: their expectations are ridiculous, just show up on time and work safe, everything else is management's problem.

browntroll

are we doing the number thing again? it seems like every year around this time we start getting numbers pushed on to
pters. i went to the unload today and had a pt sup tell me they expected me to unload at 1200pph, they even had a board out
stating how fast the unloaders are going(name and pph). im assuming its just an expectation and not something i have to do?

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
are we doing the number thing again? it seems like every year around this time we start getting numbers pushed on to
pters. i went to the unload today and had a pt sup tell me they expected me to unload at 1200pph, they even had a board out
stating how fast the unloaders are going(name and pph). im assuming its just an expectation and not something i have to do?
You take a box off the wall and throw it on the chute. Do that 20 times a minute and that's 1200.

browntroll

1200pph is not that hard to do. Keeping that rate up for 3 or 4 hours may be.
tell that to most of the unloaders in my hub. i hit 1200 easily but try not to go faster than that so i lag my feet with bulk and small sort bags.
most of the unloaders at my hub are hitting 700-800. i saw one guy they put a question mark, i asked about it and they said he took 2 1/2 hours in a 53ft trailer but
still didnt finish it so they just sent him home. and Johnny Paycheck we have conveyor belts so its even easier to hit that number not sure why
so many cant do it or maybe they just refuse to do it.

Shep92

Numbers don't mean anything to me anymore. Especially in the summer what it's 95 to 100 with high humidity. I was told they can't slow down production just because its ridiculously hot.

wayfair

swollen member
600 PPH per loader is absolutely insane in most if not every bay. You can not sustain that even in bays with functioning equipment and a flow of mostly small light packages. Add in large or awkwardly shaped packages and extendos that do not work well and it's fantasy land.

Edit: If you are in excellent shape and just lay it all out every day then you might be able to hit it, but I don't care who you are; if something goes wrong like a lot of jams or whatever, you just can not do it. And if you can, have fun with your repetitive stress injury.

only repetitive stress injury I got was in Preload, my 3 PC's were oilfield deliveries... but that was 20 years ago... looking back I was an overachiever.. just young

Island

I'd dare a supervisor to send me home because I was working under their required numbers. I would double dog dare him, with a string of laughter and probably curse words on top, and probably start collecting witness signatures for the grievance while he was still blowing a gasket.

Rawrzxor

All the employees tell me that it doesn't matter what your pph is as long as it's over 200-250. And yeah, we're scanning and loading packages up to 100 pounds, not just small 10-40 pound packages that make a perfect wall. This last week I've managed to pop 300, but mostly because I actually had people pushing down for me. Breaking jams, pushing down, picking up the boxes that fall, throwing the misloads out, and you're not going to hit 400-500. Then, loading the awkwardly shaped 50+ boxes.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Rawrzxor

Just keep slaving away without demanding more.
How about the problem is that they crank it out way to fast. If we could demand earlier start times and deal with things at a more manageable pace, it would be a different story. And hey we'd be getting paid more too!
If they would give us enough employees to get it done as fast as they want in a more efficient manner, it would be a different story. Then in theory the union would be stronger with more members, potentially getting us even better conditions. But that's only if the members are smart enough to not only understand the system but utilize it.
If the management would do the REAL work in the hubs and not just the easiest jobs for brief periods of time, quitting and moving on to something else whenever they please, maybe they would stop :censored2:ing us over every day and understand that they are stealing from somone and doing physical labor they shouldn't even have to do. But the just run around with the head up either management's or their own ass all day.
This older generation seems to have a, "Shut the hell up, work your body away and be grateful that someone ALLOWS you to exist, and they give you "good" pay with great "potential" to earn more! Plus they "give you" great benefits just shut up and take it! That's just how it is"
Or something along those lines.
While the younger people seem to be demanding more, saying that they shouldn't have to put up with the conditions we work in. Yeah this job is a lot better than a lot of what's out there, but a pile of :censored2: is still a pile of :censored2: even if one turd has some corn in it.
I don't care if it doesn't sound political or any of that but one guy doesn't need to earn 4000 times more than the very people who earned him his money in the first place.
But hey no one agrees with how I see the world and my views on anything so I guess I'll just shut the :censored2: up, and go to sleep to wake up tomorrow and go destroy my self for 10.50 an hour.
Until we don't live in a world where profit is more important than a person, no one's hearin what I'm sayin!
* the sad thing is that while I sit here and complain about stuff like this in a heated home on a computer connected to the internet, they're rioting in Ukraine, killing each other in Africa, Iraq bla bla bla world conflict list goes on and on....
I guess you can label me a stupid "hippy" world peace advocate lazy bum whatever you wanna call it...But the world just isn't a place I'm really liking right now. I feel like maybe feeling "stuck" at UPS makes me feel this way... but I'm free to go to college and get a good job and free to do this and that and bla bla so maybe since I can't adjust to this system I should go check in to a nut house or something.
But the thing is I know I'm not the only one with all these feelings. But I don't know the answers either. It's just a tough realization I'm trying to get over at this point in my life I guess.
There's enough here for everyone to have enough to be more than happy so why can't we work together to coexist happily? It's something that freezes the computer in my brain with the error "can not compute"
I just got the benefits "UPS" "gave me" [:censored2:ty as the union is, without it we'd be making minimum wage with NO benefits of any kind] so maybe I should use em on a therapist.

Exactly. I'm not exactly sure how to overcome that perspective, either. It requires either the older generations way of thinking, which is probably impossible; because, I think we're correct, and this is bull:censored2:. Or, it requires leaving and finding a job that we actually enjoy doing. However, that's easier said than done, since the only jobs that are really available are :censored2:ty ones or ones with low pay. Or, going to school and paying ridiculous tuition costs (though, the UPS tuition reimbursement can buy you your A.S/A degree, which *is* very nice), in order to have a shaky shot at an enjoyable/decently beneficial job.

Ultimately, we're pretty much :censored2:ed. We are *semi-owned*, and required to serve under the 'gracious' masters whom profit endlessly due to our hard work. This may seem like hyperbole to older generations, but it really isn't. This is the kind of system that we serve under; a system which propagates poverty, hunger, and crime by use of money. If more people saw this, we could probably change something; but, alone, as individuals, the only thing we can do is stagger on.

It's an endlessly depressing perspective, and, I think that's because it's the truth. Another truth is that we *are* relatively lucky, sadly, to have a job like this, with the benefits and okay pay. And that's even more depressing.

Very lucky to have the union, though. Without the union, there's no way I would have applied for UPS, even though I've been hearing some lackluster things about it, recently.

Rawrzxor

Remember kids, if work were fun we'd be paying them instead of them paying us.

The entire issue with this is that workers don't think they're being paid enough for the work they do. It's not about it being fun or not, it's about being rightly compensated. The starting pay has stayed at 8.50 for 20 some odd years. That may have been awesome back in the good 'ol days, but it's not anymore.

It would have to be bumped up to 13.5 dollars an hour in order to compensate for inflation. While the raises are very nice, and the benefits are some of the best around in accessibility (which is sad), the pay isn't exactly good enough for the work, at this point, for me. So, we bitch. If I was making 13.50 (the equivalent of what 8.50 was 20 years ago), with the promise of raises every year, I wouldn't care. That would be fantastic.

I already appreciate being able to work for a company that will eventually earn me a living wage, but until then, gosh darn it :censored2:ing :censored2: :censored2: :censored2:. In addition, it's still depressing that this *is* one of the better jobs around. The recession, huge inflation, huge wealth inequality, lack of opportunities. The Anti-American dream.

We have a right to bitch about the previous generation :censored2:ing everything up.